Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
..absolutely. It’s why I always say I haven’t got a clue about who we should get. Ultimately, though, it’s Moshiri’s job to get these appointments right and I do think there’s some competency criteria he can employ: a record of building a team as opposed to inheriting one; a good record in the transfer market; a record of improving players performance; tactical awareness, including the management and deployment of an effective playing strategy.

They’re boxes to be ticked, it’s just a matter of finding the right men.

Fully agree. Dont think his experience at Arsenal would have helped as everything was stable and there was never a cause to choose a new manager. I think he went for safety option, ie the highest rated manager that we could have got at the time, who had PL experience and 2 very good seasons on a limited budget.

But as you say, these are the decisions he has to get right and I think a bit more thought will go into the next appointments.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though isnt it. At the time both were very highly regarded and most people were impressed. Nobody could have predicted how that would turn out. They were not bad decisions by Moshiri, just didnt work out.

Hopefully the next pairing is more successful.
That's a contradiction in terms.

It's his job - by hook or by crook (either by hiring a CEO or by his own judgement) - to get those appointments spot on.

He didn't and we now know for sure he is a dilettante and completely out of his depth in the football industry. We are so far down a hole with this feller in control it's frightening. That so many still believe after two years of his ridiculous decision making that he is still credible in some way or capable of getting this right "if Bill and Bob are out of the way" is more frightening still.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though isnt it. At the time both were very highly regarded and most people were impressed. Nobody could have predicted how that would turn out. They were not bad decisions by Moshiri, just didnt work out.

Hopefully the next pairing is more successful.

Good points.

I think Walsh and Koeman were both considered as punts to some extent. Walsh because he'd made some signings for Leicester which had come good (but he was not necessarily qualified for the DOF role) and Koeman because he has a very unbalanced history of doing well with some clubs (Southampton) and disastrous with others (Valencia).

The punts didn't work out which is obviously extremely disappointing and like anything in football, someone is accountable when things don't go right and the buck does have to stop with Moshiri.

That's a contradiction in terms.

It's his job - by hook or by crook (either by hiring a CEO or by his own judgement) - to get those appointments spot on.

He didn't and we now know for sure he is a dilettante and completely out of his depth in the football industry. We are so far down a hole with this feller in control it's frightening. That so many still believe after two years of his ridiculous decision making that he is still credible in some way or capable of getting this right "if Bill and Bob are out of the way" is more frightening still.

Of course its his job but everyone makes bad decisions. Liverpool hired Hodgson and Comolli, Man U signed Moyes, Spurs went through about 6 managers before Pochettino and thats just manager situation.

Its his first 2 years!

Of course its his job but everyone makes bad decisions. Liverpool hired Hodgson and Comolli, Man U signed Moyes, Spurs went through about 6 managers before Pochettino and thats just manager situation.

Its his first 2 years!
The same hierarchy at those clubs fixed those horrendous decisions. Do you have any faith whatsoever that this gormless tit can do the same here?

The same hierarchy at those clubs fixed those horrendous decisions. Do you have any faith whatsoever that this gormless tit can do the same here?

The point is im sure thats what Moshiri is doing. If he gets it wrong again then its time to take a serious look at him but he needs to be given the chance to fix it.

Well apart from Liverpool who's owners had to sell the club before they went into administration and fsg got rid of everyone from the old regime. Or spurs who got rid of their technical director after they spunked all the bale money and had to sack avb.

But hey ho there only facts aren't they

..he got the Koeman and Walsh appointments very wrong. I think that’s the root of our on-field trouble. The period immediately following the sacking of Koeman was a debacle and must have left him scarred. Ultimately, he might say Allardyce has worked out fine but the true test is him finding the right manager/DoF combination. I think that’s a very difficult challenge but that’s what he has to do, it might involve luck as well as judgement.
Didn't think the koeman appointment was a bad decision he had built va good we'll balanced attacking side and did well in his first season and I never thought things would unravel the way it did .The summer recruitment was a disaster and without knowing the whole story there seemed to have been to many having an input as to which players to buy and losing sight of what players would fit in the managers system

The point is im sure thats what Moshiri is doing. If he gets it wrong again then its time to take a serious look at him but he needs to be given the chance to fix it.

How many times does he keep getting it wrong before we start to get concerned though mate?

Kept Kenwright on- Wrong
Kept Elstone on- Wrong
Hired Koeman- Wrong
Went after Silva- Wrong
Hired Walsh- Wrong
Hired Allardyce- wrong
Kept Allardyce on?- Massively wrong.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back