Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
They are - by definition.

If nothing has changed at all in the way the club is to be funded moving forwards then the reality of that would mean that Moshiri has sold all of those who he's encouraged to come to the club (plus many associated with it) a total pup.

What's happened is a botched window, the scepticism is natural to a point I suppose, but some of the comments on here are totally over the top.
No, what he's failed to do is what I've accused him of since the first week he was announced as the new largest shareholder and de facto owner: not communicated with the most important people of all and in some depth - the fans.

And the result is this: after an underwhelming summer for many if not most this feller has lost his allure. Worse still for some - they now view him and his team with suspicion.

They may want to play their cards close to their chest, but this is a fan base that's had the piss ripped out of them for years and are in no mood to tolerate someone who just tips up and declares himself a break with the past.

I don't think there was a mistake made by Moshiri in ramping up the hype or that there was incompetence in transfer dealings. I believe the window went as they wanted it to go. Spending was kept to below the minimum we had the right to expect and it was worn during the summer by fans due to the massive goodwill the new lot were extended (still extended to them by some even now). It served it's purpose. Spending was made on a new manager and staff and the Stones money was largely recycled. When you consider not only the Stones money but also the increase in tv cash and the continuation of borrowing, everything has paid for itself, so from a fiscal point of view if you were, say, a "money man" as Ryazantsev has been described, it is a superb bit of business done this summer with minimal fuss from a pliant fan base.

That could be the case mate. The issue with that would be why go leaking outlandish statements of what we were going to do to the press, to know people would be angry 3 months later?

There exists 3 possibilities:
a) 100 million figure leaked to press with intention of keeping to it.
b) 100 million figure leaked to press with intention of keeping it but incompetence means we can't close deals.
c) They never intended the information to get out.

I think we can discard c as it was too widespread and nothing was really done to challenge it. If A) is the case it would be seriously naïve of Moshiri to allow that to occur. My money would be on Kenwright probably letting it be known.

Either way the moral of the story is don't go promising things you can't/won't deliver. If they'd have said "we are not going to waste money, we will focus our activities in acquiring the best manager we can and bulking up our scouting network" or something along those lines it would have let people down gently.

Overall though, what we are getting at here is there is a clear lack of a coherent plan. It seems to me that people on the board are going in different directions at different speeds. It's clear Kenwright still sees himself as part of the furniture. We need some clarity. I don't expect us to spend loads on players, but if we have a limited budget we need to be aware of that and focus our spending on the areas that need it most.

Annoyingly.

He's right.

Actions -The board has remained as is, we didn't invest in the playing squad, some cladding.
Words - Programme note, post Bolasie "anxious to strengthen the squad" placing onus elsewhere - Chairman who is "supported". Jim White quotes.
Conjecture. Meh.

As of now, for me at least as a fan who goes the game, all that has changed is we have a manager with a higher profile in the game and some stadium cladding.
We didn't invest in the playing staff because our targets chose to join CL clubs, we tried to send 30m on Sissoko, had he come that would be around £29m invested, I'm glad we didn't get him at that price.

Are we a stronger force now than we were in May, yes 100%.

I have no doubts we had the funds, we aren't the only club who struggled to bring in players, most did.

To judge Moshiri on 5 months and 1 transfer window is a bit premature don't you think?

I think saying nothing is wrong too. The club should have put out a proper statement as to what happened during this window. Elstone rarely communicates and when he does he tries to take people for idiots. Kenwright goes missing at times of difficulty. I suspect Moshiri sent that text to Jim White on the basis of it not being made public to try and exert a little influence and White probably betrayed his trust somewhat.

Not only was it wrong though, as there should be open and transparent communication with fans, it also looks very weak. Like we are crawling around Sky Sports News and Jim White to get a favourable hearing. If he wants to undermine us let him but don't try to pander to his better instincts.

I have no insight to the workings of the board but I imagine Moshiri has lost his head a little bit with whats happened and sent a ridiculous text. We need a clear statement to try and put things right and I hope he's learning Elstone and Kenwright are not up to the job.
I was actually referring specifically to the Sissoko matter when I wrote we shouldn't have said anything. Yes it was anther embarrassing event for us fans, but I think we were generally considered to be the wronged party on this occasion and it would have all blown over in a few days, especially as few of us really wanted the guy anyway.

I agree that the club should, in general, be more communicative with the fans and definitely show more transparency regarding our finances in particular. And also agree that Elstone is an absolute whopper in the way he treats our fans. He forgets there wouldn't even be an Everton if 40,000 people didn't turned up every week.

