Graeme Sharp

Should Graeme Sharp be welcomed back?

• Yes

• No

• Scottish mature cheddar on barra brith

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unfortunately, I highly doubt he would apologise, thing he’s too far in with some of his rhetoric from the Radio City show etc.
I have no interest in what he has to say as he’s demonstrated himself to be a bit of plumb.
Best I think he would offer is some wooly gibberish about misunderstandings and mistakes being made.
That said, the fact I think he’s a bit of an idiot shouldn’t get in the way of him being revered for his actions in a blue shirt.
I think of him more of that mad uncle at a party tbh.
Respect him but don’t really want to spend any time with him or have to listen to his worthless opinions.

In my experience, and I've spoken with many others, Graeme Sharp is a nice personable guy one one one and individually.

But again, he's not the brightest person and I don't think had any comprehension of what he was letting himself in for getting involved in the EFC Board, which wasn't a real company board of directors it was "Bill Kenwright's management committee"

Graeme Sharp had no experience of corporate boardroom shenanigans (he's an ex footballer) and didn't have the intelligence level to either. Bill Kenwright was nothing but an arch manipulator.

It's been going on for years. Graeme Sharp is perfect illustration of the collateral damage Bill Kenwright caused just to keep control and influence.

I can understand many in the Blue Union/KEIOC being annoyed as they've said about the incidents they experienced including from Darren Griffiths and Ian Snodin too when they "marched". Club stooges and low intelligence ex footballers not comprehending the damage that is being done to the business. They are participating in.

I was fooled by Bill Kenwright early doors in the Blue Union era and I opposed them (partly by some of the poor behaviour of specific individuals latched on to Blue Union, that I now know didn't represent the entire group in the late 2000's. They were just a small sub-group). Eventually however, people always learn the truth.

That truth is Kenwright has caused horrendous damage. He's undermined and used individuals (like Graeme Sharp) for his own ends.

By who? The police distanced themselves from it. Said theyd had nothing raised to them at all.

The timing of that release, and action spoke volumes mate. Especially when there was no obligation or reason whatsoever to put out a statement saying why they felt they couldnt attend.

Sharp continued that line long afterwards to the press.

No good at all, IMO.

Well that's why I used the word apparently. We all know they weren't actually advised externally from attending.

The whole story was fabricated, it shamed the fans & he just stood back and towed the party line.

Will never forgive him for it.

Well that's why I used the word apparently. We all know they weren't actually advised externally from attending.

The whole story was fabricated, it shamed the fans & he just stood back and towed the party line.

Will never forgive him for it.
This is the issue. He was part, complicit or not, of a piece that smeared the entire fan base.

You don't get to walk away from that.

I'm going to be blunt (as I usually am) and this is for @Groucho benefit also

Graeme Sharp is not the brightest of people in the world. He's not what we term an intellect.

Nor is he super rich. As his era whilst better off than average people were not the modern day football multi millionaires

I do think he's been woefully misled by that ex "Chairman". This is why if he gives an apology that will be the end of it for me. I only want an apology because it sets him apart then from Bill Kenwright and Denise Barrett-Baxendale and their behaviour

Bill Kenwright had a hugely damaging impact on the club, and Graeme Sharp, make no bones about it is human collateral in that. So I seriously hope he does apologise. Specifically. Distances himself from the ex Board member's behaviour.

Bloody hell, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but ...

I agree with Damo.

Ive never been so angry at the club as I was when that statement was released.

A genuine absolute disgrace.
As usual pre match I was in a boozer , chocca with blues , and you could feel the atmosphere change . Just when we needed some kind of unity then perpetuated an appalling and frankly unfathomable act of self harm .

I’ll never get my head around it and like you I’m not sure I’ve ever been angrier at them .

For me just because some people are club 'Legends' it doesnt warrant a free ride in the club creating job roles for them.
The Everton of the 70s 80s is not the Everton of today, football has changed the club has changed so im not sure what these legends can offer!

