Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Dunno where to put this or if anyone's mentioned it, but an interesting little throwaway comment from Nicky Butt in an interview today. He's talking about signing young players.

"Some kids now come up and expect thigns too soon – and get given it too soon. It's the fear factor of losing him to another club and ending up losing a £50 million player. For the sake of an extra £4,000 a week.

"At Manchester United, we can compete with anybody if we want to. You've seen with Pogba. That's the first team but we've bought a few young players who've cost us a lot of money. If we don't pay it we know City, Chelsea, or even Everton, who are really aggressive in the market, will pay it. If you get a player like Marcus, and he does what he did last year this year, he's a £50 million player straight away. It's an investment."

Be great if your initial response wasn't calling into question the character of Nicky Butt please dave.
I'd call into question his evidence for including Everton in that group of clubs. I take it he isn't saying we're in the market for the Martial's of this world?

Mail is reporting that Martinez got the full £10m due to an iron clad clause in his contract.

Fantastic negotiating from Kenwright that.

in fairness.....leaving aside annoyance with the ex boss for two seasons of mostly crap and whatever general problems people have with BK....I think the article makes the contract seem somewhat reasonable given the context at the time. At the very least I don't think its fumeworthy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Id imagine Bobbys agent milked the situation for as much as he could get and why the hell not. FA Cup win....a great season with us....must have seemed his client was on a roll that wasnt ending soon.

I'd call into question his evidence for including Everton in that group of clubs. I take it he isn't saying we're in the market for the Martial's of this world?

I don't think so. I think he's saying that we're prepared to match the top payers for young talent, under 20s. Probably more likely to be pre-Moshiri thing to be honest, targeting youngsters with potential in the hope of a big profit e.g. John Stones.

in fairness.....leaving aside annoyance with the ex boss for two seasons of mostly crap and whatever general problems people have with BK....I think the article makes the contract seem somewhat reasonable given the context at the time. At the very least I don't think its fumeworthy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Id imagine Bobbys agent milked the situation for as much as he could get and why the hell not. FA Cup win....a great season with us....must have seemed his client was on a roll that wasnt ending soon.

As the article says it was an unusual clause and is just another decision that lacks any kind of foresight from the old regime

I don't think so. I think he's saying that we're prepared to match the top payers for young talent, under 20s. Probably more likely to be pre-Moshiri thing to be honest, targeting youngsters with potential in the hope of a big profit e.g. John Stones.
I see, yeah. Yeah, defo that has been the case. I suppose bringing the kid in from Sheffield Utd, Calvert-Lewin, suggest a continuation of that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back