2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen the clip of his ‘foul’ on Ings a number of times, it’s a great bit of keeping from him.

Plenty of keepers bottle that challenge when they see a striker bearing down on them, caught in two minds of dashing backward to their goal and leaving themselves one on one.

He’s read the danger and came to meet it outside his box (and left a bit on the kopite for good measure).
Had to adjust after a really bad bounce too. Fantastic keeping I thought.

I get what you're saying but I disagree with the bold bit.

There are 'levels' of mistakes. A striker mis-controlling a ball out wide and it going out for a throw in is one thing, but mis-controlling with the goal at your mercy is quite another. If a striker keeps being let down by their touch when chances come their way it's a problem. Same with a keeper. Punching when you could have caught or putting one out for a corner when it was going wide anyway are mistakes, but dropping shots into your six yard box or letting balls squirm under your body etc are much more serious issues.

Pickford is a good keeper, but he does make a worrying amount of mistakes for my liking if i'm being honest. I think he's made big errors in his last three games for us, and that run needs to be ended soon or it becomes a real problem.

Oh obviously, and a mistake from a goalkeeper will be more 'high profile'. It usually costs goals.

But I don't think Pickford makes any more mistakes than most of the other top goalkeepers, really.

Alisson makes a fair few, and will do this season. So does Ederson. It's how they react/recover from those mistakes. Lloris has a howler in him. Every goalkeeper does. It doesn't make them bad.

He was poor v West Ham.

He was good vs Wolves. He could have stopped the FK but he didn't because he didn't trust the defence. That's kind of understandable. It was also an excellent free-kick.

On Saturday he dropped a dipping, swerving shot when he was expecting a cross. Part of playing goalkeeper is gambling on what the opposition is going to do, to an extent. He made up for that mistake.

He wins us more points than he costs us. We're a bunch of freaks as fans, honestly. (Although there is nothing wrong with fair criticism, we're getting to the point of being totally hypercritical of one of our best players, again)

Garth Crooks has put him in his Team of the Week.

He also says "I just hope Everton fans treat Silva better than they treated Allardyce."

A man of shrewd judgement is Garth.

I think he’s more than decent, and I think he’ll become even better. I also think a lot of people give him too much rope based on his passport.

Im not a scout, so wouldnt know. I could rattle of FM names all day, but we all know the worth of that stuff. I would have loved us to have signed another senior keeper to give Picks some time off and someone to share the pressure with and learn from. Stek isnt that guy.

The club was just in the media talking about us planning for the CL, if thats the goal, I dont get why we shouldnt build towards that. Getting into the CLspots and staying there is glory enough as a start for us, Im not talking about us winning it. Given time I think Jordan will come good for us, but he’s still a bit to raw in some situations.

Some back peddling that.

A keeper making mistakes in two games isnt doing fine. Thats not good enough. Once in a while is fine, but its just a matter of time before his mistakes cost us. Needs to improve quickly, ‘good enough’ is t good enough.
I agree. But he had a practically faultless world cup over 7 games and after that the law of averages say's he going to drop one. He's also had, shall we say, an eventful summer, and it's possible his concentration levels aren't where they need to be yet.

I don't think the free kick against Wolves was what you call a clanger either. Yes, his decision to take a step just as the kick was taken was questionable, and I've said in another post it was interesting to see the keeping coach working on this in the training video released last week. The error at the weekend was really poor, but to balance this you also need to give him credit that he followed this up with an absolute worldie which prevented his mistake costing us.

As a young keeper, he actually doesn't make that many errors. If he keeps up his one a game ratio I'd start to worry, but for now I think some people are over reacting a bit.

His distance kicking needs to improve, but a lot of this is down to defenders passing it back to his wrong foot. I wish they'd stop doing this.

Oh obviously, and a mistake from a goalkeeper will be more 'high profile'. It usually costs goals.

But I don't think Pickford makes any more mistakes than most of the other top goalkeepers, really.

Alisson makes a fair few, and will do this season. So does Ederson. It's how they react/recover from those mistakes. Lloris has a howler in him. Every goalkeeper does. It doesn't make them bad.

He was poor v West Ham.

He was good vs Wolves. He could have stopped the FK but he didn't because he didn't trust the defence. That's kind of understandable. It was also an excellent free-kick.

On Saturday he dropped a dipping, swerving shot when he was expecting a cross. Part of playing goalkeeper is gambling on what the opposition is going to do, to an extent. He made up for that mistake.

He wins us more points than he costs us. We're a bunch of freaks as fans, honestly.
Yeah that's pretty much the point i'm making. Making mistakes is part of the game, but if you keep making them every week you have a problem. He's had 3 in a row now and he needs to put an end to that and have a few steady games.

I'm not sure the Wolves one is really 'understandable' if i'm honest. I think it's telling that you use the word 'defence' because yes it would be acceptable to not trust the defence in many instances, but it wasn't 'the defence' he wasn't trusting, it was his wall. There's a difference between thinking your defenders might get done for pace etc and thinking that the people you've chosen to stand in a wall in a particular place aren't capable of doing it. Same with the Southampton one, yes it dipped and swerved but not to a ridiculous extent. It was just a standard shot in modern football, and he should have saved it comfortably let's be honest. He made a superb stop to make up for it and that doesn't go unnoticed, but keep doing that and you'll get punished.