I dont think the club has to be loyal to players who had a great career at the club.

He should not be welcomed back.

His achievements for the club are always there but he was complicit in damaging the club over the last few years to the point that the future of our club was in doubt.

Its interesting he is speaking at a legends event in a few weeks and I hope someone puts the question to him and see if he still repeats the old lines of “we were in danger” “someone headlocked poor Denise”

By who? The police distanced themselves from it. Said theyd had nothing raised to them at all.

The timing of that release, and action spoke volumes mate. Especially when there was no obligation or reason whatsoever to put out a statement saying why they felt they couldnt attend.

Sharp continued that line long afterwards to the press.

No good at all, IMO.

I've spoken to a couple of credible journalists that have seen the "threats" Bill Kenwright received

So I believe they were real, however deliberately grossly exaggerated and/or of a nature that the police couldn't take action on because they did not originate in the UK and/or were not serious enough to warrant it. The fact they were never published speaks volumes too.

I recall and kept copies of your posts on the day and after 14 January 2023 and you were spot on about it all @GrandOldTeam.

It was essentially Bill Kenwright doing a "Trump assassination moment" to garner sympathy, but with little to no evidence to back it up. The fact they did not go to the police at the outset as "malicious communications" confirms this. It was all a ploy. As they knew there was a protest coming.

Did Graeme Sharp comprehend what he was getting himself into associating with Bill Kenwright and his "board"?

I don't think so.

I think Graeme Sharp is a low intelligence, naive - follower.

Not a leader.

I don't think people still grasp the damage Kenwright has done within/surrounding the club.

In my view, there was a concerted effort by the clubs custodians at the time to undermine, and tarnish the integrity and reputation of Everton fans.

When he was appointed to the board, I suggested on here it felt like he was being used as a human shield. Fans were on the case of the board - "sack the board" etc - so put a club legend on it.

Now, to be fair to him - even before he was on the board, I recall him laughing at protests years back as "haha one man and his dog"

But, lets remember what he said last time. January 2021. Did this article/release just happen or was it part of a PR effort?

The club decided it wasn't safe for them - the police had no involvement in that decision.
The club decided they'd release a statement in the hours before a critical game and protest to say it wasnt safe for them to attend.
The club directors dont need to attend a fixture - so why release that statement?

Self preservation and they threw fans under the bus. Now, where the below fell in all that is up for debate.

“It was a sad day for the club,” Sharp admitted

"It’s still uncertain whether we will get the go-ahead to attend the next home game against Arsenal on February 4. No one could ever have envisaged things getting to this state where you are actually in physical danger.

“I don’t want to miss games, Everton is in my blood. Of course, fans can have their say and I can understand the frustrations, but some of the protests have gone over the top.

“For instance, no one works harder than Denise. In addition to the day-to-day running of the club, she is also working tirelessly on the new stadium. For her to be targeted is so unfair.”

“The club is in turmoil,” Sharp added. “It needs unity with everyone working hard for the cause, supporters included. Surely no one wants to see scenes again where players have their cars kicked.

“It’s really disappointing when I’m advised not to attend a home game because of safety issues. We will now have to see what transpires in the next week or so before Arsenal arrive at Goodison.”

Agree with this.
He took sides - board over fans.
He was happy to be the 'human shield' the board and media could use to smear the fans 'club legend can't go to game'.
He wasn't manipulated, he made a clear choice.
Did he do anything to rehabilitate Southall back into the club who's only crime was saying it how it was?
A lot of ex players are culpable in the disgraceful way the club was run - Sharp, Reid, Osman et al.
Carragher called the board out and defended the fans more than they did.

The thing is a lot if our ex players have said naff all with what's been happening to this club over the years, they have just sat on their hands. You would not get this at United or should I say Liverpool, if things are not right their ex players make sure the media know about it and are not scared to say things as they are.

I can only recall big Nev ever coming out and telling it for what it was

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.