Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Former Everton Managers discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure?

When he was sacked we had been knocked out. There were managers who resigned from their positions due to league results.

I know that. The moaning of the fans was going on way before that though. He was sacked the week after.

I personally cant think of many manager who would resign when mid table. What you are expecting him to do in that situation is totally unreasonable.

I know that. The moaning of the fans was going on way before that though. He was sacked the week after.

I personally cant think of many manager who would resign when mid table. What you are expecting him to do in that situation is totally unreasonable.

It depends. Mid-table to bottom half for two seasons was unacceptable for a club like Everton under the leadership of Moshiri. Thus, RM was sacked. It was not merely the problem of being in mid-table or bottom half, this club had gone backwards under Martinez.

It's crazy mate. As you say: midtable and expecting a resignation. We're not Barcelona or Real Madrid.

The hysterical pronouncements uttered and OTT conclusions drawn beggar belief.

It depends. Mid-table to bottom half for two seasons was unacceptable for a club like Everton under the leadership of Moshiri. Thus, RM was sacked. It was not merely the problem of being in mid-table or bottom half, this club had gone backwards under Martinez.

But he WAS sacked. So why go on about it? I could understand your rage if he wasn't sacked but he was!

What exactly do you want now? A public execution? A walk of shame down Goodison Road? I don't get it!

A club like Everton has not won a carrot for 20 odd years by the way.

I think he should have been sacked, he "lost the dressing room" which was enough for me and some of our performances were dire. That's fine but to expect someone to walk away from it himself is just not realistic. He may have thought that he could get rid of the bad apples (for want of a better term) and have another crack next season as we got to two semi finals etc etc. Who knows?

But he WAS sacked. So why go on about it? I could understand your rage if he wasn't sacked but he was!

What exactly do you want now? A public execution? A walk of shame down Goodison Road? I don't get it!

A club like Everton has not won a carrot for 20 odd years by the way.

I think he should have been sacked, he "lost the dressing room" which was enough for me and some of our performances were dire. That's fine but to expect someone to walk away from it himself is just not realistic. He may have thought that he could get rid of the bad apples (for want of a better term) and have another crack next season as we got to two semi finals etc etc. Who knows?

Simple. Like a couple of other posters, I was responding to balance the view of Dave on Martinez.

Have to agree to disagree on that. The so-called cups run in were meaningless. It won nothing. Yeah who knows but to think he would improve was quite unrealistic. This team was dired for 2 seasons and he had lost the dressing room. There weren't bad apples in the team for me the bad apple was Martinez.

Martinez spell in charge here was no where near as bad as a lot of fans now make out or as good as the odd person does. I think his first season didn't really do him any favours as fans expectations rose because of it and the fact he had also told us he would get Champions League for us from his own mouth. (genuine LOL at that at the time and a sure sign of the total bollocks he chatted throughout his tenure). This made the mid table finishes of the next two seasons seem unbearable and people were rightly fed up with him and the unpredictable results and capitulations coupled with terrible home form and a pretty feeble attempt at winning a semi final at Wembley after being beaten in the League cup by City earlier that season was too much for even the most loyal supporters of the manager to say they'd they'd be happy for him to have another crack at a fourth season. Not sure why people get dragged into arguments over it really trying to over exaggerate it either way as we won nothing and weren't that bad we were nearly relegated. Going on about getting to two semi finals that we lost last season is embarrassing and I'm glad I've never publicly heard any Evertonian doing it as Liverpool lost two finals last season and if I haven't heard one single Kopite bigging up the manager because of that and if they did we'd be keeled over in laughter at them. For me his time here was ultimately disappointing but not an unmitigated disaster by any means.

Martinez spell in charge here was no where near as bad as a lot of fans now make out or as good as the odd person does. I think his first season didn't really do him any favours as fans expectations rose because of it and the fact he had also told us he would get Champions League for us from his own mouth. (genuine LOL at that at the time and a sure sign of the total bollocks he chatted throughout his tenure). This made the mid table finishes of the next two seasons seem unbearable and people were rightly fed up with him and the unpredictable results and capitulations coupled with terrible home form and a pretty feeble attempt at winning a semi final at Wembley after being beaten in the League cup by City earlier that season was too much for even the most loyal supporters of the manager to say they'd they'd be happy for him to have another crack at a fourth season. Not sure why people get dragged into arguments over it really trying to over exaggerate it either way as we won nothing and weren't that bad we were nearly relegated. Going on about getting to two semi finals that we lost last season is embarrassing and I'm glad I've never publicly heard any Evertonian doing it as Liverpool lost two finals last season and if I haven't heard one single Kopite bigging up the manager because of that and if they did we'd be keeled over in laughter at them. For me his time here was ultimately disappointing but not an unmitigated disaster by any means.
That's not a fact. Kenwright stated it.

He's Kenwright, of course he made it up!

Nah, more than likely Martinez did say it but in the context of "if we can do this, get that and if other clubs dont perform we can get CL football".

In Billy Liar world that get's edited to "he's promised me CL football!!!"

Loves a stage and a soundbite does Bill.

I will never forget the thrills Martinez gave us, both in season 1, and the EL the following year.

But the 18 months or so hence, revealed, to me, a fatally flawed LEAGUE manager.

Said it before, International Manager suits him sound.

Loves a stage and a soundbite does Bill.

I will never forget the thrills Martinez gave us, both in season 1, and the EL the following year.

But the 18 months or so hence, revealed, to me, a fatally flawed LEAGUE manager.

Said it before, International Manager suits him sound.
Still youngish. 43. People forget that.

I think Smith had an absolute impossible job. Boardroom turmoil, no money, and players being sold under his nose.

Martinez was a grade A plank who spouted more wham than a PPI salesman.

He failed, he got canned, we celebrated

The end
Tbf, your opinion on the subject is invalid as you admitted you'd never give him a chance even when he was racking up a club PL record points season with us and that you wanted the rancid Moyes to be still in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back