Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Former Everton Managers discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to go a long way to find a manager worse than Mike Walker though some would argue Ian Buchan wasn't up to much.. and obviously 2/3 seasons under

Martinez (even with the good cup runs) were hard to stomach. Like a game of football if we were rubbish for an hour and got a point you'd be ok with that.. but instead we started like a house on fire but threw it away.. so basically we remember it as a poor 3 years. 5/10 (being generous)

Bingham and Lee did ok but that's all we could expect.. we bottled it (nothing new there). 6/10

Smith was dire - terrible.. unbearable stuff. but we didn't go down 4/10

Moyes - sometimes 8/10 sometimes 4/10 - no bottle

Royle - great two years - let down by the board 8/10

Kendall .. mark 1 9.5/10 mark 2 6/10 mark 3.. err best left alone

Harvey - following the legend of Kendall was tough. Not so bad but fell short of requirement - team went backwards. 5.5/10

Catterick 8.5/10 - did you know we had more points in the 60s than any other Div 1 team? Built two title winning sides.

Walker 2/10 - for the Wimbledon result otherwise 0/10

I reckon Dan has nailed it as far as I remember. I started going when Lee was the gaffer - I could never take to the fella to be honest - we played and he managed like we were in a shadow of them gobshites across the Park. A bit like Moyes, happy to draw provided we didn't get beat. I want us to have a real go and play top togga and you know, sometimes you get beat as well. I can live with that provided we show bollocks and take it to whoever we are playing.

Smith and Walker - For different reasons, I hated them both, but when pressed Walker takes it. For everything. Beyond out of his depth.

Moyes - gets an 8 and a 4. Never forgive him for playing a second team at Anfield so we could draw at home v Sunderland in the Cup. Eleven men back for a corner at home. FFS.

Martinez - like everyone, I thought we'd re-opened the School Of Science year 1. Enjoyed my Euro adventures in Year 2 but that doesn't mean you can switch off the day job.

Koeman - probably what we need currently. He ain't one of us - and in fairness has never pretended he's doing anything other - but he takes no [Poor language removed] and says it as he sees it. Hard to argue but we need to plan for who's next.

Heart says Unsworth, head says we'll need another stellar name from somewhere. Everton this.

Heart says Unsworth, head says we'll need another stellar name from somewhere. Everton this.

Everton that.. how frustrating to think that, in ALL our history, we had appointed so many managers who might achieve rather than "have achieved" - we didn't get (so we're told) Revie, Robson (at least once) and Clough - certainly Revie and Clough won it all at the top of the game and Robson wasn't far behind - to name just a few. Instead we've appointed

Britton (failed, relegated), Buchan (PE instructor for heaven's sake), Carey (great footballer), Catterick (decent but no history.. yes, he did do well), Bingham (forget it), Lee (forget it), Kendall (gamble, paid off), Harvey (gamble, failed), Kendall (gamble, failed), Walker (flavour of the day, failed), Royle (gamble, succeeded), Kendall (massive gamble, failed), Smith (successful in 2 horse race, failed), Moyes (gamble, moderate success - no trophies), Martinez (flavour of the day, one FA Cup, failed), Koeman (top name, finally some history of success...)

So the judgement was decent (for Catterick, Kendall, Royle - all ex-Blues by the way) but that's 18 years out of nearly 70. The rest of the time (outside the 60s and 80s and one FA Cup win..) - nada, zilch, nothing.. and why? Well perhaps it's because the Golf Club Committee that owns Everton Football Club (or did so before 2016) hasn't lived up to our motto.. You can argue that the other lot also took gambles on Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Fat Spanish Waiter and that United did likewise with Ferguson but look at Chelsea - they hire winners.. It's about time we did too.

Everton that.. how frustrating to think that, in ALL our history, we had appointed so many managers who might achieve rather than "have achieved" - we didn't get (so we're told) Revie, Robson (at least once) and Clough - certainly Revie and Clough won it all at the top of the game and Robson wasn't far behind - to name just a few. Instead we've appointed

Britton (failed, relegated), Buchan (PE instructor for heaven's sake), Carey (great footballer), Catterick (decent but no history.. yes, he did do well), Bingham (forget it), Lee (forget it), Kendall (gamble, paid off), Harvey (gamble, failed), Kendall (gamble, failed), Walker (flavour of the day, failed), Royle (gamble, succeeded), Kendall (massive gamble, failed), Smith (successful in 2 horse race, failed), Moyes (gamble, moderate success - no trophies), Martinez (flavour of the day, one FA Cup, failed), Koeman (top name, finally some history of success...)

So the judgement was decent (for Catterick, Kendall, Royle - all ex-Blues by the way) but that's 18 years out of nearly 70. The rest of the time (outside the 60s and 80s and one FA Cup win..) - nada, zilch, nothing.. and why? Well perhaps it's because the Golf Club Committee that owns Everton Football Club (or did so before 2016) hasn't lived up to our motto.. You can argue that the other lot also took gambles on Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Fat Spanish Waiter and that United did likewise with Ferguson but look at Chelsea - they hire winners.. It's about time we did too.
Yes, what a terrible history of appointments we made for manager

*looks at Everton record and sees we're the 4th most successful club in the country*

Yes, what a terrible history of appointments we made for manager

*looks at Everton record and sees we're the 4th most successful club in the country*

One that has 5 titles pre-war (you might want to count Kelly as a "manager"). I qualified my comment and didn't suggest we had a history of appointing terrible managers, rather than we don't strive to appoint the very best.

One that has 5 titles pre-war (you might want to count Kelly as a "manager"). I qualified my comment and didn't suggest we had a history of appointing terrible managers, rather than we don't strive to appoint the very best.
We've consistently hired people who did very well with their previous clubs. Isn't that all you can do? Catterick, Kendall, Moyes, Martinez, Koeman...all head hunted.

I am glad that Lee is getting some respect here.
yeah I was only young when he was manager and I was probably swayed by the screaming skull stuff , add to that me dad hated the footie and Liverpool's dominance and he didn't stand a chance in my eyes. Looking back his record wasn't exactly a disaster and he signed some great players , as someone said earlier the goal keeper situation was a disaster !
Edit* hang on just read this by him. "People keep on about stars and flair. As far as I'm concerned you find stars in the sky and flair at the bottom of your trousers." Shocker.

Harry Catterick was my first manager I was born in 63
The only class act we've pursued and got i feel is Koeman
No doubt we've tried and failed with others

Joe Royle stands head and shoulders out for me as my all-time favourite Evertonian, and manager.

It was a pity he didn't get the support he deserved, as he could have taken us forward in that era, and avoided much anguish.

A top man. I remember the evening he was appointed, I don't think I felt as excited or confident about us before or since.

I would also give special mention to Harvey, for the sheer humility shown in coming back as Howard's No.2, after being sacked.

There isn't a better example than that of putting the club first.

Obviously Kendall is the man all others must seek to emulate and better, but his 3rd spell was clearly one too many.

He should have been spared that but for the ineptitude of those above him.

I can't remember anything about Gordon Lee, it was all about the matches purely then being that young.

I think that ex-players returning to manage can be a poisoned chalice though.

Koeman is providing the dispassionate, professional, and clinical analysis that we badly need.

Moyes Vs Martinez;
After 18mths what we needed was the 'Goldilocks Option'
'Not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez'

I'm not sure we have that yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back