Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
People seemingly ignoring the fact that Moshiri was able to lure both Koeman and Walsh from clubs with European football to a bottom half club. Based on what? It cannot just be that Moshiri hiked their salaries massively (even if it was just this that is ambitious in and of itself). Pre-Moshiri the chances of us attracting Koeman, Walsh, Williams or Bolasie would be zero. Not only would we be unable to attract them we'd probably be unable to afford them as well. In all likelihood Lukaku would not be here either, Martinez still would be and the likes of Barkley Mirallas Coleman and Baines would seriously be considering their futures with the club. There wouldn't even be a sniff of a rumour about a waterfront stadium, and the annual cycle of loans and poor sponsorship deals would not even have a rumoured end in sight.

To say nothing has changed is absolutely ridiculous. I can half understand that the pace of change isnt what some people thought but people seem to be asking for the impossible.

How long has Abramovich worked on a new stadium for Chelsea? How long has Levy taken to get Spurs to where they are in terms of their stadium? How long did successive Liverpool regimes take just to even expand a new stand? Yet for some reason our fanbase is demanding that Moshiri nails this down within the first 6 months of his tenure, something that has evaded previous Everton regimes for decades.

On the playing side, how many seasons of a blank cheque did it take for Manchester City to get into the CL? (Even including Shinawatra's money that Sven spent freely)? Quite a few, they had an awkward phase in between buying the calibre of players such as Roque Santa Cruz, Wayne Bridge, Shay Given, Gareth Barry before they could go for stars like Silva and Aguero. Moshiri delivers premier league players (Williams and Bolasie) with high profiles yet is derided for not landing that marquee signing in his very first window (Everton fans now casually ignoring that we broke our transfer record)

As a fanbase we are desperate for success so i understand the impatience but really if you'd laid out this position last year there would not be one fan who wouldn't have bitten your hand off to be where we are now. There has been improvement whether you blindly deny it or not. The playing squad is deeper and has more quality than it had, the managerial team is more experienced, has won more, and has a better reputation in the game, improvements have been made to Finch Farm and Goodison, and unless Joe Anderson is a complete liar then a new stadium i closer than it ever has been. All of this within Moshiri's first 6 months. Yet people are labelling him a fraud, absolute lunacy.
Stands up and applauds. +10 sir.

I agree, I can't see it being a phantom bid. The texts afterwards strike me as damage limitation. For an analogy it struck me as a bloke who chatted up a woman and she went off with his better looking mate texting a third party to say he wasn't really interested anyway and wasn't try to pull her.
True, but in doing so, IMO, he only made matters worse and made us look more ridiculous. Like saying we're not bothered, when clearly we are otherwise why say it.

I think in those circumstances it was best to say nothing; which is exactly what the club normally does so made it all the more surprising.

Exactly mate.

For nothing to have genuinely changed at the club then Moshiri has sold Koeman, Walsh, Joe Anderson and assorted players, journos, club officials, Kenwright et al a total pup.

As he's sold them all the club based on his ambition, and that ambition included player investment and a new stadium. So if that was lies, then when was he expecting them all to find out like? And how was he expecting to get away with it?

Questioning the blokes entire integrity based on a handful of botched transfers at the end of the window is completely overblown nonsense
No one is suggesting a deception on that scale. What is (legitimately) being pointed out is that there is a massive chasm between the fragmented comments we have from Moshiri and his team hinting broadly at a fundamental break with the past (and third parties in the press and social media who feel they speak with authority on behalf of Moshiri and who have amplified this 'break' more vociferously) and the reality of our situation after he's been in control for 6 months.

It is, when you compare what's happened with what was promised, a massive let down. There is no fundamental, as I see it, movement in the key areas of the club architecture that are central to change:

No step change in squad investment (in fact a reverse of our fortunes from recent windows)
No concrete evidence that the stadium issue is anything other than a long term hope rather than imminent reality
No documentary evidence that Moshiri's cash will impact positively on our levels of debt (and every indication that borrowing will still be a fact of life at EFC)

You can dismiss all that if you wish, but it cant be contradicted.

