Everton Youth Teams Thread

Southport score and make it 1-1 on 74mins

A free-kick taken by a trialist, Carver lets it run between his legs and Mo ali is waiting to fire a shot in off the crossbar

1597494796953.png

Manager Liam Watson has completed his third signing of the summer with the addition of defender Mo Ali.

Mo joins Southport after two seasons in the Vanarama National League North with Curzon Ashton, establishing himself as an accomplished performer at this level.

Born in Zeist, the Netherlands, the 25-year-old has been capped seven times by Somalia, being named man of the match in the nation’s first-ever World Cup qualifying win against Zimbabwe in September.

Mo moved to the UK in 2013, having learned his trade at Alphense Boys, making his first-team debut in the third level of Dutch football at 18, whilst also representing ADO Den Haag

Last edited:
Perhaps were seeing if small can slot into u23s so Nkounkou can come straight into the first team squad. Then we dont need to replace baines
Thats an interesting thought, as I said it’s early days yet , Small is quite young and left back spot would likely go to Joe Anderson if Nkounkou is not around. I would like to think that Lewis Gibson would be ahead of Nkounkou for LB cover , but then in February I thought as a CB he was also ahead of Branthwaite. I know nothing :D

Everton Under-23s boss David Unsworth revealed he saw many encouraging signs in his team’s performance in their opening pre-season friendly against Southport FC at USM Finch Farm on Saturday.

The young Blues were the more progressive side for much of the clash but a last-minute strike saw the National League North outfit emerge 2-1 victors on a sweltering afternoon at Everton’s training facility.

The Toffees struck first through Ellis Simms’ precision finish 31 minutes in and had several opportunities to go further ahead.

Unsworth’s team played with speed and purpose throughout the first hour, and Rhys Hughes twice forced splendid stops from Dan Hanford in the away side’s goal. The Southport keeper also made a smart save from the dangerous Simms.

Both sides made a host of changes during the second half and Southport gradually began to assert pressure.

The away team levelled when Mo Ali applied the finishing touch following a slick free-kick move and snatched victory when Marcus Carver slotted home in stoppage time.

“For the first hour the performance was outstanding,” Unsworth told evertonfc.com.

“It was a great workout and I saw some really good things, there was some great play.

“It was a boiling hot day, and a great first pre-season game for us which was very competitive.

“There are lots of good things to work with, which [assistant manager] John Ebbrell, [coach] Franny Jeffers and I are delighted about.

“We had our strongest team out for that first hour - before we made lots of substitutions - and we played some outstanding football. Really good stuff.

“My only criticism is, we could have scored more goals to finish the game off.

“But there are lots of positives to take

Everton Under-23s will step up their preparations for the 2020/21 season further next Saturday, when League Two side Morecambe take on the Toffees at USM Finch Farm. [Its actually down to be wigan and the Morecambe is down for the 29th]

Unsworth explained the wealth of benefits his young players gain from taking on experienced opposition.

“Facing those teams show the level of competitiveness there is at senior level,” he added.

“It also shows the importance of aspects like set-pieces, because the opponents are a lot stronger and more physical.

“Southport scored from a set-piece today, so that’s something hopefully the players will learn from.

“It so important to be able to compete physically in professional football.

“It was a great learning game for us against Southport and we’ll look forward to another one next week.”

At least it looks like Unsworth isn't being saddled with Connolly, Pennington, Broadhead and Bowler who it appears have no future with the club. An odd one in the team might have been ok but if all r of them had played it would have been more blockage. I'm guessing Adeniran and Gibson are being lined up for loans away and given the first team shortages Branthwaite and Nkounkou will maybe be training with them.

At least it looks like Unsworth isn't being saddled with Connolly, Pennington, Broadhead and Bowler who it appears have no future with the club. An odd one in the team might have been ok but if all r of them had played it would have been more blockage. I'm guessing Adeniran and Gibson are being lined up for loans away and given the first team shortages Branthwaite and Nkounkou will maybe be training with them.

....he might have to play some of those names in the next games, even if it’s to put them in the shop window.

....it’s always difficult when age-restricted youngsters take on open age opposition but it sounds like the young Toffees played well in the first half against Southport.

Two tough games coming up against league opposition will help the club determine if they have a special prospect or two.

What's very positive, is to see such a young team being put out. I've kept relatively quiet about the ever increasing age group being utilised at under 23's as in truth I don't think it was the biggest problem in the club, but it was a problem to me. The continual build up of players who would never play for the first team, and were ultimately hampering the opportuities for other young players.

I said yesterday, 2 first year scholars (Kouyate and Small) and a load of other under 18's (Onyango, Dobbin, Cannon, McCaillister & Higgins) all in the match day squad. It looks like the left back and Brainthwaite are staying with the first team (which is only right) Markelo has gone out on loan and the likes of Baningime, Adeniran etc who might have just been parachuted straight in previously are not being, which to me is a positive. It will mean we win less games, but we can really develop players.

I saw a comment with Dobbin, who said he trained with the reserves last year, had a bit of a go, found it difficult at the start of last season, but probably benefitted enormously from it (and has kept training with them). It will serve him well this season, that experience.

The 1st year group is really strong, and can fill the bulk of the 18's squad. As for the two ladsin the squad yesterday, I've written on Small about 6 months ago. They really liked him then and seem to now. Hes about 6 ft, a great athlete, very skillful. Kouyate is also very well thought of, again very quick, powerful and skillful. It's good to see is prgressing lads through more aggressively now.

....he might have to play some of those names in the next games, even if it’s to put them in the shop window.

Yeah I suspect he will, but at least for now he hasn't been forced to. I also think Besic, Bolasie and Sandro could also be named at some point if they don't secure moves away. Its a shame as it would be nice for the young lads to get a bit of an understanding going.

What are the first team shortages?
Squad is too big imo

Not far off our expected “ best team “ with Branthwaite and Nkounkou to be added , as it seems Beni is going on loan , maybe Adeniran too. It’s interesting that Small is the only out and out defender, though Higgins can play right back. It’s quite a leap for Small , he’s obviously caught someone’s eye in training , but early days yet to make too many assumptions.
Trying to work out the formation. What position does Hughes play? Is he a wide man

Trying to work out the formation. What position does Hughes play? Is he a wide man
As Carlo was watching it’s likely we played 442 , Simms and Dobbin up front and our midfield of Hunt right, Onyango Hughes the middle two, Iversen left . Hughes has played defensive mid mainly , he’s strong enough , good range of passing perhaps not as mobile as Onyango. In one of those cups last season Onyango/ Hughes formed the 2 in a 4 2 3 1 formation with Hughes captain and playing deeper of the two.
I don’t see any of our midfielders as being wide men, maybe we need one .

As Carlo was watching it’s likely we played 442 , Simms and Dobbin up front and our midfield of Hunt right, Onyango Hughes the middle two, Iversen left . Hughes has played defensive mid mainly , he’s strong enough , good range of passing perhaps not as mobile as Onyango. In one of those cups last season Onyango/ Hughes formed the 2 in a 4 2 3 1 formation with Hughes captain and playing deeper of the two.
I don’t see any of our midfielders as being wide men, maybe we need one .
That's what I was thinking mate. Looks like a team full of central midfielders to me, same as last season.

Ironic isn't it that we're crying out for central midfielders in the first team, and yet our younger age groups are full of them.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back