Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
CASH FROM SALES
Despite being among the big spenders this season, Everton received the most income from player sales with £109.75m - primarily from Lukaku's move to Manchester United.

The Toffees also offloaded Gerard Deulofeu to Barcelona for £10.5m, Tom Cleverley to Watford for £8m and Gareth Barry switched to West Brom for £1m.

Other spendthrift clubs included Everton (£152.9m), Liverpool (£89.5m) and Tottenham (£61.4m).

BURNLEY NET SPEND: -£15.2MILLION

152.9 - 109.75 = net spend 43.15 mil....... Barkley £35 mil but changed his mind last minute at the medical in London, as per Jim White+ Mosh = 8.15 mil net, if Barkley had left as Moshiri clearly wanted him to ......

23.35 million higher spend than Burnley apologies Steve for my earlier mistake quoting 15 million ...............

The annual wage bill has increased dramatically which is usually a better indicator of league position than net spend with clubs like Spurs and Chelsea actually now breaking even in some windows. This is down to Moshiri even if the success hit hasn't followed as of yet.

A loan non the less. He also has an option to buy the remaining shares but has chosen not to. I never claimed to know the financial infrastructure
and complexity of the clubs accounts, that was you...... I merely offered an opinion that seems to have upset you somewhat

Not sure why I'm bothering to respond to this as it's clear you've formed your opinion based on what you believe to be true...

....but - as I understand it, there is an agreement in place with Kenwright that Moshiri can take the remaining shares as and when the stadium is sorted.

I could be wrong about that, but I've certainly heard that mentioned several times.
Almost like a form of insurance for the club - to prevent the asset stripping which you believe has happened but absolutely hasn't.

You can't accuse someone of asset stripping the club when the factual evidence i.e. the accounts shows that's simply not the case.

"It's my opinion" means jack, as all you've done is throw out an unsubstantiated accusation that has no basis in fact whatsoever.

It used to wind me up when people who didn't have a scoob about how businesses work used to throw the same accusation at Kenwright, who for all his many faults didn't take a bean out of the club when he was the majority shareholder.

I apologised for using this terminology earlier in the thread, and admitted that perhaps it may have been wrong to do so.

It is a judgement call. But as I have said for months, the stadium is lift off for LCC/Liverpool Waters. Hence the ridiculously low repayment deal on the SPV thing. (That wont fund the whole thing anyrate, but it will give other players confidence to lob some eggs in the cake).

Then there is debt, and debt. Debt for EFC in our current situation, (Koeman/league all that notwithstanding), is a bad thing. He has effectively removed that from the balance sheet.

Debt with long term, "cheap" repayment vehicle, but with a sparkling iconic ground underpinning it, is way better.

Not perfect granted, but better.

I read months ago that if Everton have the proper amount of corporate boxes then the profit from these alone would pay for the loan
I’ve been in one at Croke park and it’s a totally different experience to my ordinary match day experience but they cost is frightening.
My company had / has one at Croke Park and is used for corporate entertainment.
The stadium is used for a variety of events
Union meetings
Small one day conferences
Weddings
Private parties.
Concerts ( restriction on number of times per year due to noise )
American football ( college games ) always sell out
A lot of money to be made from the stadium if it’s marketed right

The key missing word is... Yet.
Think you may find that his option on additional share acquisition will happen once planning permission etc has been granted for BMD.

I think this is really the key phase re Moshiri. It sounds like a cop out but I think it's very difficult to make a concrete judgement on his vision of Everton until the second phase is initiated. I can only imagine what we currently have now is the initial transitional period, perhaps at the insistence of Bill Kenwright et al before we can move forward. You would imagine phase 2 would be Moshiri buying Everton out and with that another change of composition on the board. How many further phases occur, additional partners etc is up in the air. Indeed what Everton looks like after that is up in the air, it may look quite similar to the current Everton or radically different but I think we can only have a concrete judgement once that happens.

