Everton Youth Teams Thread

"I wasn't aware of Josh Sims when I was here and he is not my problem - I work for Everton, not Southampton." Most probably because he can't bother himself attending U23 games.

"Every day we have the contact with David Unsworth [the under-23s coach] and they need time. It is easy to say: ‘He played fantastic, he needs to play in the first team.’ No, they don’t understand the level of the Premier League and they need time. We are not playing in Holland – if so, then yes, they are ready. But ready for the Premier League? If I bring a young player in it is not for one game and then I will show the confidence in that young player. Still they are not ready.”

But okay, you're talking tosh

"Every day we have the contact with David Unsworth [the under-23s coach] and they need time. It is easy to say: ‘He played fantastic, he needs to play in the first team.’ No, they don’t understand the level of the Premier League and they need time. We are not playing in Holland – if so, then yes, they are ready. But ready for the Premier League? If I bring a young player in it is not for one game and then I will show the confidence in that young player. Still they are not ready.”

In fairness I think Koeman has probably been doing the right thing so far in terms of the players he's used.

He started at a new club with a lot of senior pros on decent money. He's given every one of them a chance (bar Niasse), to see if they will have a future under him at the club. He now knows about 95% of them have no future here, but none of them can say they weren't given opportunities.

During this time the U 23 lads have been playing regular football and doing well at their own level, rather than being on the bench every week and not getting enough game time.

Come Jan I think Everton may be quite busy in terms of players out and in, and we may start seeing the likes of Davies etc. given more chances in the first team, as Koeman will start giving them opportunities over any remaining players he now knows are not good enough.

Hmm, most of the headlines and quotes refer to Davies, Dowell and DC-L which is great but few mention Unsy's "thought Callum Connolly was great as well along with Tyias [Browning]."
Connolly is developing nicely under the radar, which is no bad thing. He got caught out for their goal against Southampton last week, but it wasn't a bad one and usually one of the CBs will cover but three people were partly culpable in my view. In the second half he was arguably our best attacker with a number of runs and shots at goal with his right foot. Its interesting that elsewhere someone was bemoaning the fact that Garbutt was playing at right back and if it would be good for his development, well Connolly went on loan to Barnsley and played all his games at right back, he is right footed , then came back and played at left back as well. For his age he's the most versatile player we've got, able to play in any back four position. Monday he started at CB and then moved to LB to allow Fenney to come on. Another who's only 19 , and very few defenders establish themselves at so young an age. It will be interesting to see if he's considered loan material in January or whether he remains at FF on the basis that while at one time our LB options appeared vast now we're only an injury or two from him being an acceptable bench option.

About time we did something in this.

http://www.evertonfc.com/fixtures/2010-to-2019/2016-2017/fa-youth-cup/everton-u18s-v-tranmere-u18s

495671f52e034e8293563837febc3765.png

Everton U18s v Tranmere U18s
1fe25f347d6345baa9d6c2ddd298bda9.jpg

Kevin Sheedy says his Under-18s side are out to transfer their league form to the FA Youth Cup when they take on Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park on Thursday.

The young Blues are on an 11-game unbeaten streak after Saturday’s 2-0 win at Derby County, keeping them firmly in the pack hunting the Premier League title.

Attention now turns to the prestigious Youth Cup for the visit of the Super Whites (7pm kick-off), a competition that has eluded the Toffees since 1998.

And with his players in superb form, Sheedy admits selecting a starting XI isn’t a straightforward decision.

“Everyone’s looking forward to this game,” he told evertonfc.com. “There’s good competition for places, everyone’s fighting to get in the team which is healthy.

“There were one or two disappointed to be left out [against Derby], but that’s what you need. My job and that of [Under-18s assistant] Paul Tait is to get the best out of the players and they’re doing really well.

“It’s a local derby. We’ve watched Tranmere and they’ll be a difficult test. They’ve got some good players and they’ll be highly motivated so we need to make sure we’re ready for them.

“The lads are oozing with confidence at the moment and we want the games to keep coming. Out of the last 11 games, we’ve won seven and drawn four - and we should have won those four. After our slow start, we’ve put ourselves in a good league position. We just need to keep winning games, not get beat and we’ll have a great chance.”

Tickets will be available on the Goodison turnstiles, priced at £3 for adults and £1 for concessions.

Due to competition rules, free entry for Season Ticket holders and Foreverton members is NOT available for this fixture.

no it's not.

If, in his opinion, they were ready he'd play them.

In his opinion, they aren't - yet.

I trust his opinion, based on everything he has achieved in his career, over some fans who think the solution to everything is to get kids in.

Holgate is ready and good enough - he's been in every matchday squad.

Davies isn't far away.
Have to disagree based on what I've seen of him, the way he talks, and his non attendance at U23 games.

I'm also getting pretty fed up of posters stating Koeman knows best and it's just some uninformed fans calling for kids to play. Let's be clear the manager of the U23 said last season there were a number of them ready. The same manager who the courage of his convictions and played 4 of them against Norwich. The same manager who said the skill of the new manager would be to blend the young players in.