As regards the transfer window specifically, I'd prefer the club not to come out with a "warts and all" version of events. I don't think it serves any purpose and may undermine some of the players who are still at the club and expected to put a committed shift in every week. I would be happy with Koeman, during his next press conference, saying something along the lines of being disappointed at not being able to strengthen he squad as much as he'd hoped, but that the club were looking at their processes to ensure they get it right in future.

I agree with your comments on Moshiri too. They were the sort of comments you'd expect from the owners of West Ham or Palace. They were most unexpected and out of character from what we've seen from him so far. Let's hope he learns from it.

Once again in hindsight, Moshiri's earlier brief comments in the window regarding being "anxious" to secure further signings should have been heeded as a warning sign. Initially I was buoyed by his comments but if you took them at face value in the context of "old" Everton, then it all pointed to what would turn out to be a rushed/scattergun effort with depressingly predictable end-results.

I actually can't come to a proper conclusion about how the club should handle the PR fall-out from last week. Generally I'm uneasy with club "intent" statements as they only ever tend to raise expectations to levels that are either difficult or impossible to fulfill. They can't legitimately promise to sign player x or spend amount x in the next window.

I agree though, that too much of a vacuum now exists, one which has inevitably been filled with speculation and counter-claim. For me, the best statements are in the form of concrete action - for me I would just rest easier if Kenwright and Elstone were no longer in post, as unfair or otherwise as that may be in relation to their part in transfer business.

There also seems to be an assumption sometimes that billionaires are immune to pressure or making poor decisions/bad judgement calls. It would be interesting to know the management culture that exists in the other organisations in which Moshiri wields significant or other interest. It seems to me that we need a rather forceful CEO in place, and we have an opportunity to appoint one with a hard business/commercial rather than football/sporting background, now that Walsh should be to the forefront with football matters.

As always good post mate. It looks to me like Moshiri is a devolver as opposed to someone who is hands on. I have no problem with this (and actually think it's good practice). However there is a major problem when you have people in your organisation who are not up to the job. More importantly not only not up to the job, delusional about their abilities and working in a completely different manner to the sort of organisation you are looking to create.

At first I was happy Kenwright would be kept on. I'd hope he'd be able to put the good of the club before his own ego, take a backwards step and give Moshiri the support he may need in the first year with the club. Everything I have seen, heard or surmise over the last 6 months convinces me this was a miscalculation. It seems to me like Moshiri will be learning bad habits from Kenwright and in all honesty he is delaying the inevitable to humiliating affect (as we saw most aptly with the sacking of Martinez).

The club is at a cross roads. I think for many people they don't want to leave the old Everton behind. There are many bits of that I like as well. Goodison, local community work, a great academy, jobs for old players, a local Evertonian owning us etc. It's a compelling story if parochial. In the absence of success it's all we've had to fall back on.

Bill is the embodiment of that image, of plucky little Everton. Unless he goes he will hold us back.

Statements are always difficult. I am not convinced we should be getting them all the time. However Elstone hardly ever communicates and when he does it is often with mis-information. I remember his own manager having (Moyes) having to correct him when he lied about the cost of players we'd signed. Most of the time it was reactive, defensive communication aimed at covering a mess. Very little of it was ever addressed at trying to eradicate the mess.

This transfer window ended up going so wrong I think a statement to the footballing world is needed. You have Jim White and papers running stories about our owner texting people and keeping players because of it being a family club. All I want to see in a statement is we don't communicate with Jim White via text and more importantly what the plan is going forward. We may not have got our targets and that's fine but give us something to convince us the same mistakes won't happen again (as they have done for over a decade now).

I was actually referring specifically to the Sissoko matter when I wrote we shouldn't have said anything. Yes it was anther embarrassing event for us fans, but I think we were generally considered to be the wronged party on this occasion and it would have all blown over in a few days, especially as few of us really wanted the guy anyway.

I agree that the club should, in general, be more communicative with the fans and definitely show more transparency regarding our finances in particular. And also agree that Elstone is an absolute whopper in the way he treats our fans. He forgets there wouldn't even be an Everton if 40,000 people didn't turned up every week.

As regards the transfer window specifically, I'd prefer the club not to come out with a "warts and all" version of events. I don't think it serves any purpose and may undermine some of the players who are still at the club and expected to put a committed shift in every week. I would be happy with Koeman, during his next press conference, saying something along the lines of being disappointed at not being able to strengthen he squad as much as he'd hoped, but that the club were looking at their processes to ensure they get it right in future.

I agree with your comments on Moshiri too. They were the sort of comments you'd expect from the owners of West Ham or Palace. They were most unexpected and out of character from what we've seen from him so far. Let's hope he learns from it.