What I will say though are two things to balance this. Firstly I don't think Moshiri is doing enough within the transitional phase to put pressure on the current staff running Everton. He elected to move Elstone onto the board while Bexendale and Harris have also came on. I don't think any of them are of the right standard, or in truth are the right sort of people who will move Everton in the direction we want to go. He could have easily put another 2/3 equivalents of the the Russian guy (who's name I can never spell) onto the board. I think this would have led to a very different approach at board level in the transition period. There seems to be an acceptance on his part that we have to accept the mediocre last two summers business, which worries me.

Secondly I don't think we can say with 100% certainty phase 2 comes anymore. I think it will and it would be logical to. Moshiri would be a complete idiot to invest money and allow Kenwright and Elstone to remain in control. You don't know though, 2 months ago I'd have said that was impossible but then I'd also have said him coming out and saying us losing games at home or against sides like Atalanta would have been impossible.

I think the club needs to be strategic. I popped on twitter the other day they should consider getting David Gill. That would be my starting point if I was Moshiri if phase 2 happens. Look to attract the best people from within the industry. The best paid CEO two years ago earned 2 million a year. Offer him 5 million a year, and a bonus of 5 million for every year he grows turnover none broadcast revenues by 30% (with a minimum increase of 15 million pounds). It might not work, he may be happy in his retirement, but 5 million a year basic will likely interest anyone.

Alternatively look to the private sector. Find any CEO who has shown they can go businesses over a 4-5 year period at 25% at through 5 million a year at them. Even for big firms this is a huge sum of money but in football it's the wages of Kevin Mirallas and Mo Besic. Frankly David Gill would make a bigger impact for Everton.

This is what I want to see more of from Farhad.

The club lack vision and ambition and even if that wasn't the case, then there is a complete lack of the skills needed to follow through on any ambition in any case.

Even when we do spend money it seems to be on completely the wrong players. I can't understand how Moshiri hasn't binned off Walsh for the shambolic signings we've made. He's done footballing supermarket sweep.

Can anyone state with absolute certainty the players that Walsh recommended we sign and we actually signed them ?
Can anybody name the players the Walsh recommended we sign and was overruled by Koeman ?
Can anybody state with certainty all the players that Koeman signed and Walsh was in agreement?
Can anyone name the players that Koeman signed and Walsh was not in favour of.
I could hazard s guess at each category but couldn’t be sure.
So how can we blame Walsh. ?
Manager should in my opinion have final say in first team squad signings so he carries the can

I read months ago that if Everton have the proper amount of corporate boxes then the profit from these alone would pay for the loan
I’ve been in one at Croke park and it’s a totally different experience to my ordinary match day experience but they cost is frightening.
My company had / has one at Croke Park and is used for corporate entertainment.
The stadium is used for a variety of events
Union meetings
Small one day conferences
Weddings
Private parties.
Concerts ( restriction on number of times per year due to noise )
American football ( college games ) always sell out
A lot of money to be made from the stadium if it’s marketed right

Thats how i seen it at the time mate.

If done correctly and we maximise on Sponsorship Opportunities and the fact it'll be one of the biggest Arenas in the City, money made from stuff like this plus increased matchday revenue would cover the annual cost of the Stadium, which is exactly what we want.

I think the club needs to be strategic. I popped on twitter the other day they should consider getting David Gill. That would be my starting point if I was Moshiri if phase 2 happens. Look to attract the best people from within the industry. The best paid CEO two years ago earned 2 million a year. Offer him 5 million a year, and a bonus of 5 million for every year he grows turnover none broadcast revenues by 30% (with a minimum increase of 15 million pounds). It might not work, he may be happy in his retirement, but 5 million a year basic will likely interest anyone.

Alternatively look to the private sector. Find any CEO who has shown they can go businesses over a 4-5 year period at 25% at through 5 million a year at them. Even for big firms this is a huge sum of money but in football it's the wages of Kevin Mirallas and Mo Besic. Frankly David Gill would make a bigger impact for Everton.

This is what I want to see more of from Farhad.
I think that's a great point, mate. We tried in another era to do this when we hired Trevor Birch but the club was in a complete mess and facing civil war in the boardroom.

If Moshiri now were at all serious about putting this club on a professional footing he'd dispense with hiring no marks and retaining flops and go right to an industry big hitter.

