2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right that his performance in these friendlies, in isolation, doesn’t mean all that much, but his contract / transfer situation is one of the most urgent and defining things to be resolved in this transfer window and most of the discussion is understandably about that.

I just don't see it as this massively urgent decision.

Unless the fee is 25+ it's not a slam dunk that he moves on.

He's still the best player at his position in the club, we haven't improved in that area.

If he wants to play out his contract, let him. He won't down tools during the season, that would massively impact his next contract.

The preseason is literally meaningless. He shouldn't be giving a full effort, most of the established players shouldn't.

because he went from scoring 13, 15, then 5, 2, 7

so he's worse now than he was 3/4 years ago???

and showing no signs of getting better because he can't stay fit for long periods, and when he does he's capable of going 20 TWENTY games without a goal

How is he any different than last year? He's not.

Body language can tell alot, and his is atrocious since the new year, the thing is we need him as Beto is absolutely useless and Chermiti is still raw. Unless we have a striker lined up and ready to go then DCL needs to stay.

I certainly would be looking to sell him giving his contract situation and wages he clearly wants.

His body language has been bad for 8 months? Examples?

The entire conversation is based on how he has looked this preseason and you're brining up information from 6 years ago.

no the entire conversation is people pointing out he hasnt been very good for years now NOT JUST PRE SEASON

you then said "he';s not getting better or worse"

i then politly pointed out, he is indeed getting worse and provided evidence.

no the entire conversation is people pointing out he hasnt been very good for years now NOT JUST PRE SEASON

you then said "he';s not getting better or worse"

i then politly pointed out, he is indeed getting worse and provided evidence.

Well if we're concerned with semantics, he score more goals last season than he did the prior two so he was better just by playing.

He's still the best player at his position in the club, we haven't improved in that area.

If he wants to play out his contract, let him. He won't down tools during the season, that would massively impact his next contract.

The preseason is literally meaningless. He shouldn't be giving a full effort, most of the established players shouldn't.
That’s fair enough and I don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion on it. My point was just that I don’t see as much overreaction in the discussion as you do. It’s an important unresolved issue and I can understand why frustrations are building, regardless of whether he’d been good, bad or indifferent in these meaningless friendlies.

Doubt anyone will pay 25+ so he stays and go,s for free at the end of the season.

That’s fair enough and I don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion on it. My point was just that I don’t see as much overreaction in the discussion as you do. It’s an important unresolved issue and I can understand why frustrations are building, regardless of whether he’d been good, bad or indifferent in these meaningless friendlies.

I don't need to go back too many pages to see his effort and attitude questioned. Obviously not by you, but it was an unresolved issue before last night's match and seems to be amplified after the match.

I don't care if he stays or goes at this point, but if he goes he needs to be replaced. Chermiti can't be expected to carry the load and Beto can barely put one foot in front of the other.

Sad to see the way this is going.
If he's still here then he needs to show he's at least committed.
Contracts. Aspirations et etc are secondary. If his hearts not in it then there's not point in playing him.

Even if he stays he shouldn’t be leading the line. He is woeful in front of goal and instills zero confidence that when given a clear opportunity he will score it. Sit him on the bench and give him 10 minutes at the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back