Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
I have no faith in any club in Jan. I firmly believe Rom is gone. I also think trying to buy a squad in one window doesn't work, see Spurs post Bale and RS post Suarez.

out if interest if Rom goes for £80m does that mean that we have to spend £130m to prove he's the real deal?
Kind of, yes.

He has to spend something or he's just literally doing what Kenwright and Moyes did unsuccessfully for a decade. Selling high, buying low.

We need £130 million investment in the squad if Rom goes. We really do! You said yourself, January doesn't work. So if we buy 80 mill and have to replace Rom...we spent, what? A bunch on a Rom replacement. Plus all the other attacking positions we need. And our defense. And probably a keeper.

Alternatively, we buy a few players and replace Rom. Finish 6th. Sell Ross. Rinse, repeat.

We need to actually buy a squad ffs. Our attacking options are horrifying. So our our central defensive options honestly (and they're aging!).

It's not like we have a big squad that can absorb it's best player leaving, replace him, add a little bit extra and we've made it.

We're miles off being able to regularly compete for and in the Champions League.

There's a difference between not buying a player because you CAN'T afford to buy him and not buying a player because you CHOOSE not to buy him.

The first is a problem for the board. The second is the fault of the management team IF the player turns out to be any good.

Some of the players we didn't sign were because of the latter. That isn't 'a lack of ambition'.

I have no faith in any club in Jan. I firmly believe Rom is gone. I also think trying to buy a squad in one window doesn't work, see Spurs post Bale and RS post Suarez.

out if interest if Rom goes for £80m does that mean that we have to spend £130m to prove he's the real deal?
The highlighted section brings us to 01 September 2018 before you'll be willing to draw any conclusions about the budget claims. That's two and a half years after Moshiri arrived to headlines of a huge summer budget.
We were supposed to be in for Koulibaly in July 2016. We've already had plenty of time to spend the £60 including 4 months to prepare for January.
This summer the Rom money could easily be swallowed by 2 realistic targets of the M Keane level. We clearly need more, far more if in EL, so yes I certainly expect to spend beyond the Rom money if it's there to spend.

Kind of, yes.

He has to spend something or he's just literally doing what Kenwright and Moyes did unsuccessfully for a decade. Selling high, buying low.

We need £130 million investment in the squad if Rom goes. We really do! You said yourself, January doesn't work. So if we buy 80 mill and have to replace Rom...we spent, what? A bunch on a Rom replacement. Plus all the other attacking positions we need. And our defense. And probably a keeper.

Alternatively, we buy a few players and replace Rom. Finish 6th. Sell Ross. Rinse, repeat.

We need to actually buy a squad ffs. Our attacking options are horrifying. So our our central defensive options honestly (and they're aging!).

It's not like we have a big squad that can absorb it's best player leaving, replace him, add a little bit extra and we've made it.

We're miles off being able to regularly compete for and in the Champions League.
Well the key will be the cost of the players we buy, I certainly don't want to be overpaying just to satisfy the net spend accountants. I want each player purchased to be as good as we can get for their position, paying a fair price. What I'd prefer is if we did our buying before selling as then the prices don't get bumped up.

Either way, I'm pretty confident in Moshiri, wevas a fan base had to endure Kenwright for 18 years, I can give Moshiri 18 months with running round panicking.

The highlighted section brings us to 01 September 2018 before you'll be willing to draw any conclusions about the budget claims. That's two and a half years after Moshiri arrived to headlines of a huge summer budget.
We were supposed to be in for Koulibaly in July 2016. We've already had plenty of time to spend the £60 including 4 months to prepare for January.
This summer the Rom money could easily be swallowed by 2 realistic targets of the M Keane level. We clearly need more, far more if in EL, so yes I certainly expect to spend beyond the Rom money if it's there to spend.
Not to sure how you've taken anything I've said and managed to get to September 18 I'm on about this next window, that's been my POV this is where he needs to spend. But if it's just the Rom money and the squad is strengthened in all the right places I'm not going to cry arse about that. I'm a fan not an accountant.

Well the key will be the cost of the players we buy, I certainly don't want to be overpaying just to satisfy the net spend accountants. I want each player purchased to be as good as we can get for their position, paying a fair price. What I'd prefer is if we did our buying before selling as then the prices don't get bumped up.

Either way, I'm pretty confident in Moshiri, wevas a fan base had to endure Kenwright for 18 years, I can give Moshiri 18 months with running round panicking.
I'm coming across as a panicker.

I agree with you that we should try and get the best deal. However, if Moshiri is truly dedicated to returning Everton to the top, there is a worry of being too cautious and too systematic.

It's not enough to get the business side well sorted. We also need to make truly class players believe in us as a place they can come and win things and compete at the highest level. That means we can't whiff on every target just because each time the price got a bit too high. It means we shouldn't be so languorous that players like Lukaku begin to think it's all a show and empty promises.

