Everton Youth Teams Thread

Chelsea have a whole squad of players about to get stuck in the pipeline because they're addicted to signing players. City as well have the likes of Ndala leaving. In theory we could hoover them up but in reality we are skint and have Sean Dyche as manager
I understand the part about being skint.
I am not sure what Sean Dyche has to do with anything.
He is the manager who has played Branthwaite in nearly every game this season and has helped in increasing his value to a level none of us could have imagined twelve months ago.
Dyche has only been at the club for about sixteen months and is not responsible for academy recruitment.

…I’d have been more confident on Mills had he not been sent on loan last season. Unlike Dobbin, it suggested to me that Dyche was not impressed in pre-season, even though it was an area of weakness in the squad.

I like Mills a lot but I have my doubts about his future with us, genuinely hope I’m wrong as far as he’s concerned.
I hope you are wrong @Eggs but you never know.
I thought Patterson would kick on last season but that never happened.

My hope is that Dyche understood that he could not risk young players learning their trade in a team that was going to struggle for points.

Up to his injury Mills was doing well with Oxford and playing nearly every week. My hope is that now with this experience he is ready to step us.

I think Campbell was also playing every week with Fleetwood up to his injury .

I hope you are wrong @Eggs but you never know.
I thought Patterson would kick on last season but that never happened.

My hope is that Dyche understood that he could not risk young players learning their trade in a team that was going to struggle for points.

Up to his injury Mills was doing well with Oxford and playing nearly every week. My hope is that now with this experience he is ready to step us.

I think Campbell was also playing every week with Fleetwood up to his injury .
Mate every pre-season Eggs dangles the “ loans are bad it means the manager doesn’t like him” bait , there are usually 5 or 6 takers. It becomes a bit like the Romans scene from Life of Brian - “ Oh yeah , but apart from Branthwaite, Gordon , Dobbin , Cannon, Simms etc , what did Loans ever do for us?” 🙂

Mate every pre-season Eggs dangles the “ loans are bad it means the manager doesn’t like him” bait , there are usually 5 or 6 takers. It becomes a bit like the Romans scene from Life of Brian - “ Oh yeah , but apart from Branthwaite, Gordon , Dobbin , Cannon, Simms etc , what did Loans ever do for us?” 🙂

….Branthwaite isn’t an Academy player, Cannon and Simms worked out so well they don’t even play for us ;) . I think Gordon went on loan after he’d played for the first team. Can’t be many Academy loanees who’ve played 50 games for us.

I’m not against loans per se, didn’t do Branthwaite and Coleman any harm but I just think if we have an outstanding youngster with the lack of quality in this squad, the manager will want to use them. If an Academy youngster is sent on loan, I don’t see it as a good sign as far as their future at Everton is concerned, that’s my point.

….Branthwaite isn’t an Academy player. I’m not sure loans worked out well for us as far as Dobbin, Cannon and Simms are concerned and I think Gordon went on loan after he’d played for the first team. Cannon and Simms don’t even play for us. Can’t be many Academy loanees who’ve played 50 games for us.

I’m not against loans per se, didn’t do Branthwaite and Coleman any harm but I just think if we have an outstanding youngster with the lack of quality in this squad, the manager will want to use them. If an Academy youngster is sent on loan, I don’t see it as a good sign as far as their future at Everton is concerned.
And this concern becomes amplified when we have a thin roster. We’ve been a bit bloated for several years but should be thinning out as we can’t afford to replace out of contract players.

In other words, the concern is even stronger when academy players aren’t good enough to take empty bench spots.

This club is weird mate

In some ways I think we get the club we deserve as a fan base sometimes

I feel like there is not another fan base in top flight football who supports the younger players less than we do sometimes

Always so quick to write players off

Always so quick to demand a cull

Can we really complain if the club adopts the same attitude?

You can say that our neighbours are always too quick to overhype every new young player that gets 5 minutes of first team football, but surely optimism has to be better than the extreme pessimism we display so often?

Hard to blame any manager for it when we’re in successive relegation battles.

Sadly, the PL is a more difficult place to give academy youth a shot than it used to be. They have to be exceptional talents (Stones, Barkley), be given a long time to break in (DCL, Davies) or go to a championship side and prove themselves there (Duffy).