The interest free loan

No offence mate but your posts on the matter indicate that you haven’t got a clue

None taken. My opinion is different to yours that is all. My original post questioned the investment, I apologised for using the term `asset stripping`
however do question the overall investment. I have provided evidence that if Barkley had left as planned and admitted by our owner, then our investment would have been a pittance in my opinion. Also the Lukaku sale was `sell to buy` asset stripping ? perhaps a little harsh on the guy as the cash was reinvested in lesser quality players, increased wages etc, but sell to buy non the less.

The `club accountants` on this thread have had their say about all things financial however fail to qualify their own statements whilst requesting
that I should with mine, when I freely admit that I have not seen the accounts and due to the complexity of any premier league club in foreign ownership doubt it would make any difference anyway. For instance do the accounts show the add ons for Lukaku performance related bonuses in this tax year or the next? Was it 75 with add ons or 90 ? Did we finance the deal in the first place with payments over 2 or 3 years for tax reasons?
I have no idea, and neither do you. However I admit to forming an opinion with the limited information to hand similar to everyone else outside of the clubs boardroom ..... no offence but you are equally as clueless ..............

having a new owner is all about moving the club forward ON and OFF the pitch.

alltho its early doors on the pitch this season, any season ticket holder will be able to inform you that we have regressed (massively) on the pitch. Whether Koeman can turn this round is yet to be seen, but from where I sit, the form is irreversible. Not exactly where I expected us to be, after a pre-season of such hope. I can see us weathering this storm, but we are going to have another couple seasons of transition under a new manager, over the next year or so.

regards the transfer kitty, we have continued in the same vein as we always have, sell to buy, but this time round, we have been in a positive net spend, with the likes of west brom, huddersfield, burnley, crystal palace etc, who have all benefitted from the huge TV revenues. We have spent, as always, slightly more than our nearest rivals, but nowhere near the amount the top 3/4 have spent.

OFF the pitch all we can officially go on, are the nonsensical statements that have been released to our new media outlet jim white, and some hearsay and rumours regards our new stadium. There is NOTHING concrete (literally) regards any stadium plans or even funding. It all seems to be moving on very slowly. I for one can not understand why we aren't having monthly/8 weekly updates via the club website. It wouldn't be hard for the club to blog the events of the project, unless of course the project is only really a pipe dream.

things at Everton are oh so ever confusing. New owner, same old Everton (almost as if we are still being run by the former regime,hhhmmmmm??)

wouldn't happen at any other club. the smoke and mirrors continue.

Last edited:
None taken. My opinion is different to yours that is all. My original post questioned the investment, I apologised for using the term `asset stripping`
however do question the overall investment. I have provided evidence that if Barkley had left as planned and admitted by our owner, then our investment would have been a pittance in my opinion. Also the Lukaku sale was `sell to buy` asset stripping ? perhaps a little harsh on the guy as the cash was reinvested in lesser quality players, increased wages etc, but sell to buy non the less.

The `club accountants` on this thread have had their say about all things financial however fail to qualify their own statements whilst requesting
that I should with mine, when I freely admit that I have not seen the accounts and due to the complexity of any premier league club in foreign ownership doubt it would make any difference anyway. For instance do the accounts show the add ons for Lukaku performance related bonuses in this tax year or the next? Was it 75 with add ons or 90 ? Did we finance the deal in the first place with payments over 2 or 3 years for tax reasons?
I have no idea, and neither do you. However I admit to forming an opinion with the limited information to hand similar to everyone else outside of the clubs boardroom ..... no offence but you are equally as clueless ..............

However I admit to forming an opinion with the limited information to hand similar to everyone else outside of the clubs boardroom ..... no offence but you are equally as clueless

No you aren't forming your opinion on the same info as everyone else because as you are demonstrating post after post that you don't understand nor are you even attempting to.

when I freely admit that I have not seen the accounts and due to the complexity of any premier league club in foreign ownership doubt it would make any difference anyway.

Who owns our club that is Foreign? Why would foreign ownership make a difference as to what our accounts can or can't show? What company owns Everton? Where are they based? This is all readily available information that you cant be bothered to look up

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back