Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends what our overall intentions are this window. If this is the only striking option we are looking at bringing in I would say we need to set the bar higher. If we are looking at bringing this player in as back up to DCL, to take some of the workload off him and be able to rest him or cover for injuries, then I'm OK with it. He looks to be a definite upgrade on Rondon and somebody who can be effective off the bench. He's a decent price, good age and won't cost a fortune in wages. But the caveat to this is that we bring in a second striker of superior quality to play alongside him or DCL. A Terrier for instance or somebody of that quality. We still need to replace Richy in the squad/team. If selling Gordon allows us to do this, then whilst I'm not happy about it I think it's worth considering as it would improve our squad right at this minute.
I don't think that's a gamble we can afford to make. If he continues his 2022 injury record, whoever comes in is our main striker until proven otherwise

I could see Everton sell Gordon and then dither on transfers until deadline day and make a bunch of panic buys. Would fit with the pattern of ineptitude they established over the years
I thought we'd agreed that it looks like Frank and Kevin had something resembling a plan in this window and were addressing our areas of need.

It's not like they don't know we need forwards

I don't think that's a gamble we can afford to make. If he continues his 2022 injury record, whoever comes in is our main striker until proven otherwise
And what do you do if DCL does get fit. We'd be left with 2 centre forwards who can only play centre forward. So one of them will be on the bench. Then we're left with players alongside who don't score enough goals. Even if DCL hardly plays, we still haven't replaced the goals that Richy bought.

For me, replacing Richy has to be our priority now. A back up to DCL next priority.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in here, but Chelsea are in talks with Broja for a new deal
I feel it’s a given we sell Gordon to chelsea and get Broja in for a year long loan - which I don’t think helps us too much in the long term.

I think the sole aim this season will be survival and move out of ffp issues so we are in a decent place when we move into new stadium.

Gordon is not worth £50 million based on his current level, they would be paying a 'potential' premium. The thing is no one knows if he will reach that potential, lots of shining stars at 21 do not fulfil early promise. Looking at players we have seen at Everton, did Rodwell or Barkley ever go on to be the players they were predicted to be at Gordons age. Royston Drenthe was signed by Real Madrid when he was 20!! If we keep Gordon for the rest of his career he may never reach that 'potential' value of £50 million.
Cucurella is not worth £55m rising to £62m
Fofana is not worth > £60m but they have bid that
Forwards command a premium
English players command a premium
Chelsea under Boehly over-pay

If they do bid (and right now EFC are 100% adamant they have not despite the reports) we have to play hardball and get every £ possible because it is our single best opportunity to totally reset our Finances and reshape our squad.

We'd struggle to stay up with our current front three.

We can't rely on Calvert-Lewin to stay fit.

If we can bring in another couple of strikers then great.

If we can't, and selling Gordon allows us to bring in those players we need, IMO, to ensure the club is competitive enough to avoid another relegation scrap, then it's the game.
We were after 2 strikers before the mention of Gordon going anyway?. 2 loan spots still available as well?
Let's keep our best academy product in a long time and get behind him as fans.

If we can't, and selling Gordon allows us to bring in those players we need, IMO, to ensure the club is competitive enough to avoid another relegation scrap, then it's the game.
Exactly where I am with it. Its all very well thinking about what we "should" be doing ("we're Everton we shouldn't be selling our best players" etc etc) but we WILL go down with the current front line.

Just won't work like that though. We'll end up splashing £20m on Che Adams and then signing Gibbs-White for like £40m.

£50m could get you at least two very good attackers to take Gordon's position but I have no faith whatsoever that we'll buy well.

Seeing as our squad at the moment = almost guaranteed relegation, and we've thus far been unsuccessful in attempts to sign striker(s), this move has to happen if there's a chance of it so that we can sort out of squad as soon as possible with the windfall. Seems like the money isn't currently there to go out and get an actual quality striker, but this £50m would pay for a top striker from abroad plus his wages for 5 years, and leave money left over to plug the gap left by Gordon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.