Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
I think that will depend on how we are doing on the pitch by January. If we are going well and have few injury problems seems like the strategy should be to keep powder dry until the summer in the hope we have European football/trophy to help attract players.

Alternatively if things aren't going well or there's an injury crisis we may have to go big in January to rescue the season.

January is also the month of League Cup semi-finals (here's hoping), the start of the FA Cup and players away at the African Cup of Nations so we could need to add depth. And some clubs with decent players will have dropped out of the CL that would be no use to other clubs still in the CL. As long as our league position got their attention, we could nip in a get a couple before the summer. Prices will be just as mad in January and next summer, so why wait?

I think that will depend on how we are doing on the pitch by January. If we are going well and have few injury problems seems like the strategy should be to keep powder dry until the summer in the hope we have European football/trophy to help attract players.

Alternatively if things aren't going well or there's an injury crisis we may have to go big in January to rescue the season.

The problem with everton for years has been what you've just desrcibed. If you are doing well then you strengthen. You don't rest on your laurels. At times of strength you make your further improvements. The idea that we should only go into the market if things are going badly is utter nonsense and small time.

The problem with everton for years has been what you've just desrcibed. If you are doing well then you strengthen. You don't rest on your laurels. At times of strength you make your further improvements. The idea that we should only go into the market if things are going badly is utter nonsense and small time.
With respect to the January window, you should only do what business as you need there because your funds would progress the club further during the summer. Think of it in terms of opportunity cost.

well no there are loads of teams who don't buy in january because it is overpriced and desperate. clubs go in if an opportunity presents itself or if they have pressing needs.

good planning and execution in summer windows should more than cover full season needs

No I don't. I think you misunderstand what Moshiri and Ryazantsev did. They persuaded Raiola firstly that Lukaku should stay for at least one more year. However part of the deal was to put a price in the market for Lukaku - if you like a bit of a face saving exercise, given all the noises coming out of the Lukaku camp prior to the meeting. That price was set at a level no-one would bid at.

Had Lukaku wanted to leave, or had Raiola not wished him to stay, Lukaku would have been sold for considerably less than the £75 million figure given. He, his agent and his Father would have forced a move, regardless of Moshiri's stated intention of retaining players.
A plausible theory but there is another. Lukaku finally piped down when there was absolutely no interest forthcoming at the £65m+ level.
Chelsea eventually showed real interest but would't go anywhere near the price and not even make a single official bid and that's primarily why he stayed.
It's not that he was convinced but that no rich teams were convinced enough by him to pay big unlike with Stones.
Whatever the truth it's great he stayed.

well no there are loads of teams who don't buy in january because it is overpriced and desperate. clubs go in if an opportunity presents itself or if they have pressing needs.

good planning and execution in summer windows should more than cover full season needs

Well yeah ideally but look how that has turned out. If we don't buy in January then the Stones money is lost into a black hole known as Bill's hip pocket.

Lol. What a load of old tosh.

Moshiri comes out of it angry and shaking. That's what the friendly press are there for I suppose.

He's the owner, it went west on his watch no one else's.

FFS, I wish this feller had the decency and balls to just put his hand up and admit he and his team got it wrong. Instead all we've had is him casting his employees as villains of the piece.

Well yeah ideally but look how that has turned out. If we don't buy in January then the Stones money is lost into a black hole known as Bill's hip pocket.
well even by the theory that we have no money to spend we've spent all but a million of the 'stones money'

and it's one window for our club that is sorting itself out internally in a market where demand is flush and supply is fixed, driving up prices and creating all sorts of weird situations.

though I do agree this is one of the rare january windows where we should buy though not if it's a desperation move for sissoko or something.

Moshiri comes out of it angry and shaking. That's what the friendly press are there for I suppose.

FFS, I wish this feller had the decency and balls to just put his hand up and admit he and his team got it wrong. Instead all we've had is him casting his employees as villains of the piece.
isn't the echo just republishing the mirror with a few extra sentences added in? pretty embarrassing

...I'd like to think these same 'villains' won't have any say at all next time round.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back