2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how long term he is thinking.

If he wants to get ahead of that change and reduce its impact then the time to start bringing him out of the team is soon.

If he doesn't trust his other options Dom will play out of necessity, but it would be wise to start planning for him not being here now.

I don't expect O'Brien to walk into Branthwaite's spot but I would like to see him given a few opportunities considering he's likely off next year and it would be good to expose his replacement early.

He's 27 so his next contact is going to be his last big payday.

If a club like Newcastle don't want to pay his alleged wages, I doubt we or anyone else will.

If he runs his contract down and has another luke warm season or gets reoccurring injuries...there won't be many top teams lining up for him or paying what he wants after it.

Think it's clear hes wanting to move on. If Newcastle off loan Wilson, his agent will be on the blower again.

Personally think it's unsettling the club moving on for a player I do highly rate...he still doesn't solve our shot shy squad.

If there's an ultimatum it should probably be sign or we rescind the offer. Because right now no one seems to be offering him better options and there's no guarantee they will next summer so he should be thinking long and hard about turning his nose up at our offer.

Renewing his contract shouldn't be automatic from our perspective anyway, over 4 or 5 years with wages, a signing on fee and bonuses we could be looking at a 25-30m commitment to him. What value has be provided to justify that? What it his availability likely to be going forward? Do we want to keep a player who isn't wildly enthusiastic about being here?

The argument that we have to renew his contract is to preserve his value but what is his value? He's on the market and no one is biting, he has a number of downsides including his injury history, would we be committing a huge amount of money to preserve the value of a player whose value actually isn't all that high?

For me selling is clearly the best option if we find a buyer, but I'm not sure renewing him is actually better than letting his contract expire, maybe we'd miss out on a fee but maybe we'd swerve another Keane / Holgate scenario, committing to a massive contract for an underperforming player.

I'd rather see him next season playing for his future than begrudgingly accepting a fat contract that leaves him with little motivation to perform.
I hope he's not trying to run his contract down. He also has another downside. He can't hit a barn door from a yard.

We have 10 contracts expiring in July 2025, 12 if you include the 2 Loans, yet this appears to be the only thread in which people are very angry at the player for entering his last year, which is odd, considering most of you cant stand him.

Crazy really.
He's the only one that will generate a high fee. He's one of the highest earners in the club the last 3 seasons and who hasn't come near double figures goal scoring wise in 3 seasons.

He has regularly missed huge chunks of previous seasons with injuries and he seems to be wanting a better contract. He is apparently wanting a big payday away from the club....

So I think it's only reasonable that he comes under extra scrutiny.

I cant get over his agent not having a move lined up for him before he started playing this game.

They wont pay him the wages would they?

Also, why would he choose to go from Everton 9 to the 9 at either of them?

Just because you sell a player for £15mil it doesnt mean their replacement would be £15mil.
No, not in normal terms. But we're talking about a club that have already finished there summer shopping. So another Lidl Maups would be on the cards..

Whatever is going on, it is a bad look. He obviously wants out but he is apparently willing to stay if we offer him silly money and he doesn’t even look the slight bit arsed earning that money. I’ll wait until the regular season starts, but I do not seeing this ending pretty. Surely he knows by now that nobody is offering him the contract he wants and chances are nobody will when he leaves. So will he get in the way of a move if someone bids about 20 mil? It will get ugly and he should probably get out before it reaches that point.

No thanks rather we recouped some of the wages we’ve paid him while out injured, doesn’t want to sign a new deal thats fair enough obviously doesn’t want to be here then get rid of him, plus he’s crap anyway hence why there’s little interest in him. And £15m balances the books better also Dom isn’t keeping us up.
Opinions m8

And using the so called 15m on helping balancing the books is a great way forward, A striker down, but atleast our books aren't looking so bad.
( Well, not until the possibility of relegation, that is !!

We have 10 contracts expiring in July 2025, 12 if you include the 2 Loans, yet this appears to be the only thread in which people are very angry at the player for entering his last year, which is odd, considering most of you cant stand him.

Crazy really.

The others are the OAPs of Coleman, Young, Doucouré and Gana, The Glue Factory candidates of Maupay, Holgate, and Keane, and two back up keepers nobody is arsed about. None of them will get a fee this summer.

He's the only one we can sell for money this year and would want to keep if he decides to sign a new contract?

Not really that crazy is it.

Crazy really.
Personally I feel its a bit of jilted lover syndrome, people thought everything was fine and happy, and then suddenly hes actively seeking a way put of the relationship. It hurts. Its also a coping mechanism to put all the blame on him.

Crazy really.
Dom has value to the club. We could get 15m minimum for him.

Doucoure probably has some transfer value as well.

I dont think the others have transfer value. That's not to say we don't try to sell them, but we're not going to miss out on big fees if we keep then.

It makes sense that we should prioritise selling the players with the most value.

Opinions m8

And using the so called 15m on helping balancing the books is a great way forward, A striker down, but atleast our books aren't looking so bad.
( Well, not until the possibility of relegation, that is !!
Don’t think Dom makes that much of a difference tbh if we can have 2-3 other players adding a couple of goals that covers Dom’s output for the season he certainly won’t be the difference between us staying up or going down because he doesn’t have that kind of influence on games.

We are literally blunt with this man as our focal point.

Ndiaye upfront for me this season with Doucs and Linstrom in behind.
Not really sure he has the physique to play up top taking the ball at chest/head height all game, we would have to be playing it on the deck and Dyche won't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back