In all seriousness, this derby record: WTF are we going to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not. I've seen genuinely good Everton sides go there and absolutely bend over petrified for much worse Liverpool teams than this one. But the real thing that sticks in my throat is that we're now starting to cower before them AT HOME as well.
Yep. We could always count on a home win every few seasons. Not any more.

It's 'kin dreadful.

No worry's. We are Everton. Try to beat that. Our time will come. Until then, sit back and enjoy being a fan, of the greatest club in the World.

It's not all bad.

I had similar thoughts this morning. I'm absolutely sick of them beating us. Could it simply be that they tend to have a better side and on top of that they raise their game against us? We are very unlikely to catch them on an off day.
We lower ourselves to whatever level they are currently at in order to deny ourselves victory.

It's just appalling (this sequence).

The fact that a thread hadn't been created before just shows how inured we are to the lack of victories.

To be fair Dave, it had never registered with me until the commentator remarked on it last evening.

I knew we hadn't beaten them in seven years but it had not registered with me that there was someone keeping a "record" of it and last night's game was the record breaker.

I wonder if anyone at the club had even picked up on it.....it is the kind of unwanted stat that could have been used to galvanise the players.

I wonder what our record unbeaten spell is.

It's just appalling (this sequence).

The fact that a thread hadn't been created before just shows how inured we are to the lack of victories.

..i’ve often referred to it on this site as ‘changing the status quo in the city’. We did it briefly under Kendall. I think it was late ‘87 season when we’d already won the league and beat them 1-0 at Goodison from a Wilkinson goal (I think). The likes of Rob Wakenshaw played, John Wark missed a penalty.

That game was surreal because for once we were just superior. The Boot was truly on the other foot. For that reason, i’ve never forgotten that meaningless game. The aim is to return to that state. Kendall managed it.

Look at the stats on shots at goal/on target. We weren't creative enough. You dont win derbies by just battling.
Tosun (hopefully) should make a big difference.

We did well. Frankly the last thing I want is for the players to be scared when playing there thinking they can do no right.

To be fair Dave, it had never registered with me until the commentator remarked on it last evening.

I knew we hadn't beaten them in seven years but it had not registered with me that there was someone keeping a "record" of it and last night's game was the record breaker.

I wonder if anyone at the club had even picked up on it.....it is the kind of unwanted stat that could have been used to galvanise the players.

I wonder what our record unbeaten spell is.
11 between 1902/08 and 8 in Big Joe era.

..i’ve often referred to it on this site as ‘changing the status quo in the city’. We did it briefly under Kendall. I think it was late ‘87 season when we’d already won the league and beat them 1-0 at Goodison from a Wilkinson goal (I think). The likes of Rob Wakenshaw played, John Wark missed a penalty.

That game was surreal because for once we were just superior. The Boot was truly on the other foot. For that reason, i’ve never forgotten that meaningless game. The aim is to return to that state. Kendall managed it.
Even when we were clearly not at the races thiugh we were dominant - as with the Royle period. It need not coincide with great silverware success.

We've had Clattenburg, Yellows become Reds after a word from their Captain, we've had Red cards overturned a week later, we've had the ball moved to a new postcode at a late freekick, seen flying assaults go unpunished, we've played weakened sides because we have a quarter final game three days later at home, we've under hit back passes at Wembley, we've agreed to play too often at lunchtime on a Saturday when I've not had enough ale, we've had goals struck off for full time when its sailing into the Gwladys St net, we've had penalties galore given against us, we've seen an alleged Cameroonian World Cup celebration as a sometime England international has been on his knees crawling alongside the goal line cupping his hand to his nostril, we've conceded in the first minute, conceded in the last minute, we've had racists propel themselves fifteen feet in the air in front of our bench to taunt our manager, we've been called a small club by the occupiers of our old ground - in fairness, they've done a bit of touching up since we last won the league there - we've also season in season shown our neighbours a respect that they simply don't deserve since the back pass rule was introduced. I've seen Steau scarves worn as a badge of honour by those too young to even remember the reason why, I've seen banners & heard chants from a fanbase that typify the double standards surrounding a football club who bring shame to these shores on a recurring basis & yet are celebrated by their sycophants in the media.

For the first time in a long time last night we took the game to them and showed them no respect - I loved Kenny backing Holgate up - loved Davis not even looking twice as Gok Won was retrieved from row three - the ingredients for change are there. Its Glory Past, once our first team realise they can go toe to toe & win against them is when we start to restore the balance. It's heavily tipped one way at the moment though! I still know we're better though.

Even when we were clearly not at the races thiugh we were dominant - as with the Royle period. It need not coincide with great silverware success.

...it helps to have silverware but the period needs to be sustained rather than brief interludes. It’ll probably have to be a matter of them regressing and us progressing. The perfect storm. Off the pitch infrastructure will help support the change in status quo.

I genuinely think these games are fixed, the derby is lost prior to the game. Far inferior team than us has gone to Anfield and won. Or our mentality is weak, the walls at Finch Farm talks to the players and say the RS wins anyway or something garbage like that. We need a medium.

The record is incredibly one sided lately and it really shouldn't be. It's quite a phenomenon going on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back