Sometimes you need to spend simply to show you can and will.

I'm coming across as a panicker.

I agree with you that we should try and get the best deal. However, if Moshiri is truly dedicated to returning Everton to the top, there is a worry of being too cautious and too systematic.

It's not enough to get the business side well sorted. We also need to make truly class players believe in us as a place they can come and win things and compete at the highest level. That means we can't whiff on every target just because each time the price got a bit too high. It means we shouldn't be so languorous that players like Lukaku begin to think it's all a show and empty promises.

Sometimes you need to spend simply to show you can and will.
Yep. But I don't think we could've attracted those players in the last two windows. After this season, with clear evidence of progress it'll be easier to attract players. There was also no point in buying middle of the road standard players as a stop gap, Koeman has proven that he could get this squad into the top 7 and now we go from here. The next signings should be of a standard that if they get us CL they will also be able to hold their own when we are in it.

Without paying extortionate wages I don't think that was possible after the Martinez disaster that I predicted.

Not to sure how you've taken anything I've said and managed to get to September 18
"I have no faith in any club in Jan. I firmly believe Rom is gone. I also think trying to buy a squad in one window doesn't work."
You believe Rom is gone and we'll pretty much only spend his fee this summer as 'trying to buy a squad in one window doesn't work'. That takes us to January 2018 but you have 'no faith in any club in Jan' which takes us to the summer 2018 window that ends on 01 september.

"I have no faith in any club in Jan. I firmly believe Rom is gone. I also think trying to buy a squad in one window doesn't work."
You believe Rom is gone and we'll pretty much only spend his fee this summer as 'trying to buy a squad in one window doesn't work'. That takes us to January 2018 but you have 'no faith in any club in Jan' which takes us to the summer 2018 window that ends on 01 september.
You're reading too much into it. We've only just found out Rom looks likely to be off, I have been saying since last summer that this Summer is the one. I'm not looking at the spend I'm looking at the squad. That may be to do with the fact I have zero knowledge on players outside of the PL so I'll leave that to the experts who will also arrange their fees.

Either way if we have a really good squad going into next season, but we've only spent £10m net, that won't bother me.

Last edited:
We are currently locked into deals with Kitbag and Chang and from the AGM we will be seeking alternative sponsorship deal. The Finch Farm is separate entity from the shirt deal, the amount of the deal over the term confirms this. The amount of the shirt and sleeve sponsorship is next to be evaluated once announced, the percentage increase has been confirmed by the club.

We have had increased media coverage which is always beneficial to growing the brand, now people may laugh at certain things that are happening but it's increased coverage. Then there's the little things like sprucing up Goodison, this is all image related.

The new ground, well we have contrasting views on this. I have a very optimistic outlook on this, through things I've been told as well as having my own dealings with certain parts of that business.

And then the debt, exactly the same setup as Chelsea and other PL clubs. The debt is owned to moshiri with no repayment date or interest, so it's a bit different to owing this to the original lender. In fact it's day and night.

Time will tell and in 12 months we'll know who is correct, I'm confident it'll be me
That's all very insubstantial stuff though isn't it?

More media exposure and cosmetic ground improvements, expectation of better commercial deals and a successful stadium conclusion. As said, it's 12 months in and it's short on substance. It's a judgement call, I suppose. You either - on the basis of what's happened so far - see enough or not enough evidence of progress to draw your conclusion as to how this will all play out.

Isn't Giabbadini the most likely one ROm w

Rom never said it was a player bid for in the summer.

"A: Obviously stuff is changing and stuff is happening, but like I said there were some players that we could have got. That I knew the club could have got and they didn’t get. And they are playing in this league. I am not saying names, but they are doing well."

My guess is it's Giabadinni. He's scoring goals at Southampton. The press thought we could have got him too. Just an educated guess though.

He's talking in the plural....so who else does he mean?

That's all very insubstantial stuff though isn't it?

More media exposure and cosmetic ground improvements, expectation of better commercial deals and a successful stadium conclusion. As said, it's 12 months in and it's short on substance. It's a judgement call, I suppose. You either - on the basis of what's happened so far - see enough or not enough evidence of progress to draw your conclusion as to how this will all play out.
come on then Dave, tell us what you would have wanted, who should Kenwright have sold to?
who should be manager?
who should we have bought?
who should we buy?
give us your plan to take Everton forward......

come on then Dave, tell us what you would have wanted, who should Kenwright have sold to?
who should be manager?
who should we have bought?
who should we buy?
give us your plan to take Everton forward......
That's be a waste of time. It is what it is now and we can only hope that we have the right owner in place.

What we can say is that the honeymoon period is over and now Moshiri will be judged on squad investment, commercial deals and stadium progress....real stadium progress.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back