Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Let's face it: panic set in over whether Moshiri could get Koeman and he caved in and doubled the wages. Same panic happened over Allardyce...and goodness knows what he's getting and will get in a severance package. I bet Sam's got him done up like a kipper.
No doubt Koeman got a great deal, but so did Martinez... as I said it is the industry they work in.

..it just shows that money isn’t everything, he got the key managerial appointment of Koeman very wrong and he got the key DoF appointment even wronger. He might argue that the Allardyce appointment served its purpose.

I think he’s done fine in freeing up transfer spend. Let’s not forget we had a hand to mouth existence, but if you get your key appointments wrong you end up throwing millions away and going backwards on the pitch.

I’ve not been impressed with some of his public utterings. I’d prefer him to be classy and keep his own counsel.

..it just shows that money isn’t everything, he got the key managerial appointment of Koeman very wrong and he got the key DoF appointment even wronger. He might argue that the Allardyce appointment served its purpose.

I think he’s done fine in freeing up transfer spend. Let’s not forget we had a hand to mouth existence, but if you get your key appointments wrong you end up throwing millions away and going backwards on the pitch.

I’ve not been impressed with some of his public utterings. I’d prefer him to be classy and keep his own counsel.
Reference your last sentence, how cringeworthy were his words on the transfer deadline day at the season's beginning.

I strongly disagree with regards to Koeman appointment.

At the time? It was the best appointment we could have realistically made and one most of us were purring over.

The thing is, the club has to protect itself here and 1 of the ways it does that is make sure theres no break clauses.

The club had to make the deal and plan for Koeman being a success, in order to add a break clause it would have left itself open for him leaving after a successful season. In the clubs ideal world Koeman would have got us 4th in his 2nd season then we would have had Barca and Arsenal coming in and getting him away from us, with the way they contract was they would have had to pay us 6m compo.

As it was, he fell so fast and so quickly that we were forced to sack him before he had even completed 18months of his very hefty contract.

Its unlikely Koeman would have signed a 1 sided contract which allowed us to sack him when we wanted without any cost, so as I mention above, that leaves a break clause which wasnt in our best interests.

I think thats a fair assessment overall. Koeman was only on a short term deal really.

I also think that we have acted a little rashly over the first 2 years. Probably tried to push things too quickly. We felt the name of Koeman could elevate us re signings and we couldn't. We gave him too much power, didn't allow Walsh to have enough influence.

I also believe we sacked him too soon. We should have waited until we got a replacement, and failing to do that, stuck with it. 10 bad games shouldn't be enough to throw a fella out if you haven't got a second plan in place.

At the time? It was the best appointment we could have realistically made and one most of us were purring over.
Nope, it was a properly meh appointment all round to be honest. Hopeful optimism but thats it. If anything, it was bullying Southampton which anyone really loved.

..but the appointment was a significant failure. It doesn’t matter what folk think, all that matters is he gets it right and he didn’t. I’m not for one minute saying such appointments are easy, but hiring Koeman has set us back and cost us millions from a playing perspective.

Did you not think he handled that one well Eggs? I enjoyed seeing him put that fella in his place, showed his nastier streak.

..no, I didn’t. I thought he shouldn’t have got drawn into a response but it was an insight into his character. I probably have it wrong, the bloke is a foreign businessman and has a different outlook.

Last edited:
..but the appointment was a significant failure. It doesn’t matter what folk think, all that matters is he gets it right and he didn’t. I’m not for one minute saying such appointments are easy, but hiring Koeman has set us back and cost us millions from a playing perspective.

Every management appointment since Joe Royle could be seen as failure as despite the set back playing wise, we’re in no better or worse position where it matters, trophies.

Every management appointment since Joe Royle could be seen as failure as despite the set back playing wise, we’re in no better or worse position where it matters, trophies.

..I disagree with that although I appreciate the reasoning. For many years we were in a virtual hand to mouth situation where keeping the status quo was almost an achievement, although I appreciate worst teams than ours were able to win the FA and League cups. Buying the likes of Cahill and Arteta for little or no money helped us at least maintain our status when we could easily have gone the way of other once great clubs.

Now we appear in a healthier financial position but have wasted lots on new players.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back