Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
What really unsettles me mate, is that is our wage bill, for our squad of players. It’s the highest in the clubs history, for one of our worst ever squads in one of our worst ever positions.

All of this with no sign at all that lessons are being learnt. That last window, more of the same unhinged thinking.

Two full backs who aren't ready, a loan signing in a position we didn't (which reeks of greasing the wheels for Villa to get the Digne deal done) and whatever Dele Ali is supposed to be he's not exactly cut out for a relegation fight.

All of this with no sign at all that lessons are being learnt. That last window, more of the same unhinged thinking.

Two full backs who aren't ready, a loan signing in a position we didn't (which reeks of greasing the wheels for Villa to get the Digne deal done) and whatever Dele Ali is supposed to be he's not exactly cut out for a relegation fight.

I think that’s an excellent point mate and something I’ve given thought to of late.

The financial well-being of the club, has been largely down to poor decision making all be it, we at one stage had the means to bet big. We made poor, poor decisions.

Now we have clear financial limits and constraints, what makes us think we will make better decisions under more pressure and stricter limits - it’s likely we won’t. But like a novice problamatic gambler, we could be chasing the win, betting smaller but still making those poor choices.

Certainly this season has been chaotic and bereft of the one thing we needed consistency and sustainability in approach - it’s been anything but and look where we are.

We’re like a gambler trying to chase our losses and bad luck by betting more, waiting for the luck to change - that’s how it feels to me.

Absolutely agree, the Ali and El Ghazi deals felt like spins of a roulette wheel.

It all smacks of a man who will get one right and then beat his chest while ignoring the ninety-nine he got wrong.

There are players in both, but they are the wrong fit for what we needed at present. We had a big gaping hole at 10 after Sigurdsson and Jamo. Somehow, someone though Allinwas the answer, he’s more a Cahill, then an Arteta, Cahill without the nusance factor.

El Ghazi is just bizarre, not a bad player, but he was never going to be a key turner in a relegation war, the analogy of chasing our losses is apt. You could say the same thing about managers.

Given our position at the time and only appointing a manager on the last day of January - It was arguably our worst transfer window ever.

Shouldn't have fired Silva

Shouldn't have fired Alladyce in all honestly.

Had us 8th with a starting 11 worse than what we have now.

Would have stabilised the club for a few years imo but as usual many fans kicked and screamed and wanted their pound of flesh and pushed the owner into booting him under the aspirations of a "young, progressive" manager.

You could say the same thing about managers.

I would love someone to explain how that last selection process a) was so long in the making, b) so slowly and poorly executed and c) how we arrived at the names on the shortlist.

They all look like desperate rolls of the dice to me and the man doesn't seem prepared to admit mistakes by actually trusting someone else to run the recruitment side.

Would have stabilised the club for a few years imo but as usual many fans kicked and screamed and wanted their pound of flesh and pushed the owner into booting him under the aspirations of a "young, progressive" manager.

I hated Alladyce, but that firing looks more and more like hubris as time goes on.

"The starkest aspect, though, is the reliance on Farhad Moshiri's involvement. He is absolutely crucial to financial health"

Sticky Bandits: "MOSHIRI OOT!!!!!!"

oh wait :oops:
He is loyal and his heart is the right place, I’ll give him that but is completely inept as football club owner!!

Results on and off the pitch have been utterly diabolical under his leadership and it has and will cripple us for seasons to come. We have a billionaire owner and are somehow in an even worse state than before.

He has to take accountability! The club is an absolute shambles and to blame any of this travesty on FFP or VAR is either delusional at the highest level or straight up trolling.

Bit of sense in that mate.

I said at the time, we needed stability, hard to believe what happened since the chaos actually got worse.

The fella signed Tosun for £28m on £80k a week wages.

He signed Walcott to £110k a week and paid £20m for the privilege.

He steadied the ship, but to suggest he would have “stabilised” is just wrong.

Allardyce has a habit of causing a right mess and leaving before he has to deal with it (see Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham). High Wages, short term fixes and a ridiculously high wage bill.

Did a good job, but we weren’t even in crisis, being fair. Silva should have stayed, but he struggled massively after the derby loss… was the best football I’d seen us play prior to that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back