Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lampard talked about a number six with defensive qualities. That doesn’t sound like Gilmour.

95% of the game is played without the ball - (probably more in our team..). Gilmour is slow, weak and easy to run past.

I have not seen enough of this lad to make a decision about him but after reading so many different views about him on this forum I would probably leave him alone and look further afield.

He’s played in the Chelsea team when he was 19
So did Scott Sinclair. I was at the Liverpool game where he ran the show he was unknown in later games once he was pressed he made silly mistakes
I would love to see him progress but I am far from sure he ever will but to compare him to Scholes ( a player I despised ) is folly

So did Scott Sinclair. I was at the Liverpool game where he ran the show he was unknown in later games once he was pressed he made silly mistakes
I would love to see him progress but I am far from sure he ever will but to compare him to Scholes ( a player I despised ) is folly
I compared him in style. Which I think is pretty accurate. Didn’t once say he was as good.

Lampard talked about a number six with defensive qualities. That doesn’t sound like Gilmour.

95% of the game is played without the ball - (probably more in our team..). Gilmour is slow, weak and easy to run past.
No you don’t want Gilmour sitting in front of your back line too often. You want him roaming between defence and midfield at times, but ideally between midfield and attack. But he will put in a challenge, he doesn’t shirk a tackle. But he’s physically not built for tackling too much.

No you don’t want Gilmour sitting in front of your back line too often. You want him roaming between defence and midfield at times, but ideally between midfield and attack. But he will put in a challenge, he doesn’t shirk a tackle. But he’s physically not built for tackling too much.

The lad is a good player, just a bad fit for this current Everton side IMO.

DCL may well have played as the most advanced of your forwards but he needed Richarlinson to link with him . The point is if he is isolated he doesn’t have the same skill set as Wood in terms of dealing from the wild clearances from the Burnley defence for me DCLs arieal ability is much more of an asset in or around the box.

If you can somehow unlock Alis potential then maybe but I really think you underestimate just how much Richarlinsons impact was

I'm not being horrible mate, but barring a brief period at the start under Carlo DCL/Richarlison didnt really link well.

He linked better with James and Digne. They are bigger losses to him than Richarlison.

Im confused now. You appear to be saying that nobody builds their entire team around a tidy ball player and then saying I couldn’t be more wrong for saying the same thing.

Maybe there’s a difference in the way we’re interpreting ‘build your team around’. To me, it seemed like the poster was saying that the team would need to be set up specifically to accommodate gilmour in order for him to be successful. I’m saying that won’t happen for someone who isn’t a match winner. It’s possible he just meant that he needs to be in a team which plays a certain way in order to get the best out of him, but to me that isn’t ‘building your entire team around him’ it’s just him being suited to a particular style of play.
I think there probably are wires crossed alright.

I am saying that no successful team is built around any one player... with the possible exception of Messi, but then he had Iniesta, Xavi and Neymar with him when he was in his prime.

In my opinion the player fits into the team, rather than the other way around.

We need central midfielders that can defend, pass and control their area and at the moment we don't have one.
But, you build from the back and Tarkowski even in 45 minutes seemed to bring a solidity that we just have not had in some years.

We now need to address midfield and Gilmour could certainly play a role but I don't think he is the type of player we need most.

Finally, we do need to replace Richarlison because if we don't then I think we will be relying too heavily on Gordon.
Gray is inconsistent, Townsend injured and Iwobi is not a winger as we have seen.

Gilmour just sounds like an opportunistic purchase

Also. Is he ready that slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.