Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a matter of Everton not wanting to. You need takers and even with a subsidised wage the loaning club may still think they have a better use for their money or limited squad registration places depending what league they're in. Clubs can only have so many loans as well - PL Clubs can only have 2 loans in at any one time (look how the seemingly wasteful signing of El Ghazi subsequently limited options in January) and it varies from league to league.

Tosun did go out to Palace and Besiktas and both spells were curtailed by injury. That won't be encouraging for a club looking to utilise their limited loan spaces and squad numbers in the best way possible.
Just a tiny correction, PL teams can only have 2 loans domestically and 2 loans from overseas for a total of 4 loans total.

Astounded that Mina isn't in the 'pay off' list.

Yes, the best defender we have, but utterly useless in the medical room for his 6m a year.
I don’t think he is utterly useless in the medical room, that’s where he is at his best keeping them all on their toes, when he’s on the field he’s slightly better than Keane,now there’s a recommendation for you.!!

I just hope he isn't a Ghost, I know nothing about him nor do I care who he supports.

I just want someone who is competent in the role, explains decisions and the vision to the fans correctly and doesn't give soundbites.

There has been multiple examples of this from other DOF/CEO/MD's over the last season or two.

He cannot be a ghost and has to be accountable to what he was employed for
Maybe I’m just not reading or listening enough, but which DOFs at successful clubs do you ever even hear from?

The man should be invisible to us because he should be doing his job right. We would’ve have wanted to hear from Brands and Walsh if they’d bought great players and made improvements to the youth structures etc, we’d just want to say “it’s great they we do things well these days”.

You only want accountability because you expect failure and underperformance, and who can blame you. But if the job is done well, inside a well run club, you should know nothing more about the fella than his name.

Maybe I’m just not reading or listening enough, but which DOFs at successful clubs do you ever even hear from?

The man should be invisible to us because he should be doing his job right. We would’ve have wanted to hear from Brands and Walsh if they’d bought great players and made improvements to the youth structures etc, we’d just want to say “it’s great they we do things well these days”.

You only want accountability because you expect failure and underperformance, and who can blame you. But if the job is done well, inside a well run club, you should know nothing more about the fella than his name.

Tbh mate, I don't want accountability because I expect failure. As someone who owns a business I expect everyone who works for me to have KPI's and work to a common goal.

He should have a clear remit and be held accountable to that, same as everyone at the club. I also don't think its out the realms of belief to want communication from the club and the man who is now "meant" to be shaping our future of playing and recruitment. These are things which wouldn't strategically effect the planning of the club but will allow the fans to understand where we are going and what to expect.

I want to know how he plans on reshaping youth, the playing style, what he perceives Everton to be, how he is going to compete for youth recruitment when we are massively behind in that department, how the youth setup is going to get a bump up, and how he is going to structure the club to be a success. With due respect to Brands (and little) and Walsh, there was extremely little change on those departments.

For example, communication from Edu and the villa bloke after Grealish left was refreshing and shown those clubs had reasons and a plan. Fans aren't the boss, but they are the paying customer and we have little come from the club in terms of communication.

Just my feeling really, was hoping Prentices last finger on the pulse (if he ever had one) would feed something into his new role as Director of Communication that fans want that communication... given the current circumstance I am under the impression the club wouldn't want to do this, but come season end, they need to clearly put things out and communicate.

Sorry, I can't consider a lad who is 24 (I think) and played a relativly small number of games as an academy success story.

Add in the fact he's actually pretty hopeless at football and he's definitely scrubbed off the list of 'Well done, Unsy.'

Davies isn't everyones cup of tea, but over 150 PL games under various managers means he's doing something right.

Sorry, I can't consider a lad who is 24 (I think) and played a relativly small number of games as an academy success story.

Add in the fact he's actually pretty hopeless at football and he's definitely scrubbed off the list of 'Well done, Unsy.'

Davies isn't everyones cup of tea, but over 150 PL games under various managers means he's doing something right.
Whether he is good enough or not is kind of irrelevant though.

He came through the youth ranks just like Davies did and is playing most weeks.

Davies and Kenny are in the same group to me really. Serviceable enough squad fillers, preferably not for us.

Regardless of it being 1 or 2 players its still not good.

Davies and Kenny are in the same group to me really. Serviceable enough squad fillers, preferably not for us.

Well exactly. The leading clubs seem to have a new one each season.

Those that are deemed not good enough they are able to generate decent money, our neighbours being a perfect example

Our 'prospects' tend to hang around until its time for a testimonial.

I'd love to know what our academy has cost over the past 10 years. I'm sure it's an eye-watering number.

Wasn't DCL recognised, approached and bought by Unsworth, then used within his squad? I recognise that he wasn't here from being 7yo, but he's still here because Unsworth saw something in him.

Wasn't DCL recognised, approached and bought by Unsworth, then used within his squad? I recognise that he wasn't here from being 7yo, but he's still here because Unsworth saw something in him.
Unsworth saw him yes, but he wouldn’t have bought him, that’s not his job. Also apart from a
Handfull of un23 appearances he went straight with the first team

Unsworth would have been aware of him from his time with Sheffield Utd and no doubt kept up with the progress of more than one of the Sheff Utd prospects. If he was instrumental in bringing him to the club, well done.

However, this is his eigth (maybe ninth) season leading the U23 team. And based on our ridiculous lack of structure, arguably the entire academy.

Since 2014 when he took the managers role at U23, how many players have come through the ranks to make more than say..... 10 first team appearances? How many have we sold for actual money?

However people cut it, he's been an utter disaster.

Yet he's still here, puffing out his chest safe in the knowledge he's going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back