Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Hypothetically speaking, we sell (without going all FIFA):
Lukaku £85m
Barkley £45m
Cleverly £7m
Niasse £10m
Jags £3m

And buy
lacazette £50m
Serbian left back free
Rooney free
Gylfi - £30m
Jose £25m
Keane £20m
Ghezzal £10m
Trippier £15m

Now I'm not saying I want these players and the values are what I've read in the papers, but that would give a zero net spend and the squad would be stronger

That would be a seriously busy transfer window Chris.

I think you're being mischievous in engineering a nil net spend squad strengthening scenario, just to wind you-know-who up ;););)

I reckon by and large you're right. But I'd say you have to be careful if you take in a huge sum for one player, as we're likely to do his summer.

If rom stayed, you'd want to see £50m net get spent on players. But if we get £75m in, not sure that means we have to do £125m, to spend equally well. No point in throwing money out the door if you can't genuinely improve the squad.

But generally I think you've got a point, and most on here will be looking closely at our summer business.
If we lose Lukaku we have to hit back very quickly with a huge signing, not only to get a great replacement in but also to make a statement to fans and the media that we're not victims and the same old plucky Everton. We need to spend all that Lukaku cash and then spend again until the squad has quality in all positions with good deputies in place.

That would be a seriously busy transfer window Chris.

I think you're being mischievous in engineering a nil net spend squad strengthening scenario, just to wind you-know-who up ;););)

Me?? Never haha. Seriously hand on heart, I'm not trying to wind Dave up. I'm just listing the players who have been linked with moves to and from with the prices quoted. Obviously I could have included people like VVD that would have increased the net spend but my point still stands.

I've never been an advocate of net spend, unless it's a case of constantly selling for £100m and investing £20m then there's an issue. But investing the full £100m there's a chance you're getting a good standard of player which naturally makes the squad stronger

Hypothetically speaking, we sell (without going all FIFA):
Lukaku £85m
Barkley £45m
Cleverly £7m
Niasse £10m
Jags £3m

And buy
lacazette £50m
Serbian left back free
Rooney free
Gylfi - £30m
Jose £25m
Keane £20m
Ghezzal £10m
Trippier £15m

Now I'm not saying I want these players and the values are what I've read in the papers, but that would give a zero net spend and the squad would be stronger
That all depends on more cash for Lukaku than most would feel possible and a fee for Barkley that no one will pay right now...and the fees for the incomings are unfeasibly low.

If we lose Lukaku we have to hit back very quickly with a huge signing, not only to get a great replacement in but also to make a statement to fans and the media that we're not victims and the same old plucky Everton. We need to spend all that Lukaku cash and then spend again until the squad has quality in all positions with good deputies in place.

Agree with the first paragraph entirely.

But if we sold Rom for 75m and replaced him with, let say, a 40-45m striker signing (no idea who, that's a different conversation). That smashes our transfer record, and no one could complain that we haven't responded positively.

But if we then spend another 60m on top, I don't think that's too bad, although the net doesn't look that staggering.

I pretty much agree with your point, but think when you get big cash in, it can skew net spend quite badly.

Absolutely.........WE ARE EVERTON !

That all depends on more cash for Lukaku than most would feel possible and a fee for Barkley that no one will pay right now...and the fees for the incomings are unfeasibly low.

Even if there's was a £30m positive spend, it's still quite low but the team would be stronger.

Now if we sold Barkley and Lukaku for those amounts and bought Rooney Gylfi and Jose for the same amounts, then yes I'd agree that net spend would be an issue

Agreed. No player with one year left on his contract is going for 45m, let alone Barkley who isn't a regular for the national team (some would suggest wrongly). I think we'd get somewhere between 25-30m for him.

*finds myself agreeing with a Davek opinion about Everton*

*needs a lie down*

I agree with this totally Dave, the only caveat is the finding a replacement. While in theory we would all like the club to go and spend the full amount, or near to, on a striker of the same quality the issue is attracting them here. For those amounts £50-£70m price bracket you're in the top top end range which means they are either playing for one of the big clubs or the same big clubs are in for them. I think this when people lose grasp on what is achievable.

But yes I agree with everything else you've said

Couldn't agree more. The momentum built up through the second half of the season will be quickly eradicated should we lose rom and Ross. I don't know about statement signings, but it is imperative we look to spend big and nail our transfer targets early. We don't want a situation whereby the club has 100m+ in the bank (from the sale of rom and Ross) and are still looking to spend it towards the end of the window. It will alert clubs to how desperate we are and of course we will most certainly have to pay over the odds to get players in so late.

Ideally Dave, we make one or two big, significant signings very early in the summer window and then maybe, hopefully both Ross and Lukaku will see that as genuine intent on behalf of the hierarchy to 'match their ambitions' of playing champions league footie in 2018/19.

IMG_1397.webp

Couldn't agree more :eek:

Ideally Dave, we make one or two big, significant signings very early in the summer window and then maybe, hopefully both Ross and Lukaku will see that as genuine intent on behalf of the hierarchy to 'match their ambitions' of playing champions league footie in 2018/19.
Think the ship has sailed with regard to lukaku. Even if we win our last 6 games and somehow miraculously got CL football, I'd still think he'd be on his way. Agree about Ross though, it we show intent early in the window, there is s good chance he might feel he can realise those champions league ambitions with us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back