People seemingly ignoring the fact that Moshiri was able to lure both Koeman and Walsh from clubs with European football to a bottom half club. Based on what? It cannot just be that Moshiri hiked their salaries massively (even if it was just this that is ambitious in and of itself). Pre-Moshiri the chances of us attracting Koeman, Walsh, Williams or Bolasie would be zero. Not only would we be unable to attract them we'd probably be unable to afford them as well. In all likelihood Lukaku would not be here either, Martinez still would be and the likes of Barkley Mirallas Coleman and Baines would seriously be considering their futures with the club. There wouldn't even be a sniff of a rumour about a waterfront stadium, and the annual cycle of loans and poor sponsorship deals would not even have a rumoured end in sight.

To say nothing has changed is absolutely ridiculous. I can half understand that the pace of change isnt what some people thought but people seem to be asking for the impossible.

How long has Abramovich worked on a new stadium for Chelsea? How long has Levy taken to get Spurs to where they are in terms of their stadium? How long did successive Liverpool regimes take just to even expand a new stand? Yet for some reason our fanbase is demanding that Moshiri nails this down within the first 6 months of his tenure, something that has evaded previous Everton regimes for decades.

On the playing side, how many seasons of a blank cheque did it take for Manchester City to get into the CL? (Even including Shinawatra's money that Sven spent freely)? Quite a few, they had an awkward phase in between buying the calibre of players such as Roque Santa Cruz, Wayne Bridge, Shay Given, Gareth Barry before they could go for stars like Silva and Aguero. Moshiri delivers premier league players (Williams and Bolasie) with high profiles yet is derided for not landing that marquee signing in his very first window (Everton fans now casually ignoring that we broke our transfer record)

As a fanbase we are desperate for success so i understand the impatience but really if you'd laid out this position last year there would not be one fan who wouldn't have bitten your hand off to be where we are now. There has been improvement whether you blindly deny it or not. The playing squad is deeper and has more quality than it had, the managerial team is more experienced, has won more, and has a better reputation in the game, improvements have been made to Finch Farm and Goodison, and unless Joe Anderson is a complete liar then a new stadium i closer than it ever has been. All of this within Moshiri's first 6 months. Yet people are labelling him a fraud, absolute lunacy.
Excellent post.

Nice to have some balance against the vocal, sky-is-falling minority.

The end of the window was a balls up, but that - and Moshiri's statement about it - are the only things that have given me reason to be upset with the new regime.

We're making good progress, and it's important not to lose sight of that.

Great post ;)

To be fair I can understand why many of our fans our sceptical. We've been there before so many times over the years, especially as regards the stadium. But even the sceptics shouldn't be saying more than, "I'll believe it when I see it" or "I'll reserve judgement until I see some evidence" etc. To come out and call Mosh a fraud, accusing him of making phantom bids and running off with the TV money is not just ridiculous but bordering on libel. Let's hope he never comes on this forum.

As you've said Dom, he's actually achieved a lot in the 6 months since he took over. We're in a much better place than we were in February, both on and off the field, and I am not just optimistic, but confident for the future.

If anything, the club were too ambitious in the last transfer window and aimed too high. Players didn't want to come here and overall we were made to look inept at best. In fact I believe, in our transfer dealings (including strategy), we actually were inept; but hopefully we will learn from that for the future.

True, but in doing so, IMO, he only made matters worse and made us look more ridiculous. Like saying we're not bothered, when clearly we are otherwise why say it.

I think in those circumstances it was best to say nothing; which is exactly what the club normally does so made it all the more surprising.

I think saying nothing is wrong too. The club should have put out a proper statement as to what happened during this window. Elstone rarely communicates and when he does he tries to take people for idiots. Kenwright goes missing at times of difficulty. I suspect Moshiri sent that text to Jim White on the basis of it not being made public to try and exert a little influence and White probably betrayed his trust somewhat.

Not only was it wrong though, as there should be open and transparent communication with fans, it also looks very weak. Like we are crawling around Sky Sports News and Jim White to get a favourable hearing. If he wants to undermine us let him but don't try to pander to his better instincts.

I have no insight to the workings of the board but I imagine Moshiri has lost his head a little bit with whats happened and sent a ridiculous text. We need a clear statement to try and put things right and I hope he's learning Elstone and Kenwright are not up to the job.

Actions speak louder than words, but to be honest, if his words consist of spouting some bullcrap to Sky about McCarthy being family maybe he should keep his mouth shut as well.

I get that people wish to keep looking at the positives, but for me there arent any.

We sold to buy, like we always do.

We sacked an underperforming manager a few months after we should have, like we always do.

And we currently still play at Goodison, like we always do.

I want to see spades in the ground, I want to see "investment" off and on the pitch, so far all im seeing is Propaganda that wouldnt be out of place in 1937 Germany.

