Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

GK position sorted (Pickford, Virginia, Begovic).

RB position desperately needs fixing: Coleman & Young need to retire, whilst Patterson is not good enough.

LB we need someone better than Mykolenko, then move him to backup.

CB position is fairly well stocked: Tarkowski & Branthwaite first choice, with O’Brien backup and Keane emergency backup.

DM position has improved a lot. Gueye will be finishing up soon, but Iroegbunam is a quality addition. Garner also there, as well as Mangala.

AM Ndiaye will become new first choice with Doucoure as backup.

RW Harrison & Lindstrøm battling for first choice; both are loan players so will need revisiting in the summer.

LW we need someone better than McNeil and clearly tried to bring in a pacey winger. Look to address this in January / Summer.

ST looks well stocked with Calvert-Lewin first choice (probably until January when we try and get a fee for him, or he signs a new contract). Then have Broja, Beto & Chermiti battling it out with him for a spot. Decent.

January:
• Buy a RB.
• Buy a LB.
• Buy a LW.

Summer:
• Buy a RW.

Slowly but surely getting towards a decent squad.

GK position sorted (Pickford, Virginia, Begovic).

RB position desperately needs fixing: Coleman & Young need to retire, whilst Patterson is not good enough.

LB we need someone better than Mykolenko, then move him to backup.

CB position is fairly well stocked: Tarkowski & Branthwaite first choice, with O’Brien backup and Keane emergency backup.

DM position has improved a lot. Gueye will be finishing up soon, but Iroegbunam is a quality addition. Garner also there, as well as Mangala.

AM Ndiaye will become new first choice with Doucoure as backup.

RW Harrison & Lindstrøm battling for first choice; both are loan players so will need revisiting in the summer.

LW we need someone better than McNeil and clearly tried to bring in a pacey winger. Look to address this in January / Summer.

ST looks well stocked with Calvert-Lewin first choice (probably until January when we try and get a fee for him, or he signs a new contract). Then have Broja, Beto & Chermiti battling it out with him for a spot. Decent.

January:
• Buy a RB.
• Buy a LB.
• Buy a LW.

Summer:
• Buy a RW.

Slowly but surely getting towards a decent squad.
January we'd be lucky to get one in. The only chance of any movement is if DCL goes, in which case I could see us picking up an LB and saving the money for the summer for another round of young RW saga

Lots of areas of the squad that weren’t dealt with really which is worrying me for next year.

CB - Holgate gone, Keane contract up and Branthwaite will likely be gone next summer.
RB - needed one now, but will need a first choice and Dixon can be back up.
LB - need a back up for Myko.
CM - Gana and Mangala will be going, so will need another 2.
AM - Doucoure leaving so need another.
Wingers - 2 loans ending, so realistically need 3.
CF - will need 1 if not 2 with DCL and Broja loan ending.

That’s 12 if not 13 players we need to bring in on permanent deals. It’s a lot to do. I really hope Thelwell has a plan for it that isn’t bunging Young a new deal. (I imagine it’s sell Branthwaite and use the money to buy a full new squad)

Desperately needed the RB and a pacy winger in this window though.

Lots of areas of the squad that weren’t dealt with really which is worrying me for next year.

CB - Holgate gone, Keane contract up and Branthwaite will likely be gone next summer.

That’s 12 if not 13 players we need to bring in on permanent deals. It’s a lot to do. I really hope Thelwell has a plan for it that isn’t bunging Young a new deal. (I imagine it’s sell Branthwaite and use the money to buy a full new squad)

Hopefully Thelwell and dyche will be long go by next summer and some how we’re still in the prem

3 years we have been after a winger and nothing both need replacing asap

There are areas we still need to address, but given our lack of resources it probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise that we didn't get all of that done in this window.

Full back on both sides remains a concern, both in terms of quality and, on the left hand side, numbers.

The lack of pace in wide areas also remains a concern and needs to be addressed.

We are better off at centre back than we were last season. We have another striker (although I admit I'm a bigger fan of his than most, so not everyone is going to see this as a positive). We've swapped Onana and Gomes for Iroegbunum and Mangala - this one is a debatable one, but I'd bet we'll get more out of the new lads over the course of the season than we did from Onana/Gomes. We've gone from Danjuma to Lindstrom and whilst you can debate the merits of each player, Danjuma may as well have not been here last year so Lindstrom succeeding or not feels like a free hit. The big upgrade would be N'Diaye.

We've finished the window stronger than we started it. We've brought in long term targets like O'Brien, N'Diaye and Broja who we know we've been tracking for a good while. Given we finished 12th (taking points deductions out of the equation) last season with a worse squad than this, I don't think it's unreasonable to be looking for a similar sort of return this season.

The biggest negative for me is that we haven't managed to shift DCL and how that plays out between now and January might be a real issue.

We will get in 3 or 4 loans next season again.

January we'd be lucky to get one in. The only chance of any movement is if DCL goes, in which case I could see us picking up an LB and saving the money for the summer for another round of young RW saga

True mate, but we did just make approximately £30m in this window.

Add that to the fee for DCL (if applicable) then we could be looking at a couple of those positions in January.

We were very active this window, so it makes me positive that we’ll be able to do so again in Jan.

There are areas we still need to address, but given our lack of resources it probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise that we didn't get all of that done in this window.

Full back on both sides remains a concern, both in terms of quality and, on the left hand side, numbers.

The lack of pace in wide areas also remains a concern and needs to be addressed.

We are better off at centre back than we were last season. We have another striker (although I admit I'm a bigger fan of his than most, so not everyone is going to see this as a positive). We've swapped Onana and Gomes for Iroegbunum and Mangala - this one is a debatable one, but I'd bet we'll get more out of the new lads over the course of the season than we did from Onana/Gomes. We've gone from Danjuma to Lindstrom and whilst you can debate the merits of each player, Danjuma may as well have not been here last year so Lindstrom succeeding or not feels like a free hit. The big upgrade would be N'Diaye.

We've finished the window stronger than we started it. We've brought in long term targets like O'Brien, N'Diaye and Broja who we know we've been tracking for a good while. Given we finished 12th (taking points deductions out of the equation) last season with a worse squad than this, I don't think it's unreasonable to be looking for a similar sort of return this season.

The biggest negative for me is that we haven't managed to shift DCL and how that plays out between now and January might be a real issue.

Great post.

I’m slightly more positive RE: the DCL situation now that Broja is in though.

Scenario 1: DCL signs a new contract and we send Broja back after the loan.

Scenario 2: DCL doesn’t sign, and we sell for a reduced fee in January;
(i) if Broja performs, we activate the buy option;
(ii) if Broja doesn’t perform, we use the DCL money elsewhere.

Worst scenario would be going through January with DCL still on the books with an unsigned contract. Hopeful that we’ll be able to avoid that.

Great post.

Worst scenario would be going through January with DCL still on the books with an unsigned contract. Hopeful that we’ll be able to avoid that.

Best scenario: DCL signs new deal, Broja is good and we sign him, we sell Beto.

True mate, but we did just make approximately £30m in this window.

Add that to the fee for DCL (if applicable) then we could be looking at a couple of those positions in January.

We were very active this window, so it makes me positive that we’ll be able to do so again in Jan.
Hopefully dont expect much in jan but if we could get a winger in then maybe would have check the cf problem if dcl goes or injuries

Great post.

DCL was/is one of our biggest PSR assets and him leaving on a free would be a huge, huge blow. Things could get toxic with him quite quickly if he has another dry spell this season.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back