Status
Not open for further replies.
4231 would be my pick given what we have:

Pickford
Coleman Tarks Branthwaite Mykolenko
Garner Onana
Danjuma Dele McNeil
Beto

McNeil can drop in to make a 4321 when needed (which would be most of the time). And yes, I'd give Dele a go once fit. 50% Dele is better than what we have.
We won't see Dele play for us as he's a little crap now and we can't afford to play him.

I would like to see james garner as the deepest midfielder in front of the back four with onana and gueye in front of him. Both onana and gueye arent disciplined enough to play that role. I would like to see a player on both wings in front of our fullbacks as well. Especially down our right side. We nearly have a fully fit squad and dyche does have options. I would like to see him use them instead of like for like subs all the time.

Onana is still very much in the early stages of development at top level.
It was good to see him be patient, patrolling the lines, guarding the avenues of potential key passes.
The more he concentrates on this the more he's going to learn to see and read the game, and learn to know when to let loose his skills and physical attributes.

Early days though.
Couple of really poor passes.
While he's not fully to blame for the goal you'd think with experience he'd do better and prevent the cut back - he leaves marking the goalscorer to go to the ball carrier, he needs to guard that line, the only way to do that is to ensure the ball carrier goes the endline and set for the block, believe in yourself trust those behind.
Ideally you cut out both options, he offered him both
He doesn't move in quickly enough, not decisive and it's too easy.
Tarks should have given him the call once Tarks passed the goalscorer to cover the endline. Maybe he did.
But Onana is still yhe one that left, to go to, he takes that on with of without the call.
Point of all this rambling, its going to take time.
Maybe Idrissa is better for him in being further up and away from him. His developing vision has less interference from gogo Gana.
If this is what Dyche was thinking then why the he'll did he not play Garner for either Gana or Doucoure?
If he doesn't get this midfield sorted so the team can play to score as well as defend, within reasonable time frame then he's got to go.

Last edited:
Now that Onana has picked up a little consistency, let us turn our attention to Garner who has been 'shunted' to the right.
Why does Dyche persist with him despite 3 wide players becoming available? I have a theory (slightly elaborated elsewhere), but why does he use it when the opposition has three defenders in their formation?

The MO for Dyche has to now be 4-4-1-1 creating a fluid 4-1-3-1-1 movement with a narrow setup where play is worked through the middle. The three ahead of the holding midfielder are other midfielders capable of interchanging and the second striker/attacking midfielder is the player starting as the wide player. The player starting should be Danjuma and later swapped with McNeil and Harrison in the second half with the additional slots being from Doucoure/Gana. If the opposition depends on back 3, then we should start DCL+Beto with Danjuma just behind in 3-4-1-2.
A traditional 4-4-2 might work consistently for most games if the team is setup is made so in my opinion;
-------------------Pickford---------------------
Coleman-Tarkowski-Branthwaite-Mykolenko
Harrison---Garner-----Onana------McNeil
--------------DCL-------Beto------------------
This would be some of the most boring football we'd see but will be consistent across most matches if Dyche is just not able to read games very well.

Needs to sort defending corners out. Surely he has a better tactic than having everyone stood in our 6 yard box.

Monday Night football just highlighted it. Luton did a job on us by basically targeting our two centre backs by pushing them away or holding them down. Someone else then heads it. Teams are going to do this to us all season.

Needs to sort defending corners out. Surely he has a better tactic than having everyone stood in our 6 yard box.

Monday Night football just highlighted it. Luton did a job on us by basically targeting our two centre backs by pushing them away or holding them down. Someone else then heads it. Teams are going to do this to us all season.
This situation is also why Arsenal scored at Goodison a couple of weeks ago, they don't even need to physically interfere with play.

The midfield set up doesn't work at home it should be one of Garner or Gana and Doucs needs to do more or I would give Danjuma a go behind the front man at times

t
The midfield set up doesn't work at home it should be one of Garner or Gana and Doucs needs to do more or I would give Danjuma a go behind the front man at times
the middle of the field in the opposition half is basically a no go zone. its either punted long by our center backs or down the wings to be crossed and easily picked off by the defenders. we need someone with craft on the edge of the box because at the moment its too easy to just mark Dom/Beto out of it and there is no plan b

I see no evidence of any tactics.
It is just weird, he sets up a through-the-middle tactic like getting McNeil to be central, and Doucoure wide left and Garner wide right only to then say, 'we did not get the width we wanted'. Like, what are you doing?

I think most decent Premier League clubs flop between two formations.

At home, I cannot abide by two defensive midfielders. I think we need to play faster, direct and competitive.

I would definitely look at a 4-3-3 with attacking wing backs.

Ideally we would have a better left back than Mykolenko or Young but McNeil I think would be much better suited being in the middle of a midfield 3.

Home - 4-3-3

Pickford
Patterson - Tarkowski - Branthwaite - Mykolenko
Onana - McNeil - Garner
Harrison - DCL - Danjuma

Away from home or against a Top 4 side, I think our Villa set up was far better so a 3-4-2-1

Again I would prefer a better centre back than Keane but Godfrey hasn't really been given a chance under Dyche.

Pickford
Keane - Tarkowski - Branthwaite
Patterson - Onana - Garner - Mykolenko
Danjuma - Harrison
DCL

Status
Not open for further replies.