2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much wanted him to sign a new contract so we we could retain him and build around him.

But do you know now I think I'd prefer it if we withdrew the contract and dis whatever it took to move him on straight away.
Yeah it needn't be a big drama but for the time being after his offer being on the table for a good amount of time I'd deem it to be rejected, and if he wants to come back to the table he can. Wouldn't make any big gesture like dropping him from the squad or anything, in fact we'd possibly get more out of him if he's playing to earn his next big deal, wherever that may be.

If there's an ultimatum it should probably be sign or we rescind the offer. Because right now no one seems to be offering him better options and there's no guarantee they will next summer so he should be thinking long and hard about turning his nose up at our offer.

Renewing his contract shouldn't be automatic from our perspective anyway, over 4 or 5 years with wages, a signing on fee and bonuses we could be looking at a 25-30m commitment to him. What value has be provided to justify that? What it his availability likely to be going forward? Do we want to keep a player who isn't wildly enthusiastic about being here?

The argument that we have to renew his contract is to preserve his value but what is his value? He's on the market and no one is biting, he has a number of downsides including his injury history, would we be committing a huge amount of money to preserve the value of a player whose value actually isn't all that high?

For me selling is clearly the best option if we find a buyer, but I'm not sure renewing him is actually better than letting his contract expire, maybe we'd miss out on a fee but maybe we'd swerve another Keane / Holgate scenario, committing to a massive contract for an underperforming player.

I'd rather see him next season playing for his future than begrudgingly accepting a fat contract that leaves him with little motivation to perform.

I agree, time to ship him out, we need to put his value at a realistic level, talk of 35m valuations is frankly fantasy land, currently he's 15-20m tops

I very much wanted him to sign a new contract so we we could retain him and build around him.

But do you know now I think I'd prefer it if we withdrew the contract and dis whatever it took to move him on straight away.

Can't build around a player whose that injury prone mate.

Dom should be forever banished for costing us Minteh. I’m fine if a player truly wants to leave, but putting up absurd contract demands that you don’t deserve to foil a move (to an ambitious club btw) and run your contract out is awful.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin: Newcastle end transfer talks for Everton striker​

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has a year left on his Everton contract and was a player Newcastle boss Eddie Howe had been monitoring for several years; a £40m deal has proved too costly.

????

Dominic Calvert-Lewin: Newcastle end transfer talks for Everton striker​

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has a year left on his Everton contract and was a player Newcastle boss Eddie Howe had been monitoring for several years; a £40m deal has proved too costly.

????

What’s the source for this and what tier are they?

Dom should be forever banished for costing us Minteh. I’m fine if a player truly wants to leave, but putting up absurd contract demands that you don’t deserve to foil a move (to an ambitious club btw) and run your contract out is awful.

….players will do whatever is in the best interest of him and his family. If I was advising him I’d probably say, ‘give everything for Everton this season and see what offers you get next summer’.

I’d much prefer it if he moves on but I have absolutely no issues with him running down his contract.

He didn't score for like 5 months straight last season, and Dyche kept playing him.
Right, but Dyche would argue - and I'd agree with him - that DCL's usefulness to the team last season wasn't measured in goals. Dyche needed him to graft to make his system work.

But whether you agree with that or not, my point is that if Dyche wants him playing, he'll play. His contract status won't be a factor unless for whatever reason it directly results in performances Dyche deems unacceptable.

Right, but Dyche would argue - and I'd agree with him - that DCL's usefulness to the team last season wasn't measured in goals. Dyche needed him to graft to make his system work.

But whether you agree with that or not, my point is that if Dyche wants him playing, he'll play. His contract status won't be a factor unless for whatever reason it directly results in performances Dyche deems unacceptable.
It’s funny because Doms goal drought directly correlated with us not winning a game for like 3 of those months, so his “system” was also failing despite the grafting. But they are who they are. Dyche is a stubborn old style football man and Dom is an athletic non clinical striker. Not expecting any of that to change.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin isn't really doing himself any favours. If he wants a lucrative new contract or for another club to come in for him with a serious offer, then he needs to do the business during the pre-season games and show he's up to the task, has something to offer, and is back to his best (or thereabouts).

I don’t get our fans, they’ve spent the last two years saying he’s useless and getting money for nothing, now they want him to sign a new contract.
No one will pay big money and if he stays he has to have a good injury free season to entice clubs to sign him.
I’m happy for him to stay unless we can sign someone better than what we currently have in reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back