Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Former Everton Managers discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker was the most clueless by some stretch. Nev, Snodin and others have written about how loathed he was by the players.
Martinez was exposed as limited but he was leagues of that oaf.

Managers runs of the Premier League era rated from best to worst:

1) Joe Royle: No competition for me, took over a side that had been embroiledin a last day great escape and turned it around and won a cup (the last one that we won:(). In his only full season we finished a respectable sixth. 96-97 was a disappointment and it was a shame he left because I'm convinced he could of done wonders for us had he stayed on longer.

2) David Moyes: It has to be him, for all his faults he saved us back in 2002 and gave us back some pride after years of dross. He built two good sides that he was never able to make fully succeed because of his own inbuilt negativity. Still despite the myths that say otherwise we played some good stuff under Moyes particularly between 07-09.

3) Howard Kendall mark 2: It just wasn't to be this time, loads of reasons why it didn't work out but it detracts nothing for the first time he was here or his derserved title as our greatest ever manager.

4) Walter Smith: I could talk forever about hating this guy at times. He made some ludicrous buys and managerial decisions and yet I never thought he was quite as bad as our league placings during his time here suggests. It just wasn't all his fault imo. He was poor no doubt about it and better forgotten then anything else.

5) Howard Kendall mark 3: He doesn't derserve to be remembered for his part in that awful season. Others derserve far more blame then him so least said the better.

6) Reberto El Fraudo Martinez: This guy was an absolute disaster for us. Built up expectations with his BS that but ability was never able to match. One ok season with a fifth place finish followed by 12 home wins over two years. He destroyed the confidence of half our side and brought in loads of whoppers that we'll need to rid ourselves of asap. I could rant about this clown forever but that's for his own thrend. He'd be our worst manager of the Premier League era were it not for this joke......

7) Mike is an idiot Walker: I don't even know we're to begin with this moron! He's quite possibly the worst manager I've ever seen at any level. I don't know how he managed the success he did while at Norwich because I saw nothing of that during his time here. I wouldn't trust this fool to manage without destroying an under 7 five a side team! Best consigned to the dustbin of history.

As for our current boss Koeman let's just say so far so good and to be continued.

Last edited:
Johnny Carey was treated disgracefully.

The manner of his sacking has become a pejorative term now for fans of all teams in England wanting rid of their manager :mad:

In addition to his lack of defensive organization, disdain for set piece training, and lackadaisical approach to player fitness, I think his inability to recognize the appropriate talent will weigh heavily on any looking back on Martinez's time at Everton

In addition to his lack of defensive organization, disdain for set piece training, and lackadaisical approach to player fitness, I think his inability to recognize the appropriate talent will weigh heavily on any looking back on Martinez's time at Everton

He cost half a million. Worth a shot, didnt work out.

Its no different to Moyes and the likes of Joao Silva or Anderson Silva.

Obviously not every cloud has a Silva lining...

He cost half a million. Worth a shot, didnt work out.

Its no different to Moyes and the likes of Joao Silva or Anderson Silva.

Obviously not every cloud has a Silva lining...

The list of Martinez transfers isn't pretty:

McCarthy
Kone
Alcaraz
Barry
Lukaku
Deulofeu
Robles
McGeady
Traore (loan only)
Eto'o
Besic
Galloway
Henen
Atsu (loan only)
Cleverly
Holgate
Lennon
Rodriguez
Funes Mori
Foulds
Tarashaj
Niasse

Did I miss anyone? 22 total incomings, 20 permanent deals. Not a great success rate there.

Martinez's transfers in 3 years:
GK: Robles
RB: [Holgate]
CB: Alcaraz, Funes Mori, Holgate, Galloway, Foulds
RB: [Galloway]
CM: Besic, Cleverly, McCarthy, Barry
RW/LW: Deulofeu, McGeady, Atsu, Lennon
CF: Kone, Lukaku, Traore, Eto'o, Henen, Rodriguez, Tarashaj, Niasse

McCarthy
Kone
Alcaraz
Barry
Lukaku
Deulofeu
Robles
McGeady
Traore (loan only)
Eto'o
Besic
Galloway
Henen
Atsu (loan only)
Cleverly
Holgate
Lennon
Rodriguez
Funes Mori
Foulds
Tarashaj
Niasse

Did I miss anyone? 22 total incomings, 20 permanent deals. Not a great success rate there.

Martinez's transfers in 3 years:
GK: Robles
RB: [Holgate]
CB: Alcaraz, Funes Mori, Holgate, Galloway, Foulds
RB: [Galloway]
CM: Besic, Cleverly, McCarthy, Barry
RW/LW: Deulofeu, McGeady, Atsu, Lennon
CF: Kone, Lukaku, Traore, Eto'o, Henen, Rodriguez, Tarashaj, Niasse

A lot of them are still young and/or cost buttons though. 2 are loans, a handful of them suffered injuries.

I reckon you could do this for any manager ever.

A lot of them are still young and/or cost buttons though. 2 are loans, a handful of them suffered injuries.

I reckon you could do this for any manager ever.

Fair points, many of them were punts/free transfers. Still turned into a squad bloated with wages and bereft of talent. I'd like to see failure/success rate closer to 50%, however.

Or, put it this way: are there even 11 of these you'd like to keep? I can count maybe 8, and even then most of these are hopeful/sentimental.

Fair points, many of them were punts/free transfers. Still turned into a squad bloated with wages and bereft of talent. I'd like to see failure/success rate closer to 50%, however.

Or, put it this way: are there even 11 of these you'd like to keep? I can count maybe 8, and even then most of these are hopeful/sentimental.

10 if Barry was younger. A lot of them will be based on potential to be honest. Like I know nothing about Foulds but supposedly he is highly thought of.

McCarthy
Kone
Alcaraz

Barry
Lukaku
Deulofeu
Robles
McGeady
Traore (loan only)
Eto'o
Besic
Galloway
Henen
Atsu (loan only)
Cleverly
Holgate
Lennon
Rodriguez
Funes Mori
Foulds
Tarashaj
Niasse

In bold those who were without merit. Loans I;d leave out. It'd be like saying Valencia is a Koeman signing...and no one would be demented enough to buy him...would they?

Tarashaj left out because we didn't see him play and Niasse was someone else's signing. And who is 'Foulds'?

better hit rate than his successor so far. 50/50 hit and miss...and the misses have been eye watering costly.

That Martinez was [Poor language removed] wasn't he.
I dont hink you are that when you record the largest points total in Everton's PL history and its highest number of wins in a season in the PL era.

I cant see that record being broken for a decade unfortunately.

It was done pretty much on a tight budget in comparison with today's prices, but next time around it'll need massive spending and a very positive manager prepared to face up to elite teams and face them as equals.

Sunderland fans near rioting at the end of that half.

"We want Moyesie out, we want Moyesie out"

Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back