2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be tiresome to you mate and that's fine, I hear it on here and I hear it at Goodison, it's real.

He's not crying about anything, he was full of praise for the club in May.

I'm just giving my view about a player I like and I want him to leave so I don't have to read and listen to the mindless abuse he takes.

I'm a snowflake.
Is it mindless abuse to criticize your main goal scorer for only chipping in with 14 goals in 3 seasons?

That's fair criticism. If you're Beto, Maupay or Chermiti that doesn't raise an eyebrow but we have to put a double standard in place for Dom for some reason.

Is it mindless abuse to criticize your main goal scorer for only chipping in with 14 goals in 3 seasons?

That's fair criticism. If you're Beto, Maupay or Chermiti that doesn't raise an eyebrow but we have to put a double standard in place for Dom for some reason.
If it was about the goals, I wouldn't mind.

I think it's unfair to assume that the majority of people who don't worship the ground he walks on are that way because he wore culottes once and not because he's been a massive let down since he signed that contract after his Carlo form.
Did you boo him when he broke his cheekbone?

Did you boo him when he broke his cheekbone?
No, I wasn't there and as frustrated as I was when I thought he had gone down and was assuming he was "feeling a twinge in his muscle" ( as had been the case for the two horrid seasons previous) the most I did was let out a loud sigh of exasperation.

When it became clear it wasn't a reappearance of that "muscle fatigue" injury and was a whack to the face I held my hands up. It was borne of frustration we were losing our best striker again, not anger with him for being injured.

I get some people have crossed that line but I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed with how it's turned out for us and him since that contract. Not his fault but I don't think we should tell folk off for expressing reasonable frustration with his last three years of performances.

We were hoping to rely on him to continue to be that striker we had under Carlo and we haven't been able to, that's perfectly reasonable to be frustrated by.

15 goals in 67 appearances** over the last 3 seasons. Much of which has been blighted by injury.

That's still about 1 in 4 which is broadly his career average with us and, imo, isn't that bad considering how poor we have been.

**according to dat der wiki

Then it's not directed at you or people like you.

It is when this single event is being used to generalize the entire support, or the majority of it, as not having backed him for 8 years.

We've been incredibly generous and patient with him, both at the start of his career and recently. Outside of that 18 month spell with Carlo he hasn't achieved what he's capable of producing here.

If, as you suggest, that single day of booing was enough to make him decide to turn his back on the 8 years of opportunities and hefty financial rewards the club has given him then I think that says more about him as a person than it does the fans who booed him.

It is when this single event is being used to generalize the entire support, or the majority of it, as not having backed him for 8 years.

We've been incredibly generous and patient with him, both at the start of his career and recently. Outside of that 18 month spell with Carlo he hasn't achieved what he's capable of producing here.

If, as you suggest, that single day of booing was enough to make him decide to turn his back on the 8 years of opportunities and hefty financial rewards the club has given him then I think that says more about him as a person than it does the fans who booed him.
It's not a single day, it's been happening every game for 2 years.

That game was just the nadir.

15 goals in 67 appearances** over the last 3 seasons. Much of which has been blighted by injury.

That's still about 1 in 4 which is broadly his career average with us and, imo, isn't that bad considering how poor we have been.

**according to dat der wiki
I'd argue there's a definite argument that we have possibly been that poor because we stuck by him with the faith that a 1-in-4 striker should be our main man.

It's very chicken and the egg. Are we a crap team because our striker scores at a rate of 1 in 4? Or is our striker crap because we are a poor team?

Having seen Dom here over 8 years with various other players and managers, I know what I believe.

It's not a single day, it's been happening every game for 2 years.

That game was just the nadir.
No it hasn't. What other games has he been boo'd by the support in Goat? If it had happened as constantly as you say then we wouldn't be bringing up that match specifically as the one where he got boo'd.

What's happened is people got tired of waiting for him to be the striker he was when gave him that contract. I don't blame anyone for being frustrated with the fact that, for whatever reason, Dom has been poor and struggled for fitness.

Two years of hearing he has "muscle fatigue" is going to stretch most people's patience when he is the main man we rely on. The way he dropped that day with the cheekbone injury looked similar to how he did in those two seasons when his legs just gave out. To some people it looks like he just simply isn't arsed, they're wrong but it can appear like that.

No it hasn't. What other games has he been boo'd by the support in Goat? If it had happened as constantly as you say then we wouldn't be bringing up that match specifically as the one where he got boo'd.

What's happened is people got tired of waiting for him to be the striker he was when gave him that contract. I don't blame anyone for being frustrated with the fact that, for whatever reason, Dom has been poor and struggled for fitness.

Two years of hearing he has "muscle fatigue" is going to stretch most people's patience when he is the main man we rely on. The way he dropped that day with the cheekbone injury looked similar to how he did in those two seasons when his legs just gave out. To some people it looks like he just simply isn't arsed, they're wrong but it can appear like that.
Ok mate.

Let's hope he moves on and makes everybody happy.

I'd argue there's a definite argument that we have possibly been that poor because we stuck by him with the faith that a 1-in-4 striker should be our main man.

It's very chicken and the egg. Are we a crap team because our striker scores at a rate of 1 in 4? Or is our striker crap because we are a poor team?

Having seen Dom here over 8 years with various other players and managers, I know what I believe.
We were crap without him, and much better when he was in the team. I know that because I saw the performances, over the last few years.
You think we have been crap just because we had DCL upfront? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.