Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
pull a mooney on camera

Suit mate !

Suit definitely and tidy up the background behind you!

I'd go bollocko.

Wear the suit, the whole suit because I'm not sure how true it is but I've heard of Skype interviewers asking the interviewee to stand up, and it won't look good if they see your iron man boxies

Hah, thanks for the advice. It's actually quite informal so I think open collar should be fine. And I'll be sitting in front of several book cases. Good call on the trousers, though...

Think it would be one of those experiences that when you get old and crusty like me, you will remember with great fondness.

Must beat Market Drayton in the winter at least!
Just got an email, they want me to do an interview via Skype tomorrow.

Btw @LocalNative, when you're mates did this they weren't doing all the karaoke and dressing up in the costumes and that were they? Was it more club crawls and that yeah?

Just got an email, they want me to do an interview via Skype tomorrow.

Btw @LocalNative, when you're mates did this they weren't doing all the karaoke and dressing up in the costumes and that were they? Was it more club crawls and that yeah?

Nah, was mostly selling tickets and t shirts for bar crawls or club nights. Mostly involved walking the promenade all day or heading over onto the beach. Hours are gash like, working all day but it's an experience in itself. As I said one of the guys loved it, so much so that he's done it for the past 3 years and is going again this summer.

Where abouts you planning on doing it mate?

Reactions: FTY
Nah, was mostly selling tickets and t shirts for bar crawls or club nights. Mostly involved walking the promenade all day or heading over onto the beach. Hours are gash like, working all day but it's an experience in itself. As I said one of the guys loved it, so much so that he's done it for the past 3 years and is going again this summer.

Where abouts you planning on doing it mate?
Ah sound, be arsed doing the Macarena every day.

Erm not sure yet mate they didn't say.

Sorry mate, not caught up with this thread recently, what's the status on existing applications?

they are the only 2 'in play' now.

Conductor - passed SHL tests then didnt get through some saville profiling thing

Paint Job - never informed me & job now advertised again, which tbh if that's the way they operate then I don't want any involvement, left a scathing company review on Indeed but they refused to publish it (it was after United Utilities had raised my hackles last week with their letter saying they were going to break into my house).

Jag Land Rover - didn't complete assembly so failed

Station Assistant at Manc Airport - didn't get to interview stage

Sofaworks - all vacancies became xmas temps, maybe different in New Year

Walkers - reapplied & said not doing the recruitment days until at least back end of Jan

I've lost track of a lot of them tbh as I've been applying for all kinds, way too many zero hours and part time hours jobs out there & a lot are in positions that you wouldn't expect that, and also too many on minimum wage working rotating shifts... seems shift pay for unsociable hours is a thing of the past in a lot of jobs.

my example of Min Wage, Rotating Shifts & only 16 hours guaranteed .....

when you go through the airport and are subjected to security checks, body & hand luggage scans etc, the person doing that job is on minimum wage & only guaranteed 16 hours which can be at any hour of any day, and the 16 hours could be spread over 4 shifts including Fri, sat, sun with say a 2 or 3 am start.
They're really spending big on that vigilance & security aren't they.
How reassured every will be when flying when they are aware of that, and as said previously there'll be some poor sod that has a squeaky clean record that is sent to do that job by the Govt.

I'll have to do some more SHL Tests for Network Rail at some point during the next 10 days.

The adverse effect/ strain all of this has on Personal Circumstances is immeasurable tbh which also has the effect that I may NEED to get a job on decent pay.

I passed the Network Rail Tests but didn't make the cut off for interviews/ next tests, they have told me to keep applying though as I could well to next stage for other positions that come up (which they say is quite regular) as my results stand for 12 months.

I just got a call out of the blue from the Paint Job asking me to go for a 3rd interview next week, I'm going like cos I need a job but as said previously I'm not that confident that its the job for me as SO different to what I've had done previously imo, and I get the impression that it's due to them struggling to find the right person that I'm still being considered.

Something that has just come up though that I would jump at is a Trainee Driver/Operator for an OTM Train (on track maintenance) i.e. 1 of these..
Img_5619.jpg

The lady had me zap my cv over straight away saying that she's fairly sure that the manager will want to speak to me, they have just ran a recruitment campaign but she said that they are struggling to find people that have done what they consider to be a 'proper' mechanical engineering apprenticeship.. deeming mine to be one. I asked about the Trainee Driver aspect of it as that was what I had been searching for when I found it & she said that is what at they look at putting someone through as opposed to an apprenticeship that is already a driver. I would have to pass the driver psychometric testing etc the same as for say Northern Rail but I think this may be an 'easier' route into it & I reckon they might possibly help you a little due to having the other skills that they want. Basically with the Passenger Trains they can pick & choose as they wish due to the amount of applications they get & as well as passing the tests you may have to be in the top 6 from 1000's to even get to an interview, they are introducing more & more tests each time to keep whittling numbers down (conductor jobs as well). I'd love this 1 to progress tbh from the positivity I got on the phone & her keenness for me to get my c.v. over there & then, the money is top notch as well which is always nice.
She did mention that "it's a filthy job, I see the lads covered in sh.. (not literally)" BUT as they say Where's There's Muck There's Brass.

At least I'd be able to stop boring you all with my job searching.
* & start an I Hate This Filthy Job Money Isn't Everything Thread.

I passed the Network Rail Tests but didn't make the cut off for interviews/ next tests, they have told me to keep applying though as I could well to next stage for other positions that come up (which they say is quite regular) as my results stand for 12 months.

I just got a call out of the blue from the Paint Job asking me to go for a 3rd interview next week, I'm going like cos I need a job but as said previously I'm not that confident that its the job for me as SO different to what I've had done previously imo, and I get the impression that it's due to them struggling to find the right person that I'm still being considered.

Something that has just come up though that I would jump at is a Trainee Driver/Operator for an OTM Train (on track maintenance) i.e. 1 of these..
Img_5619.jpg

The lady had me zap my cv over straight away saying that she's fairly sure that the manager will want to speak to me, they have just ran a recruitment campaign but she said that they are struggling to find people that have done what they consider to be a 'proper' mechanical engineering apprenticeship.. deeming mine to be one. I asked about the Trainee Driver aspect of it as that was what I had been searching for when I found it & she said that is what at they look at putting someone through as opposed to an apprenticeship that is already a driver. I would have to pass the driver psychometric testing etc the same as for say Northern Rail but I think this may be an 'easier' route into it & I reckon they might possibly help you a little due to having the other skills that they want. Basically with the Passenger Trains they can pick & choose as they wish due to the amount of applications they get & as well as passing the tests you may have to be in the top 6 from 1000's to even get to an interview, they are introducing more & more tests each time to keep whittling numbers down (conductor jobs as well). I'd love this 1 to progress tbh from the positivity I got on the phone & her keenness for me to get my c.v. over there & then, the money is top notch as well which is always nice.
She did mention that "it's a filthy job, I see the lads covered in sh.. (not literally)" BUT as they say Where's There's Muck There's Brass.

Well done mate,

Img_5619.jpg

Reidy,

Best of luck with this. I really admire your determination and attitude.

Reidy,

Best of luck with this. I really admire your determination and attitude.

Well I need to find employment mate, my self employment isn't paying me anything and although there are a lot of jobs about they aren't jobs that I view as worth having, certainly not to take the decision to pack the self employment in and some would still leave me with next to nothing in 1st year due to advertising contracts etc from self employment. Also I'm viewing it that I want something that is going to be secure (at my age-47) cos its been that difficult to find something this time that I can only see that getting harder as I get older.
Deffo think the Railways are where it's at regarding job security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back