Transfer Rumour Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am once again pleading for someone to tell me where this characterisation of Dyche as a master motivator of lost souls has come from.
I have listened to a couple of interviews from players that have played for him saying he's a great one to one manager and treats players like human beings etc and has taken extra time with players that have been finding the going tough even outside of football. One was an ex Ireland international and can't for the life of me think of the other one or two

Pep signed him 2 years ago, since then hes hardly played him and made him available for loan/transfer.

Pep seems like somebody we should take notice of.

There's a whole world of difference playing for Man City and playing for Everton though.

He just might never have been a technically good enough footballer to operate in Pep's team. That's the same for at least 85% of all English footballers.

If his attitude was poor etc. then that's a different matter. If not it's whether his confidence has been broken to a point he can never get back to what he was for Leeds (& England), which would be more than enough to get into our team. That's the gamble.

There's a whole world of difference playing for Man City and playing for Everton though.

He just might never have been a technically good enough footballer to operate in Pep's team. That's the same for at least 85% of all English footballers.

If his attitude was poor etc. then that's a different matter. If not it's whether his confidence has been broken to a point he can never get back to what he was for Leeds (& England), which would be more than enough to get into our team. That's the gamble.
Yep,we aren't a high bar.

We don't know how cheap (or expensive) he is though do we mate. That depends on the loan payment , and the salary contribution that Kev agrees with City.
I agree that Dyche would love him as his style of player ( albeit a bit classier and a better ball distributer than he has had before).
Well West Ham paid a loan fee (£3m apparently) and covered Phillips wages (£150k a week)

So his wages alone will be a touch on £7m so add on a loan (£5m or so) or transfer £10-15m.

I think we can find a younger and cheaper option

I think he's one of them that got his big move and his big salary and now he doesn't really give one any more.

it happens.... would love to be proved wrong if he came here though - when he was good he would be our best midfielder (but then you can say the same about Dele).

Think at Leeds he was settled, the big guy in the changing room, local lad etc etc, gave him a bit of a swagger (not arrogance but just confidence in himself)

I think turning up at City, especially with his style of play (long raking balls, a sort of relaxed style) is the complete opposite of what Guardiola looks for, i think that chipped away at that person that was at Leeds and he went into his shell.

People react to things in different ways, and i don't think Phillips reacted well to that. Some players look to prove a point, Phillips seemed to stop trying, didn't look after himself, and that came with negative comments from Guardiola

No one really knows if you can get that back once you have lost it. I'd say more often than not its harder to climb out of that hole than it is to stay in it. But there are examples of players with similar story's/situations that have excelled.

I'd argue its probably more likely to fall flat on its face than succeed though. Its your model professionals/excellent trainers who tend to do well after falling out of favour somewhere (Gareth Barrys/ Phil Nevilles etc)

Think at Leeds he was settled, the big guy in the changing room, local lad etc etc, gave him a bit of a swagger (not arrogance but just confidence in himself)

I think turning up at City, especially with his style of play (long raking balls, a sort of relaxed style) is the complete opposite of what Guardiola looks for, i think that chipped away at that person that was at Leeds and he went into his shell.

People react to things in different ways, and i don't think Phillips reacted well to that. Some players look to prove a point, Phillips seemed to stop trying, didn't look after himself, and that came with negative comments from Guardiola

No one really knows if you can get that back once you have lost it. I'd say more often than not its harder to climb out of that hole than it is to stay in it. But there are examples of players with similar story's/situations that have excelled.

I'd argue its probably more likely to fall flat on its face than succeed though. Its your model professionals/excellent trainers who tend to do well after falling out of favour somewhere (Gareth Barrys/ Phil Nevilles etc)
Spot on, all of that.

Well West Ham paid a loan fee (£3m apparently) and covered Phillips wages (£150k a week)

So his wages alone will be a touch on £7m so add on a loan (£5m or so) or transfer £10-15m.

I think we can find a younger and cheaper option
I very much doubt that west ham pay full wages plus 3 millions on top...I suspect that they pay half the wages plus a loan fee on top that would probably bring it closer to his full wages paid. I know the press reported it at the time as paying full wages, but just don't see it...they are very strict with their wage structure.

I am once again pleading for someone to tell me where this characterisation of Dyche as a master motivator of lost souls has come from.

The last two seasons.

Think about it...

Of the many, many, many crap players at the club when he came in, which of them has he improved through coaching?

Myko is probably the closest, although I’d argue we’ve just alleviated him of his attacking duties which has lessened his scope for crapness, as opposed to Dyche making him a better player.

I’m not arguing that Dyche hasn’t done what’s required to keep us safe, and with a bit to spare, but this idea of him as a manager who can resurrect Dele and Phillips is just very weird to me.
Yeah, nothing against Dyche (I think he did very well last year), but I see the improvement more down to him making us more organised, disciplined, and hard to beat, creating a solid base to pick up points from, as opposed to turning around anyone's career. I'm sure players do appreciate the personal touch someone else mentioned, but not sure we've seen any results of that on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.