2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Again, were we down that low because our main man was scoring 4, 5, and 7 goals over those seasons?

I'd say that probably had something to do with it. We weren't a bottom half team when he was scoring double figures, he stops scoring double figures and we slide down the table. Chicken and the egg.

I'm not suggesting we were a crap team because of him. I'm simply pointing out that ANY team who's top goal scorer bags 7 at most a season is going to be struggling.
You literally did suggest that. You actually said:
.... Are we a crap team because our striker scores at a rate of 1 in 4? Or is our striker crap because we are a poor team?

Having seen Dom here over 8 years with various other players and managers, I know what I believe.

He scored more playing alongside Richie, Digne, James and Siggy, whilst managed by Ancelotti, playing at peak fitness. It's not difficult to understand why he then doesn't score that many during two seasons blighted by injury, rushed back into a team fighting relegation, and a top flight manager and best players mainly gone.

We slid down the table when he was mainly injured, mate, not because he was crap. We also sold much our creativity around that time too and brought in crap managers. This is basic stuff.

Injuries can happen to any player in the final year of the contract. I just think it's alot more of a risk for DCL with his injury history in previous seasons even though season gone by has been alot better injury wise for him but if he breaks down again with injuries next season probably the best offer he can get is the supposed one currently on the table now.
That's a fair point tbf

We've barely been in the top three quarters the last 3 seasons, let alone the top half. Unless you can suggest any 1 goal in 2 or 3 strikers who we could have signed for peanuts (given our ffp situation) and who would come to a team fighting relegation? A 1 in 4 striker is exactly where we are at as a club, and personally I am glad we had the lad on board.

I think if there was a list titled 'Everton crap first first team players' from this last 3 years, DCL wouldn't be in the top 20. Soz lid, but suggesting we're a crap team because of him is laughable.
Olly Watkins went from Exeter to Brentford around the time DCL came to us. The fee was £1.8M so virtually identical to what we paid Sheffield United. He scored 26 in around 50 games. Brentford were in the Championship when he signed. So, I’d say he would have been realistic. I’m sure there are others less topical than Watkins.

It is when this single event is being used to generalize the entire support, or the majority of it, as not having backed him for 8 years.

We've been incredibly generous and patient with him, both at the start of his career and recently. Outside of that 18 month spell with Carlo he hasn't achieved what he's capable of producing here.

If, as you suggest, that single day of booing was enough to make him decide to turn his back on the 8 years of opportunities and hefty financial rewards the club has given him then I think that says more about him as a person than it does the fans who booed him.
Remember that 18 month spell when Carlo was here, he was played in a totally different role.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.