Yep I agree with all of that mate. Communication with the media needs to be kept at a minimum and we need to keep control of it as much as possible. We don't needs a "warts and all" inquest publically and should avoid talking about the minutae of deals. I wouldn't even comment on Sissoko or any other specific player for that matter, particularly if they don't play for us. It is irrelevant.

However a general statement containing the below would be helpful:
a) Disappointed not to close more deals-but they have to be right for Everton.
b) Pleased with the acquisitions we have.
c) Structure stronger now, having acquired Walsh/Koeman.
d) This will be beneficial to us going forward.
e) Money remains available for future windows, while Walsh/Koeman will benefit from having worked closely together.
f) Investment is more broad than player recruitment. We are working on a number of projects concurrently. Everything doesn't always go to plan, but the end goal remains the same, which is to give Everton the best chance of winning honours.

I don't work in PR or media and plucked that out of my backside off the top of my head. I really have no idea what Everton's PR team and CEO are playing at most of the time. It's continual small time thinking, trying to massage the problems to con fans. Rather than just coming out and putting their side of things.

I think Moshiri is guilty. But guilty only of naivity. He has made one major, glaring error since he came on-board and that is to leave fat-head Kenwright in pseudo control. I can't prove it but old 24-7 and his sidekick sun-tan Bob have done it again and totally messed-up the transfer window.

Get rid of these two fools and the world will be a brighter place. How many times have Kenwright and Elstone messed it up for us? Kings Dock, Kirkby (almost), The bloke in the bed-sit, The Kit-Bag deal. Dodgy loans from persons unknown and not forgetting the Arteta money!

Make it stop - please!

No, what he's failed to do is what I've accused him of since the first week he was announced as the new largest shareholder and de facto owner: not communicated with the most important people of all and in some depth - the fans.

And the result is this: after an underwhelming summer for many if not most this feller has lost his allure. Worse still for some - they now view him and his team with suspicion.

They may want to play their cards close to their chest, but this is a fan base that's had the piss ripped out of them for years and are in no mood to tolerate someone who just tips up and declares himself a break with the past.

LITERALLY the first thing he did when it was announced he took the shares was a) a statement through the site and b) a TV interview...

I think there was genuinely a lot of money to spend, we genuinely tried hrs to spend it, however due to a combination of incompetence, player greed, club greed and a lack of European football we were unable to spend how we expected.

I fancy come Jan we will be dipping into a loan facility and a combination of money acquired via player sales to cover new transfers (repeat that for next summer with the ROM money used for new player acquisitions.)
It seems to me that the PL money has been ring-fenced for other use and thus the NEW Everton is the OLD Everton.
i reckon Moshiri will be looking to sell up once he has the stadium build started and we will have new owners again in 2-3 yrs.

That could be the case mate. The issue with that would be why go leaking outlandish statements of what we were going to do to the press, to know people would be angry 3 months later?

There exists 3 possibilities:
a) 100 million figure leaked to press with intention of keeping to it.
b) 100 million figure leaked to press with intention of keeping it but incompetence means we can't close deals.
c) They never intended the information to get out.

I think we can discard c as it was too widespread and nothing was really done to challenge it. If A) is the case it would be seriously naïve of Moshiri to allow that to occur. My money would be on Kenwright probably letting it be known.

Either way the moral of the story is don't go promising things you can't/won't deliver. If they'd have said "we are not going to waste money, we will focus our activities in acquiring the best manager we can and bulking up our scouting network" or something along those lines it would have let people down gently.

Overall though, what we are getting at here is there is a clear lack of a coherent plan. It seems to me that people on the board are going in different directions at different speeds. It's clear Kenwright still sees himself as part of the furniture. We need some clarity. I don't expect us to spend loads on players, but if we have a limited budget we need to be aware of that and focus our spending on the areas that need it most.
All they ever needed to do when they came in was to state that transfer spending would be in line with what has gone on in the recent past and that all efforts will be focussed upon securing a suitable new home for EFC.

If they had done that ^^^^ it would have been absolutely fine for 100% of fans, and even a few hard luck stories around a break even window would have been tolerated. The fact, though, that they chose to go beyond that and promise to give "everything they had", and not correct £100m warchest stories in the media, tends to suggest that we really don't know what we have on our hands now.

It could settle down and they communicate more with fans and become more circumspect in their dealings with the media, and make rapid progress on the stadium issue; or it could be they are the next chapter in a continuing nightmare of carpetbaggers and hucksters who have got their feet under the boardroom table at the club. That's the damage they've done to themselves.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back