2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I’ll agree with the sentiment of ‘sell if we can’ but I don’t agree that he has little to offer.

I have a benchmark of what opposing CBs think and I doubt any in the league look forward to facing DCL. He’s competitive, excellent back to goal ability, runs the channels and protects the ball and is prodigious in the air.

When presented with a chance, he’s a striker I ‘hope will score’ rather than ‘expecting him to score’, that won’t change. Whilst that’s a key component of a strikers game, it’s not everything. My reasoning to sell is as much to do with his injury fragility as it is with his contract situation, but DCL is a top flight forward and the best we have.
Does he move across the line well enough for you or link up with others enough?

Not for me.

And that's besides the lack of goals.

He is EXTREMELY limited.

Does he move across the line well enough for you or link up with others enough?

Not for me.

And that's besides the lack of goals.

He is EXTREMELY limited.

….he’s always led the line well, which for me has includes ‘moving across’ to be an out ball for his full backs. It’s been widely reported that Ancelotti wanted him to stay central and he’s not as ‘busy’ across the pitch as he used to be. It’s probably a mix of tactical as well as helping protect his thigh muscles.

His touch is very good and link up play is decent. I don’t think it helps that Doucoure is usually his nearest teamate, he’s poor in possession but he can can at least get alongside and beyond DCL (DCL set him up brilliantly with the winner at home to Sheff Utd at the end of last season).

I don’t think he’s in the least bit ‘limited’. He’ll never be prolific & I’m always waiting for the next thigh injury but he’s a very decent striker. Saying that, given his situation we should move him on if the opportunity arises but if he’s here for the season I imagine he’ll be first choice.

….he’s always led the line well, which for me has includes ‘moving across’ to be an out ball for his full backs. It’s been widely reported that Ancelotti wanted him to stay central and he’s not as ‘busy’ across the pitch as he used to be. It’s probably a mix of tactical as well as helping protect his thigh muscles.

His touch is very good and link up play is decent. I don’t think it helps that Doucoure is usually his nearest teamate, he’s poor in possession but he can can at least get alongside and beyond DCL (DCL set him up brilliantly with the winner at home to Sheff Utd at the end of last season).

I don’t think he’s in the least bit ‘limited’. He’ll never be prolific & I’m always waiting for the next thigh injury but he’s a very decent striker. Saying that, given his situation we should move him on if the opportunity arises but if he’s here for the season I imagine he’ll be first choice.

I'm with you, I think his movement and touch are generally very good, especially "for a big man". The question is around goals, but also how reliably fit he can stay. Is Thelwell going to want to commit say over £100k p/w on such a player.

Wonder would the Saudis look at Dom. Win/Win.

Better not get caught gambling there!
IMG_9075.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back