I want to see SOME indication that "nothing will be the same", instead we have replaced Bill and his jazz hands on Sky for Moshiri and his Iphone texting Jim White.

Over to you Toshiri, impress me.

No one is suggesting a deception on that scale. What is (legitimately) being pointed out is that there is a massive chasm between the fragmented comments we have from Moshiri and his team hinting broadly at a fundamental break with the past (and third parties in the press and social media who feel they speak with authority on behalf of Moshiri and who have amplified this 'break' more vociferously) and the reality of our situation after he's been in control for 6 months.

It is, when you compare what's happened with what was promised, a massive let down. There is no fundamental, as I see it, movement in the key areas of the club architecture that are central to change:

No step change in squad investment (in fact a reverse of our fortunes from recent windows)
No concrete evidence that the stadium issue is anything other than a long term hope rather than imminent reality
No documentary evidence that Moshiri's cash will impact positively on our levels of debt (and every indication that borrowing will still be a fact of life at EFC)

You can dismiss all that if you wish, but it cant be contradicted.

I think the biggest mistake Moshiri has made over the past 6 months is the raising of expectations beyond a level he would realistically be able to deliver. We have had years of having expectations dampened by managers comments. Occasionally Kenwright would pipe up with something daft but nobody really took any notice of him a long time ago. As a fan base we understandably soaked it all up and he probably didn't appreciate just how literal people would be and how upset we'd be if things weren't delivered.

In fairness to Moshiri there are concrete reasons this summer why we didn't deliver. I would put the blame on incompetence below him as much as deceitfulness. Maybe I'm naïve but I do believe money was available and we tried to bring in players before selling anyone. With Kenwright I never got that feeling, I just felt it was an out and out lie.

I don't care what anyone says but somebody briefed the press that we intended to spend 100 million quid (probably net). It was too co-ordinated and in too many outlets as well as being too specific just to be randomly made up. That was clear stupidity as as soon as we didn't spend that we'd be slaughtered. I have my feelings that was Kenwright briefing the press however it could have been Moshiri's orders.

Either way the second biggest mistake he has made has been keeping on aspects of the old guard. I think he's underestimated how much control they can continue to wield even if he has diminished it somewhat and also underestimated their incompetency. He has sat as a minority shareholder at Arsenal and never sabotaged anything or tried to worm his way in. He probably hoped Bill et al could do the same. The fact that Kenwright ended up on transfers post Bolasie and us not getting any closed in the final 3 weeks says it all.

I am probably a bit more forgiving and optimistic than you. However we really need to see some action going forward. Making a mess of your first transfer window is forgivable if you can learn from it and act upon that knowledge. There is no reason for Kenwright to be involved any more and I can't understand what Elstone offers to the outfit. Promote Walsh if needs be and have a 3 man board to begin with, but anything is better than relying on those 2.

Finally for future transfer windows don't go whacking figures of what we'll spend around to then not deliver. Keep it simple, we are looking to improve the squad and fill the positions the manager requires. This obsession with Marquee signings needs to stop. Get players in who can help the manager.

Some good points but... No chance we'd have landed RK without Moshiri but part of the reason we got him were the leaked claims of having a massive budget.
Given our net spend it's now reasonable to question those claims and I'd be surprised if RK himself isn't doing so privately.

That reads like you think Koeman came to the club because of an article in the Echo

Massive L.O.L.

I'm sure he would've asked his own questions and got his own answers. Answers that he was happy with.

I think saying nothing is wrong too. The club should have put out a proper statement as to what happened during this window. Elstone rarely communicates and when he does he tries to take people for idiots. Kenwright goes missing at times of difficulty. I suspect Moshiri sent that text to Jim White on the basis of it not being made public to try and exert a little influence and White probably betrayed his trust somewhat.

Not only was it wrong though, as there should be open and transparent communication with fans, it also looks very weak. Like we are crawling around Sky Sports News and Jim White to get a favourable hearing. If he wants to undermine us let him but don't try to pander to his better instincts.

I have no insight to the workings of the board but I imagine Moshiri has lost his head a little bit with whats happened and sent a ridiculous text. We need a clear statement to try and put things right and I hope he's learning Elstone and Kenwright are not up to the job.

Once again in hindsight, Moshiri's earlier brief comments in the window regarding being "anxious" to secure further signings should have been heeded as a warning sign. Initially I was buoyed by his comments but if you took them at face value in the context of "old" Everton, then it all pointed to what would turn out to be a rushed/scattergun effort with depressingly predictable end-results.

