Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
...undisclosed fees and loan deals with a sale in mind next summer. They should just about cover what we've seen spent so far.

So you accept (I guess) from your somewhat unclear response , that you admit you were wrong , and there indeed is another net spend this window.
I won't hold my breath though mate.

Hold on Dave.

Just want to check.

Have you actually just introduced your new defense in ready for the possibility of us making a decent net spend this summer? Are you really going to try stretch to include fees we pocket for players we sell next summer?

This is very audacious and I wish you the best of luck.
It's just looking at the situation on balance. We've seen Mori and Klaassen have gone for circa £22M. The loans of Mirallas, Williams, Onyekuru will eventually see fees circa £15M-£20M. We may well yet see another departure. My belief we'd see a negative net spend looks wrong at this stage and probably will be at the end of the window. However, I dont think the net spend will be large when taking fees for players out / loaned and eventually bought are subtracted. The net spend will be in line with a midtable PL club.

It's just looking at the situation on balance. We've seen Mori and Klaassen have gone for circa £22M. The loans of Mirallas, Williams, Onyekuru will eventually see fees circa £15M-£20M. We may well yet see another departure. My belief we'd see a negative net spend looks wrong at this stage and probably will be at the end of the window. However, I dont think the net spend will be large when taking fees for players out / loaned and eventually bought are subtracted. The net spend will be in line with a midtable PL club.

Mirallas and Williams are in their last year's of contract.

Yes, but see above for expansion on that point.

giphy.gif

BUSTED
FLUSH

Oh don't worry Dave, I didn't need a breakdown. I love it.

Please roll it out across the forum on Friday!

All said to the sound of furious backpedaling.

If you think that we are spending like a midtable team mate , you are seriously deluded..
The dross that we are getting rid of has cost us a small fortune.
Give it up lad !

As said, I probably have it wrong on this one occasion. Let's see what happens though if Courtois leaves Chelsea and they come in for Pickford.

The window closes on Thursday with our first game on Saturday. Hardly the start to the season Silva would be wanting if we sell our Goalkeeper who happens to be one of our most important players without having time to get a suitable replacement in.

Given how long we kept hold of Stones and Lukaku when clubs like Chelsea were after them, how likely is it that we will sell Pickford before the window shuts in the event that Courtious leaves Chelsea?

The window closes on Thursday with our first game on Saturday. Hardly the start to the season Silva would be wanting if we sell our Goalkeeper who happens to be one of our most important players without having time to get a suitable replacement in.

Given how long we kept hold of Stones and Lukaku when clubs like Chelsea were after them, how likely is it that we will sell Pickford before the window shuts in the event that Courtious leaves Chelsea?

Id put a lot of money on him not going anywhere this sunmer

If we're to spend another £45-55m on the centre backs alone (Mina and Rojo, let's say), which looks very possible, our net spend will be approaching £100m. It sounds from Silva's interview like we won't stop there either.

I'm assuming a lot here, but it'd be full marks to Moshiri on backing his staff and showing ambition. It'd be exactly the kind of money we need to be spending to seriously challenge the top 6 (and then some). It's still important he's hired the right two in Brands and Silva, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

If we're to spend another £45-55m on the centre backs alone (Mina and Rojo, let's say), which looks very possible, our net spend will be approaching £100m. It sounds from Silva's interview like we won't stop there either.

I'm assuming a lot here, but it'd be full marks to Moshiri on backing his staff and showing ambition. It'd be exactly the kind of money we need to be spending to seriously challenge the top 6 (and then some). It's still important he's hired the right two in Brands and Silva, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.
Sometimes you don'get things right first time. He's got the guys he wanted now and is backing them.

All said to the sound of furious backpedaling.
Nope. Let's see what happens first. The window hasn't shut.

The shifting out of all these players will eventually add up to the bulk of what's been spent this summer. My "backpeddling" (such as it is) is in reference only to my stating at the beginning of the window that we'd see a negative net spend of between £5M-£15M....which, unless Pickford leaves, is unlikely now.

If I'm wrong it wont be by much in the context of what's gone on before - spending wise over the last 2/3 windows. There is definitley a streamlining going on. We are in a post-spendthrift era now.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back