And this concern becomes amplified when we have a thin roster. We’ve been a bit bloated for several years but should be thinning out as we can’t afford to replace out of contract players.

In other words, the concern is even stronger when academy players aren’t good enough to take empty bench spots.

Mate the step up from academy football to the PL is absolutely enormous and only the very, very best can do it in one go.

No idea why people don't seem to understand that some players need a little bit of experience in between first.

….Branthwaite isn’t an Academy player, Cannon and Simms worked out so well they don’t even play for us ;) . I think Gordon went on loan after he’d played for the first team. Can’t be many Academy loanees who’ve played 50 games for us.

I’m not against loans per se, didn’t do Branthwaite and Coleman any harm but I just think if we have an outstanding youngster with the lack of quality in this squad, the manager will want to use them. If an Academy youngster is sent on loan, I don’t see it as a good sign as far as their future at Everton is concerned, that’s my point.
Not many Academy players with 50+ full stop (loans or otherwise).

Off the top of my head

No loan

Davies
Hibbert
Rooney
Anichebe
Cadamateri

With loan

Barkley
Osman

Probably missed some. But not a huge difference. Plus, have to bear in mind the time of the club - financial or otherwise.

Many more who initially got 1st team (with or without previous loans - mostly without) appearances then went on to be loaned/ sold.
Broadhead
Cannon
Dowell ....

.” If an Academy youngster is sent on loan, I don’t see it as a good sign as far as their future at Everton is concerned, that’s my point.” You’ve said this so many times over the years it becomes pointless having a discussion with you on it , you just keep repeating it again and again and again despite people giving you the evidence to the contrary. You’ve effectively written off Mills because the club decided that at 19 the leap from u21 to PL is too great without him getting experience in mens football first. I’ll leave it there, it’s all a bit pointless.

I understand the part about being skint.
I am not sure what Sean Dyche has to do with anything.
He is the manager who has played Branthwaite in nearly every game this season and has helped in increasing his value to a level none of us could have imagined twelve months ago.
Dyche has only been at the club for about sixteen months and is not responsible for academy recruitment.
He only started Branthwaite because Keane fell off a cliff. he repeatedly named 2 keepers on the bench, played Garner or Young on the wing instead of Dobbin. Hed choose Young, Coleman or Godfrey over Patterson, he couldve played Hunt instead of Young in a dead rubber end of sesson game at left back but didnt. Chermiti limited minutes all season, Gomes who was getting released was consistently picked over youth. Let's not kid ourselves, Dyche will not play young players unless he absolutely has to. The fact one kid made himself undroppable doesn't change that.

Plus the football he plays is rubbish. Why would a promising young forward or midfielder want to come here to play in that system.

Dyche done great to keep us up, he will probably keep us up next season as well, what he won't do is attract promising attacking footballers.

Mate the step up from academy football to the PL is absolutely enormous and only the very, very best can do it in one go.

No idea why people don't seem to understand that some players need a little bit of experience in between first.
Oh, absolutely. No argument here. I’m talking more about the few that “might” have what it takes but never get a real chance with the first team.

…..despite my concerns over Mills being ‘sent out’ last season, I really like him. Such a disappointment we didn’t keep him here. Always have and posted years ago of his potential conversion to RB.

I think he’d be ideal for a wide position in the Harrison type roll. He’s a terrific athlete and powerful runner (we know his Dad’s pedigree and his brother is one of GBs top milers). He’s got attitude, he’s stronger than Harrison and can carry threat in the top third.

It’s all about pre-season for him but I’m not certain of the recovery timescales from his serious injury. I suppose if he’s not back playing after the window shuts, then he might have to be part of things. Fingers crossed for him.

Last edited:

Eggs has abit of a point, you look at last season and the main lads (apart from dobbin) from the academy that got bench time were Hunt & Warrington! Both been released!

Its a big summer for someone like Metcalfe! He doesn't really have the profile to get a high league one, low championship loan! Anywhere lower is sort of writing on the wall (unless you a re a goalkeeper).
So i'd say if metcalfe isn't loaned out..........he might have a chance, if he is..............that's probably him done at Everton