He's good, I like him, but he's not beyond reproach and we don't need to make excuses every time he does something wrong. I don't believe in just pretending everything's fine as long as you get away with it, I think it should be pointed out that if he carries on for the whole season like he's played so far, we won't be very happy with him.

Garth Crooks has put him in his Team of the Week.

He also says "I just hope Everton fans treat Silva better than they treated Allardyce."

A man of shrewd judgement is Garth.

I've heard Garth Crooks called many things since he took up punditry, but never a "man of shrewd judgement" previously lollol

Yeah that's pretty much the point i'm making. Making mistakes is part of the game, but if you keep making them every week you have a problem. He's had 3 in a row now and he needs to put an end to that and have a few steady games.

I'm not sure the Wolves one is really 'understandable' if i'm honest. I think it's telling that you use the word 'defence' because yes it would be acceptable to not trust the defence in many instances, but it wasn't 'the defence' he wasn't trusting, it was his wall. There's a difference between thinking your defenders might get done for pace etc and thinking that the people you've chosen to stand in a wall in a particular place aren't capable of doing it. Same with the Southampton one, yes it dipped and swerved but not to a ridiculous extent. It was just a standard shot in modern football, and he should have saved it comfortably let's be honest. He made a superb stop to make up for it and that doesn't go unnoticed, but keep doing that and you'll get punished.

He's good, I like him, but he's not beyond reproach and we don't need to make excuses every time he does something wrong. I don't believe in just pretending everything's fine as long as you get away with it, I think it should be pointed out that if he carries on for the whole season like he's played so far, we won't be very happy with him.
In terms of the Wolves mistake, we don't know what they've looked at before the game. Neves takes all of their set pieces and they will have looked at where he is most likely to go. Like in the world cup after the shoot out Pickford said only Falcao didn't go the way they thought before the game. He might have seen that Neves usually goes over the wall and the fact he can really strike a ball meant Pickford tried to go early to give him more chance of saving it. Of course he shouldn't be beaten on his side but I'm gonna blame the one who gave away a needless freekick and got himself sent off before Pickford.

He was poor v West Ham.

He wins us more points than he costs us. We're a bunch of freaks as fans, honestly. (Although there is nothing wrong with fair criticism, we're getting to the point of being totally hypercritical of one of our best players, again)
He might become one of our best players, but he’s not there just yet. He’s got more than one howler in him pr game, and we’ve all seen it. He needs to improve, like may of our other young players, its weird how pointing that out about Pickford is shocking for people, but saying the same about DCL, Davis or Holgate is fine. Id say Pickford is a more compleat player than they are, but he still needs to improve.
I dont think anyone disagrees about that, even if you think he’s a better player than I do, so Im not quite sure what we’re discussing. Im not advocating beching him, he does need to play.

Some back peddling that.
Such a troll.

He might become one of our best players, but he’s not there just yet. He’s got more than one howler in him pr game, and we’ve all seen it. He needs to improve, like may of our other young players, its weird how pointing that out about Pickford is shocking for people, but saying the same about DCL, Davis or Holgate is fine. Id say Pickford is a more compleat player than they are, but he still needs to improve.
I dont think you disagree about that, even if you think he’s a better player than I do, so Im not quite sure what we’re discussing. Im not advocating beching him, he does need to play.

Such a troll.

Even more back peddling.

Pickford needs game time to get back upto speed, he will be fine this season.

In terms of the Wolves mistake, we don't know what they've looked at before the game. Neves takes all of their set pieces and they will have looked at where he is most likely to go. Like in the world cup after the shoot out Pickford said only Falcao didn't go the way they thought before the game. He might have seen that Neves usually goes over the wall and the fact he can really strike a ball meant Pickford tried to go early to give him more chance of saving it. Of course he shouldn't be beaten on his side but I'm gonna blame the one who gave away a needless freekick and got himself sent off before Pickford.
I've touched on this in the Keane thread actually. I don't really see why we need to blame anyone. I'm not blaming Pickford, just pointing out that he made an error. Not a terrible one, not something we can't forgive, but an error nonetheless. Same with Jagielka for the sending off, Keane for the second goal, Coleman for the late breakaway. It doesn't mean any of them are bad players or are being unfairly targeted, it's simply a comment on their performance.

In regards to the Wolves one I think it was an understandable mistake in judgement. He took a half-step to his left, and couldn't get back. It's not a Karius-level clanger.

The drop against S'ton was a lot worse, and it was a poor attempt - no excuses made. But he recovered from it, luckily for him and us.

And okay, I agree on your last point but he's also made two great saves that have won us points in the last two games as well...

I dont think anyone disagrees about that, even if you think he’s a better player than I do, so Im not quite sure what we’re discussing. Im not advocating beching him, he does need to play.

Such a troll.

He is easily one of our best players.

He quite literally was our best player all of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back