"Every day we have the contact with David Unsworth [the under-23s coach] and they need time. It is easy to say: ‘He played fantastic, he needs to play in the first team.’ No, they don’t understand the level of the Premier League and they need time. . . But ready for the Premier League? If I bring a young player in it is not for one game and then I will show the confidence in that young player. Still they are not ready.”
More tosh -
Unsworth "That will be the skill of the manager: can he blend top established players with a new generation of unbelievable talent? It doesn't matter how old you are, if you watch that performance, you know that Kieran, Tom, Jonjoe and Matty are here to stay and basically you build a team around that . . . I think it's a goldmine, not just one or two, we have got an abundance of top quality."

Tim Howard:"The guy who comes in and manages this team is sitting on a goldmine. The future is bright. Those boys played well. I didn't have that kind of wherewithal or talent at their age so I was excited to see them play. With the passion in this city for this club and the talent that's on display, the sky's the limit."

About time we did something in this.

http://www.evertonfc.com/fixtures/2010-to-2019/2016-2017/fa-youth-cup/everton-u18s-v-tranmere-u18s

495671f52e034e8293563837febc3765.png

Everton U18s v Tranmere U18s
1fe25f347d6345baa9d6c2ddd298bda9.jpg

Kevin Sheedy says his Under-18s side are out to transfer their league form to the FA Youth Cup when they take on Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park on Thursday.

The young Blues are on an 11-game unbeaten streak after Saturday’s 2-0 win at Derby County, keeping them firmly in the pack hunting the Premier League title.

Attention now turns to the prestigious Youth Cup for the visit of the Super Whites (7pm kick-off), a competition that has eluded the Toffees since 1998.

And with his players in superb form, Sheedy admits selecting a starting XI isn’t a straightforward decision.

“Everyone’s looking forward to this game,” he told evertonfc.com. “There’s good competition for places, everyone’s fighting to get in the team which is healthy.

“There were one or two disappointed to be left out [against Derby], but that’s what you need. My job and that of [Under-18s assistant] Paul Tait is to get the best out of the players and they’re doing really well.

“It’s a local derby. We’ve watched Tranmere and they’ll be a difficult test. They’ve got some good players and they’ll be highly motivated so we need to make sure we’re ready for them.

“The lads are oozing with confidence at the moment and we want the games to keep coming. Out of the last 11 games, we’ve won seven and drawn four - and we should have won those four. After our slow start, we’ve put ourselves in a good league position. We just need to keep winning games, not get beat and we’ll have a great chance.”

Tickets will be available on the Goodison turnstiles, priced at £3 for adults and £1 for concessions.

Due to competition rules, free entry for Season Ticket holders and Foreverton members is NOT available for this fixture.

....I always think a good run in the FA Youth Cup is a real indicator of a star player or two in your side.

....I always think a good run in the FA Youth Cup is a real indicator of a star player or two in your side.
Yeah hopefully this is the case for us this year . I remember reading a Daily Mail on line article showing the winners of the FA Youth Cup over the past few years and being surprised as to how few made it in each team , sometimes none . There was a RS team that won it two years in a row and there was only one player in both teams , Spearing , I'd heard of . I also remember the Villa side that beat us had two brothers , the Moores, who I followed for a few years but they didn't amount to much .... now that lad on the losing side with the "once a Blue always a Blue" T shirt....

Ive dug up the article , its an interesting game of spotting how many you remember at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...p-titles-row-players-play-Premier-League.html

Yeah hopefully this is the case for us this year . I remember reading a Daily Mail on line article showing the winners of the FA Youth Cup over the past few years and being surprised as to how few made it in each team , sometimes none . There was a RS team that won it two years in a row and there was only one player in both teams , Spearing , I'd heard of . I also remember the Villa side that beat us had two brothers , the Moores, who I followed for a few years but they didn't amount to much .... now that lad on the losing side with the "once a Blue always a Blue" T shirt....

Ive dug up the article , its an interesting game of spotting how many you remember at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...p-titles-row-players-play-Premier-League.html

That Villa side had some good players when you look back on it now.

I remember the Moore brothers taking all the headlines but Steven Davis absolutely ran the show and turned in to a very good player.
I also remember Ridgewell standing out who has also became a prove premiership player whilst Peter Whittingham was decent for Cardiff and one of the Moores played for premiership football also, if I remember right.

I remember the Moore brothers taking all the headlines but Steven Davis absolutely ran the show and turned in to a very good player.
I also remember Ridgewell standing out who has also became a prove premiership player whilst Peter Whittingham was decent for Cardiff and one of the Moores played for premiership football also, if I remember right.

Luke played for WBA I think.

Would have Steven Davis now.

Just read the article linked, I played/trained alongside at least 8 of those players from the Liverpool sides at Accrington a few years back.

Jimmy Ryan, Ray Puterill, Godwin Antwi, Charlie Barnett, Craig Lindfield, Ryan Flynn, Ian Dunbavin, John Newby, they all had a go there.

i also played against the likes of Stuart Quinn who played Sunday league for the Allerton.

Yep, I went the home game, Davis was the real star of the show. I remember Whittingham too.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back