I actually can't come to a proper conclusion about how the club should handle the PR fall-out from last week. Generally I'm uneasy with club "intent" statements as they only ever tend to raise expectations to levels that are either difficult or impossible to fulfill. They can't legitimately promise to sign player x or spend amount x in the next window.

I agree though, that too much of a vacuum now exists, one which has inevitably been filled with speculation and counter-claim. For me, the best statements are in the form of concrete action - for me I would just rest easier if Kenwright and Elstone were no longer in post, as unfair or otherwise as that may be in relation to their part in transfer business.

There also seems to be an assumption sometimes that billionaires are immune to pressure or making poor decisions/bad judgement calls. It would be interesting to know the management culture that exists in the other organisations in which Moshiri wields significant or other interest. It seems to me that we need a rather forceful CEO in place, and we have an opportunity to appoint one with a hard business/commercial rather than football/sporting background, now that Walsh should be to the forefront with football matters.

No one is suggesting a deception on that scale.

They are - by definition.

If nothing has changed at all in the way the club is to be funded moving forwards then the reality of that would mean that Moshiri has sold all of those who he's encouraged to come to the club (plus many associated with it) a total pup.

What's happened is a botched window, the scepticism is natural to a point I suppose, but some of the comments on here are totally over the top.

I think the biggest mistake Moshiri has made over the past 6 months is the raising of expectations beyond a level he would realistically be able to deliver. We have had years of having expectations dampened by managers comments. Occasionally Kenwright would pipe up with something daft but nobody really took any notice of him a long time ago. As a fan base we understandably soaked it all up and he probably didn't appreciate just how literal people would be and how upset we'd be if things weren't delivered.

In fairness to Moshiri there are concrete reasons this summer why we didn't deliver. I would put the blame on incompetence below him as much as deceitfulness. Maybe I'm naïve but I do believe money was available and we tried to bring in players before selling anyone. With Kenwright I never got that feeling, I just felt it was an out and out lie.

I don't care what anyone says but somebody briefed the press that we intended to spend 100 million quid (probably net). It was too co-ordinated and in too many outlets as well as being too specific just to be randomly made up. That was clear stupidity as as soon as we didn't spend that we'd be slaughtered. I have my feelings that was Kenwright briefing the press however it could have been Moshiri's orders.

Either way the second biggest mistake he has made has been keeping on aspects of the old guard. I think he's underestimated how much control they can continue to wield even if he has diminished it somewhat and also underestimated their incompetency. He has sat as a minority shareholder at Arsenal and never sabotaged anything or tried to worm his way in. He probably hoped Bill et al could do the same. The fact that Kenwright ended up on transfers post Bolasie and us not getting any closed in the final 3 weeks says it all.

I am probably a bit more forgiving and optimistic than you. However we really need to see some action going forward. Making a mess of your first transfer window is forgivable if you can learn from it and act upon that knowledge. There is no reason for Kenwright to be involved any more and I can't understand what Elstone offers to the outfit. Promote Walsh if needs be and have a 3 man board to begin with, but anything is better than relying on those 2.

Finally for future transfer windows don't go whacking figures of what we'll spend around to then not deliver. Keep it simple, we are looking to improve the squad and fill the positions the manager requires. This obsession with Marquee signings needs to stop. Get players in who can help the manager.
I don't think there was a mistake made by Moshiri in ramping up the hype or that there was incompetence in transfer dealings. I believe the window went as they wanted it to go. Spending was kept to below the minimum we had the right to expect and it was worn during the summer by fans due to the massive goodwill the new lot were extended (still extended to them by some even now). It served it's purpose. Spending was made on a new manager and staff and the Stones money was largely recycled. When you consider not only the Stones money but also the increase in tv cash and the continuation of borrowing, everything has paid for itself, so from a fiscal point of view if you were, say, a "money man" as Ryazantsev has been described, it is a superb bit of business done this summer with minimal fuss from a pliant fan base.

They are - by definition.

If nothing has changed at all in the way the club is to be funded moving forwards then the reality of that would mean that Moshiri has sold all of those who he's encouraged to come to the club (plus many associated with it) a total pup.

What's happened is a botched window, the scepticism is natural to a point I suppose, but some of the comments on here are totally over the top.

Reasonable conclusions based on actual facts rather than mindless propaganda.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back