Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
The club has behaved in an amateurish manner and that cannot either be denied nor defended quite honestly. We can only hope that Moshiri will have learnt from this and sets down a few standards for the management team to follow. It's pointless being angry at this point. I think the football team will do well enough but it would be nice if the management team raised their game to CL levels.......

I think the biggest mistake Moshiri has made over the past 6 months is the raising of expectations beyond a level he would realistically be able to deliver. We have had years of having expectations dampened by managers comments. Occasionally Kenwright would pipe up with something daft but nobody really took any notice of him a long time ago. As a fan base we understandably soaked it all up and he probably didn't appreciate just how literal people would be and how upset we'd be if things weren't delivered.

In fairness to Moshiri there are concrete reasons this summer why we didn't deliver. I would put the blame on incompetence below him as much as deceitfulness. Maybe I'm naïve but I do believe money was available and we tried to bring in players before selling anyone. With Kenwright I never got that feeling, I just felt it was an out and out lie.

I don't care what anyone says but somebody briefed the press that we intended to spend 100 million quid (probably net). It was too co-ordinated and in too many outlets as well as being too specific just to be randomly made up. That was clear stupidity as as soon as we didn't spend that we'd be slaughtered. I have my feelings that was Kenwright briefing the press however it could have been Moshiri's orders.

Either way the second biggest mistake he has made has been keeping on aspects of the old guard. I think he's underestimated how much control they can continue to wield even if he has diminished it somewhat and also underestimated their incompetency. He has sat as a minority shareholder at Arsenal and never sabotaged anything or tried to worm his way in. He probably hoped Bill et al could do the same. The fact that Kenwright ended up on transfers post Bolasie and us not getting any closed in the final 3 weeks says it all.

I am probably a bit more forgiving and optimistic than you. However we really need to see some action going forward. Making a mess of your first transfer window is forgivable if you can learn from it and act upon that knowledge. There is no reason for Kenwright to be involved any more and I can't understand what Elstone offers to the outfit. Promote Walsh if needs be and have a 3 man board to begin with, but anything is better than relying on those 2.

Finally for future transfer windows don't go whacking figures of what we'll spend around to then not deliver. Keep it simple, we are looking to improve the squad and fill the positions the manager requires. This obsession with Marquee signings needs to stop. Get players in who can help the manager.
I was going to respond to Davek, but then read your post which pretty much said what I would have.

I would add that anybody expecting major inroads on the new ground by now is being unreasonable. By all means remain sceptical until there's something concrete in place, but the club would be irresponsible to put out a statement prematurely, especially if it could effect ongoing negotiations.

Plus if they did jump the gun with an announcement, even if it's just one of intent, and it didn't subsequently happen, well the fumes on here would be........ Mosh would need a bodyguard.

All they ever needed to do when they came in was to state that transfer spending would be in line with what has gone on in the recent past and that all efforts will be focussed upon securing a suitable new home for EFC.

If they had done that ^^^^ it would have been absolutely fine for 100% of fans, and even a few hard luck stories around a break even window would have been tolerated. The fact, though, that they chose to go beyond that and promise to give "everything they had", and not correct £100m warchest stories in the media, tends to suggest that we really don't know what we have on our hands now.

It could settle down and they communicate more with fans and become more circumspect in their dealings with the media, and make rapid progress on the stadium issue; or it could be they are the next chapter in a continuing nightmare of carpetbaggers and hucksters who have got their feet under the boardroom table at the club. That's the damage they've done to themselves.

I suppose I am clinging to the belief it was Kenwright mate. Moshiri before this Jim White episode didn't seem the sort to court publicity but Kenwright would. He'd also be too thick to realise he was setting himself up for a fall and in all honesty would rely on his skills to weasel his way out of it if the worst happened.

As you've said though, there is a layer of the fan base who will always forgive Kenwright. He is a local Evertonian. Moshiri is neither. Kenwright needs to be cleared out sharpish as the operation will be sabotaged if he isn't.

I was going to respond to Davek, but then read your post which pretty much said what I would have.

I would add that anybody expecting major inroads on the new ground by now is being unreasonable. By all means remain sceptical until there's something concrete in place, but the club would be irresponsible to put out a statement prematurely, especially if it could effect ongoing negotiations.

Plus if they did jump the gun with an announcement, even if it's just one of intent, and it didn't subsequently happen, well the fumes on here would be........ Mosh would need a bodyguard.

Yes the point is you make statements about general statements and goals and keep specifics for meetings. We almost appear to have gone about it the opposite way.

Yep I agree with all of that mate. Communication with the media needs to be kept at a minimum and we need to keep control of it as much as possible. We don't needs a "warts and all" inquest publically and should avoid talking about the minutae of deals. I wouldn't even comment on Sissoko or any other specific player for that matter, particularly if they don't play for us. It is irrelevant.

