Howard
Coleman Jags Distin Baines
Barry McCarthy
Barkley
Mirallas Pienaar/Deulofeu
Kone

think we can beat these.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say nice one, praise indeed from an opposition fan especially when I've had a few customary cheap shots at you. Just out of interest, how did I do with your team assessment? I'm no avid other team watcher so I blag it a bit.

Anyway thank you. And cheers for all the nice comments as always, don't want to turn it into my preview thread as its about the match whether you read it or not, but tar. I've had a difficult week and this has cheered me up.
You managed to communicate an accurate account of how we're doing and the sort of challenge we pose with some humour and an entertaining dialogue. I believe if you can't handle some banter you shouldn't visit opposition forums!

Pal, you should log in every week to read Chico's previews. They are a treat, to be sure.

Great to read something thoughtful and interesting from an opposition fan - I'm intrigued about your thinking with regard to Mata getting selected for this match, and the idea that Lampard shouldn't play. Stick around for the matchday thread, it would be great to hear your thoughts during the game itself.

PS your written English is very good - how long was your course at the University of Moscow? :P

Mata was injured during preseason and has apparently not been up to full fitness over the last three games. He featured against Villa but he was clearly not himself. With Oscar having a twisted ankle and Mata having the international break to work on his fitness since he wasn't called up for Spain, I'd be surprised if he wasn't selected for this one.

As far as Lampard goes, he and Ramires do not make a great central midfield paring. He's 35 now and most of us think he can't be starting on a weekly basis like he is. He's always liable to come up with a goal from nowhere, but his overall contribution to our midfield has declined significantly. He'll have one great game then a row of poor ones (though he could score in any of them).

I agree with some of the posts here that if Everton scores first it'll become a bit of a thriller because we'll then be forced out of our comfort zone to go after you. If you let us overwhelm you in the opening 20 minutes like Hull and Villa did though, it'll be tough to claw it back because we're looking so well organised again. Man City are away to Stoke where they always drop points, and the Manchester derby is the week after so these points are significant to us before the CL and cup games start kicking in.

You managed to communicate an accurate account of how we're doing and the sort of challenge we pose with some humour and an entertaining dialogue. I believe if you can't handle some banter you shouldn't visit opposition forums!

Mata was injured during preseason and has apparently not been up to full fitness over the last three games. He featured against Villa but he was clearly not himself. With Oscar having a twisted ankle and Mata having the international break to work on his fitness since he wasn't called up for Spain, I'd be surprised if he wasn't selected for this one.

As far as Lampard goes, he and Ramires do not make a great central midfield paring. He's 35 now and most of us think he can't be starting on a weekly basis like he is. He's always liable to come up with a goal from nowhere, but his overall contribution to our midfield has declined significantly. He'll have one great game then a row of poor ones (though he could score in any of them).

I agree with some of the posts here that if Everton scores first it'll become a bit of a thriller because we'll then be forced out of our comfort zone to go after you. If you let us overwhelm you in the opening 20 minutes like Hull and Villa did though, it'll be tough to claw it back because we're looking so well organised again. Man City are away to Stoke where they always drop points, and the Manchester derby is the week after so these points are significant to us before the CL and cup games start kicking in.
welcome mate , after tomorrow best of luck for the rest of the season , ps how long you been watching chelsea ,

I had a really bad experience with some Chelsea fans after the cup final. "I fought you was sh*t today mate" said one of these insensitive nobs to me - " [Poor language removed] off" replied I. I am sure not all Chelsea fans are like this but it left a bad taste. Hoards of them didn't stay for the cup presentation either. I cannot stand Mourinho but I have great respect for Lampard. Got no beef with articulate oppo fans giving us some pre match thoughts though. I fear Chelsea might have too many weapons but It is not beyond us to spring a surprise.

welcome mate , after tomorrow best of luck for the rest of the season , ps how long you been watching chelsea ,

I was more into rugby as a kid but have family from Stoke (I'm from Greenwich). They're all United fans and I used to watch the games with them when I went up and visited. Watched Chelsea (Zola) demolish them 5-0 in '99 ending a ridiculous unbeaten run and fell in love, they were all livid. Only black mark on a treble winning season. Been a fan ever since.

Best of luck to you guys too. I'll be watching Everton as much as possible because of Lukaku.

I had a really bad experience with some Chelsea fans after the cup final. "I fought you was sh*t today mate" said one of these insensitive nobs to me - " [Poor language removed] off" replied I. I am sure not all Chelsea fans are like this but it left a bad taste. Hoards of them didn't stay for the cup presentation either. I cannot stand Mourinho but I have great respect for Lampard. Got no beef with articulate oppo fans giving us some pre match thoughts though. I fear Chelsea might have too many weapons but It is not beyond us to spring a surprise.

To be fair after the 12th second we were pretty sh*t.

...because they often seem to beat us 2-1 (with Lampard on the score sheet). But I am hoping they don't this Saturday!

What about all the times when they haven't beaten us 2-1? Or beaten us at all, for that matter.

I make it 7 of the last 10 and that doesn't include the cup tie when we beat them on pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back