Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,289 92.3%

• Total voters
I can't disagree with you that everything has been speculation thus far, but I also think the most logical time to make the sort of statements about long term vision and goals should be after the season. I would imagine one of the long term decisions would be the manager. I would also imagine that he is evaluating him until the end of the season.

I'm not saying he's not going to be extremly positive for us, all I'm saying is I'm cautious because we really don't have much to go on. There is much apart from the footballing side of things, in fact in many ways the footballing side is irrelevant, that can be commented on, objectives in terms of infrastructure, ground development, commercial revenue, merchandise, sponsorship, funding modelsetc. like I say I'm not looking for time lines or the intimate workings of a business plan, just broad objectives in terms of short and long term objectives and philosphey.

Not really.

Unlike Randy Lerner ...

Mr Moshiri has been a previous investor in football club(s) and importantly has gone on public record in relation to some of his views on how to run a football club and importantly how to finance stadium developments.

Unlike other unknown or inexperienced investors - Mr Moshiri has significant experience and these public statements (the 2012 one in particular) give a good indication of what he will try and do at EFC.

I do think however, he will be public in due course on the matter.

But the context is different, red and white holdings had no board seat, it was much a game of politics as it was a mission statement, they basically told the fans what they wanted to hear and while the words are soothing from a media perspective, I liken it to an opposition party running for election - promising the world but then when they get into power realise there is a real bottom line and balsnce.

I'm not damning the man I'm just cautious in the sense, we are excited and doe hoatzin in grounds and tranfers are rife when in actual fact, nothing is known yet.

Which is why I prefer to wait until the accounts, we can all cream ourselves over spending 150 mill in the summer as had been reported, but then if we take on 80 mill in debt to it or owe to Moshiri long term - well that it great is it. I'm not saying that will be te case. But we don't know that it's not either.

I'm not saying he's not going to be extremly positive for us, all I'm saying is I'm cautious because we really don't have much to go on. There is much apart from the footballing side of things, in fact in many ways the footballing side is irrelevant, that can be commented on, objectives in terms of infrastructure, ground development, commercial revenue, merchandise, sponsorship, funding modelsetc. like I say I'm not looking for time lines or the intimate workings of a business plan, just broad objectives in terms of short and long term objectives and philosphey.

There is no need to fear the unknown. I am sure you will get the answers you seek in the near future.

But the context is different, red and white holdings had no board seat, it was much a game of politics as it was a mission statement, they basically told the fans what they wanted to hear and while the words are soothing from a media perspective, I liken it to an opposition party running for election - promising the world but then when they get into power realise there is a real bottom line and balsnce.

I'm not damning the man I'm just cautious in the sense, we are excited and doe hoatzin in grounds and tranfers are rife when in actual fact, nothing is known yet.

Which is why I prefer to wait until the accounts, we can all cream ourselves over spending 150 mill in the summer as had been reported, but then if we take on 80 mill in debt to it or owe to Moshiri long term - well that it great is it. I'm not saying that will be te case. But we don't know that it's not either.

It was a case of them asking and then demanding a board seat.

Now Mr Moshiri has one - I don't think we will see any major difference to his 'mission statement'.

I don't for one second think we will spend £150million in the summer on players.

Since FFP means we via him - can only write off £30 million every three years (via a debt-equity swap).

I think what it means is we can sign one or two good signings - every summer.

Guaranteed.

Plus infrastructure spending is unlimited. Which is where the majority of his investment will go.

I also think based on his 2012 open letter he won't put debt on the club. He will seek to build infrastructure (stadia etc) increase his share value - then recoup with equity sales to additional investors whilst retaining major stakeholder status.

He's not going to say this right now. As that basically is telling everyone what he is going to do in detail. I'm just saying this as that matches his modus operandi

He's certainly no Randy Lerner!

Someone who knows what he's doing here.

Last edited:

@davek ... I know you want him to be involved day to day mate and you want certain board members to be booted out.
But that has NEVER been Moshiri's style.
It's not going to happen. Moshiri also isn't going to be making public statements when there is no real need to.
He's not an EFC board member and as such really shouldnt be doing that anyway as @The Esk will confirm. Both legally and from a EFC business perspective.
When Moshiri has something he needs to say. He will say it.

There really is no panic as his right hand man (now on the EFC board) is on the case.
Maybe the Russian he's using as his proxy will be preparing a statement.

Let's put it this way, if the summer break comes and goes without a major series of announcements and the transfer window looks pretty much like sell to buy then I'd begin to wonder whether what we have on our hands looks that different to what went before.

Since FFP means we via him - can only write off £30 million every three years.

€30 million not £30 million. However given that (i) the P&L account will be cash generative and positive and (ii) how football clubs treat player acquisitions by spreading the cost of a player acquisition over the length of the contract, whilst booking all revenues in 1 year on a player sale, we will (assuming capital is available) be able to spend heavily on player acquisitions over the next 2 or 3 years particularly if we sell a John Stones every couple of years., should we need to do so.

Have to agree with this 100%.

Everything else is speculation and we are getting way ahead of our selves. transfers, stadiums, I havnt heard anything concrete on that these are strategic objectives. I also don't count a half pissed interview with Bill as a statement of intent.

I'm not asking for blue prints, targets or even timelines just a philosphey and objectives on how he wants to develop the club long term,
Exactly. I know it comes across like "you've been here a month now...where's the stadium?!?!" but that's not the question being asked. I find it pretty ignorant that this feller hasn't had the urgency to get some sort of interview done on his involvement. An interview would just allow us to see what vision he has. No detail required, just the ambitions and a plan of action to move us on.

Let's put it this way, if the summer break comes and goes without a major series of announcements and the transfer window looks pretty much like sell to buy then I'd begin to wonder whether what we have on our hands looks that different to what went before.

I think this is a fair comment. I do believe however that the position will be made very much clearer at the end of this season.

I doubt we will spend much of the summer without a much clearer idea of our future and further changes to the ownership structure of the club.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back