However a general statement containing the below would be helpful:
a) Disappointed not to close more deals-but they have to be right for Everton.
b) Pleased with the acquisitions we have.
c) Structure stronger now, having acquired Walsh/Koeman.
d) This will be beneficial to us going forward.
e) Money remains available for future windows, while Walsh/Koeman will benefit from having worked closely together.
f) Investment is more broad than player recruitment. We are working on a number of projects concurrently. Everything doesn't always go to plan, but the end goal remains the same, which is to give Everton the best chance of winning honours.

I don't work in PR or media and plucked that out of my backside off the top of my head. I really have no idea what Everton's PR team and CEO are playing at most of the time. It's continual small time thinking, trying to massage the problems to con fans. Rather than just coming out and putting their side of things.
Maybe you should, consider a career in PR & media that is.

Hopefully there will be a position advertised at Goodson soon!!;)

That's correct players of that standard that expect and want to play in the champions league
There's plenty of players at the standard of teams who play in the champions league we could have signed.

Bony and Hart being two that would have been relatively straightforward for a start.

Why we didn't who really knows?

I guess it comes down to each individual player and that situation why we didn't but the fact we got none isn't good and reeks of gross incompetence or that we didn't have the money. I guess we won't really know which until next window.

I fancy come Jan we will be dipping into a loan facility and a combination of money acquired via player sales to cover new transfers (repeat that for next summer with the ROM money used for new player acquisitions.)
It seems to me that the PL money has been ring-fenced for other use and thus the NEW Everton is the OLD Everton.
i reckon Moshiri will be looking to sell up once he has the stadium build started and we will have new owners again in 2-3 yrs.

Not in the least bit surprised. Not that that'll be likely to happen, but that you believe it.

There's plenty of players at the standard of teams who play in the champions league we could have signed.

Bony and Hart being two that would have been relatively straightforward for a start.

Why we didn't who really knows?

I guess it comes down to each individual player and that situation why we didn't but the fact we got none isn't good and reeks of gross incompetence or that we didn't have the money. I guess we won't really know which until next window.
I'd add Wilshire to that list too mate.

We would have boxed off the 3 positions where we lack cover too.

Not for the want of trying though eh!

Prior Moshiri it was Yarmolenko and others.

Now it was Witsel, Kone, Gabbiadini, Perez and others.

The eventual outcome was as it has been for a long time. A lack of investment in the playing squad.

We didn't invest in the playing staff because our targets chose to join CL clubs, we tried to send 30m on Sissoko

Did we?

Moshiri: "Sissoko is a great player. But when I bought into Everton, I made it clear I was proud to join a family. And we don’t turn our backs on our own. Keeping James McCarthy was a priority and ultimately we could not proceed with a deal that would jeopardise his place at Everton. We wish Sissoko the best."

To judge Moshiri on 5 months and 1 transfer window is a bit premature don't you think?

Likewise, to herald him as a saviour.

I'm all for hope and optimism, but I think some allow it to cloud judgement. I try, as best as I can - call a spade, a spade.

To date, I couldn't say Moshiri has had any significant impact on Everton. Scribble down how Moshiri has improved us so far, and you need to put a big circle and emphasis around how long he's been here to mitigate the lack of significant activity for me.

Prior Moshiri it was Yarmolenko and others.

Now it was Witsel, Kone, Gabbiadini, Perez and others.

The eventual outcome was as it has been for a long time. A lack of investment in the playing squad.

Did we?

Moshiri: "Sissoko is a great player. But when I bought into Everton, I made it clear I was proud to join a family. And we don’t turn our backs on our own. Keeping James McCarthy was a priority and ultimately we could not proceed with a deal that would jeopardise his place at Everton. We wish Sissoko the best."

Likewise, to herald him as a saviour.

I'm all for hope and optimism, but I think some allow it to cloud judgement. I try, as best as I can - call a spade, a spade.

To date, I couldn't say Moshiri has had any significant impact on Everton. Scribble down how Moshiri has improved us so far, and you need to put a big circle and emphasis around how long he's been here to mitigate the lack of significant activity for me.
So just totally ignoring the fact that during his time we sacked Martinez, replaced him with Koeman and Walsh? Upgrade to GP? Etc, many people like it seems yourself seem to just totally downplay all of that,

So just totally ignoring the fact that during his time we sacked Martinez, replaced him with Koeman and Walsh? Upgrade to GP? Etc, many people like it seems yourself seem to just totally downplay all of that,

Ignoring the fact?

No, not really. As I said this morning, in this very thread...

So just totally ignoring the fact that during his time we sacked Martinez, replaced him with Koeman and Walsh?

As of now, for me at least as a fan who goes the game, all that has changed is we have a manager with a higher profile in the game and some stadium cladding.

Upgrade to GP? Etc, many people like it seems yourself seem to just totally downplay all of that,

As of now, for me at least as a fan who goes the game, all that has changed is we have a manager with a higher profile in the game and some stadium cladding.

Its nothing new tho is it, Everton have been sacking managers for years, Everton have been improving Goodison for years, selling to buy is nothing new either.

Everything we have done as a club so far could have easily been achieved with Kenwright, Earl and Philly Green.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back