Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Would agree entirely that some of the criticism toward Martinez both in the final weeks/months and subsequent to his departure was/is vitriolic and below the belt in terms of personal insults.

That, from all I have heard and read, represents a very small minority of Evertonians.

He had to be let go, and it needed doing after the derby defeat, keeping him in post after that did nothing for anybody, least of all, him.

In many ways, he is a guy ahead of his time in football management. If only he could include a sense of the practical and sensible into his vision of the game, he would be up there with the best. He has not and will not.

A great guy, though, always represented us superbly well, and on a personal level, I found it impossible to dislike him. Perhaps that is his achilles heel.

I have to say that his strategic refusal to increase his shareholding beyond 50%, along with all this covert trading and withholding of information from shareholders is very concerning indeed.

Why are you concerned when he has the option to increase his shareholding to circa 75%?

At the latest any changes in the club's finances will be reported in the company accounts due to be published late November/early December, I would hope just for clarity that we might hear sooner.

Would agree entirely that some of the criticism toward Martinez both in the final weeks/months and subsequent to his departure was/is vitriolic and below the belt in terms of personal insults.

That, from all I have heard and read, represents a very small minority of Evertonians.

He had to be let go, and it needed doing after the derby defeat, keeping him in post after that did nothing for anybody, least of all, him.

In many ways, he is a guy ahead of his time in football management. If only he could include a sense of the practical and sensible into his vision of the game, he would be up there with the best. He has not and will not.

A great guy, though, always represented us superbly well, and on a personal level, I found it impossible to dislike him. Perhaps that is his achilles heel.

There is a lot in this. I think he was perfect for us after Moyes too and for a time played into all the lingering doubts that we had built up. Finances weren't essential, we were still a great club, Moyes held us back, we can win trophies by being positive, we were too defensive. A more realistic analysis was probably presented over the 3 years, not just here but at United where it was clear that what was wrong at the club when well beyond Moyes.

I wouldn't say Martinez was a spiv which is a below the belt insult you describe as I'm not sure there was any malice or ill intention but I do think he has a good skill in telling people what they want to hear and benefitting from the subsequent like towards himself. He has obviously done well through life for sharing this vision and you can see it's very attractive and will serve him well.

His biggest problem for me was he didn't think how to ensure he could see this vision through and was unwilling to compromise. I look at him now and I do think he's a little delusional in the truest sense of the word. I'm not sure he has a negative bone in his body which in any walk of life you need if you are going to be successful.

It's strange really but I think him and Moyes in combination may have worked quite well together. Martinez as a DOF and Moyes as a head coach. They'd both cover for the others weakness. Moyes would have a team well drilled, organised, fit and able to "play the percentages". While Martinez would be very good at selling the bigger vision and convincing players to join (and could spot a player). Both always looked to the long term.

In many ways Martinez was a prince in a game of thieves. I think he felt training players for set plays, or fitness was almost below him. Not being willing to compromise on that was his undoing.

There is a lot in this. I think he was perfect for us after Moyes too and for a time played into all the lingering doubts that we had built up. Finances weren't essential, we were still a great club, Moyes held us back, we can win trophies by being positive, we were too defensive. A more realistic analysis was probably presented over the 3 years, not just here but at United where it was clear that what was wrong at the club when well beyond Moyes.

I wouldn't say Martinez was a spiv which is a below the belt insult you describe as I'm not sure there was any malice or ill intention but I do think he has a good skill in telling people what they want to hear and benefitting from the subsequent like towards himself. He has obviously done well through life for sharing this vision and you can see it's very attractive and will serve him well.

His biggest problem for me was he didn't think how to ensure he could see this vision through and was unwilling to compromise. I look at him now and I do think he's a little delusional in the truest sense of the word. I'm not sure he has a negative bone in his body which in any walk of life you need if you are going to be successful.

It's strange really but I think him and Moyes in combination may have worked quite well together. Martinez as a DOF and Moyes as a head coach. They'd both cover for the others weakness. Moyes would have a team well drilled, organised, fit and able to "play the percentages". While Martinez would be very good at selling the bigger vision and convincing players to join (and could spot a player). Both always looked to the long term.

In many ways Martinez was a prince in a game of thieves. I think he felt training players for set plays, or fitness was almost below him. Not being willing to compromise on that was his undoing.

That's one way of putting it.

Another way is that he was on course to take us back 10 years with his idiotic beliefs, shocking management and disgraceful results which had the club at it's lowest point since we were nearly relegated under Moyes in 2003-04.

Your best bet is to report anything you're not keen on Dave as then you're guaranteeing it coming to our attention. For what it's worth, I think we can all manage to criticise players or officials of the club without resorting to name calling, but if we don't see it then it's hard to act.
I think most normal people hate resorting to a report. But if it's that cutting then maybe it's the only way through.

I have no idea why people indulge in it against a feller like Martinez. It's like kicking a pup up and down the road after its been thrown out. Didn't like him? He's gone. Settle down.

To read the vile bitterness of some you'd think he'd ran the club down since he left and acted in a disrespectful way when he was here. I should stress though that ^^^ is only a small minority of those who wanted Martinez gone and in no way is representative of that constituency.

Why are you concerned when he has the option to increase his shareholding to circa 75%?

At the latest any changes in the club's finances will be reported in the company accounts due to be published late November/early December, I would hope just for clarity that we might hear sooner.

Having an option means choice is involved, so he is not obligated to take up this option, that’s if the option actually exists. I am concerned about his strategic refusal to invest beyond 49.9% because it makes investment through equity impossible, and because it seems a strange move from someone who is supposedly ready to inject tens of millions into the club. Given that he cannot invest through equity, and that the gift of free money to a club that he doesn’t even own is highly unlikely, then he must be loaning us money to pay off debt. If these loans are real, and not just hearsay, then I find their covert nature and the decision to withhold important information from shareholders to be concerning. Why does it need to be covert?

Having an option means choice is involved, so he is not obligated to take up this option, that’s if the option actually exists. I am concerned about his strategic refusal to invest beyond 49.9% because it makes investment through equity impossible, and because it seems a strange move from someone who is supposedly ready to inject tens of millions into the club. Given that he cannot invest through equity, and that the gift of free money to a club that he doesn’t even own is highly unlikely, then he must be loaning us money to pay off debt. If these loans are real, and not just hearsay, then I find their covert nature and the decision to withhold important information from shareholders to be concerning. Why does it need to be covert?

From what I understand, the option he has is guaranteed to be taken up based on him/the club delivering some performance measures relating to something not disclosed.

It is the nature of Evertonians to be dissatisfied, it seems to me.
It may be the same at other clubs, I don't know.

Kenwright, Moyes, Martinez and now the first rumblings against Moshiri. A lot has happened in a short time at Everton and what has to happen next( new ground) is the biggest , most expensive and most important development at the club for over a hundred years.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back