Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
More then that i think mate, Peter Clarke, Nick Chadwick, Tony Grant, the ever green Matthew Pennington - of the top of my head.
No it's correct.

More than 20 games. The only one who played more than 20 games there was Tony Grant and he made his debut before the cut off point.

Chadwick, Clark etc played around 5-10 games.

So I decided not to be lazy and have a go myself. I’ve only got from 95-2005 but in those 10 years spurs brought through 5 players that played 20 or more games for them, plus Peter Crouch (via Branford and QPR youth teams) who eventually played that many for spurs but not till he’d made a career elsewhere first, and plus Paul McVeigh who went on to play 200+ games for his next club Norwich but played very few times for spurs.

The players they brought through that hit 20 games were

1995/96
Nobody
1996/97
Rory Allen (?)
Stephen Clemence
1997/98
Luke Young
1998/99
Ledley King
99/2000
Nobody
2000/01
Nobody
2001/02
Nobody
2002/03
Nobody
2003/04
Johnnie Jackson (20 exactly)
2004/05
Nobody
Nice work. Yeah the numbers are probably less than people would assume for most clubs. There is a big difference between breaking into the first team and a youngster playing a handful of games before disappearing into obscurity. We have had loads who have played a game or two.

It's always a bit skewed for us as well because of Rooney

I know he mainly did it elsewhere, but how often does a truly world class talent come through any academy?

Just worry that he raised peoples expectations as to what was coming through

It's always a bit skewed for us as well because of Rooney

I know he mainly did it elsewhere, but how often does a truly world class talent come through any academy?

Just worry that he raised peoples expectations as to what was coming through

Who is expecting a world class player to come through? More competent Premier League players like Gordon will do. It’s a complete myth that we’re sat here wanting Rooneys to come through the academy, when the reality is we just want more Osmans and Hibberts.

Who is expecting a world class player to come through? More competent Premier League players like Gordon will do. It’s a complete myth that we’re sat here wanting Rooneys to come through the academy, when the reality is we just want more Osmans and Hibberts.
And maybe a few that won’t make the grade here but after a few showings in the cups and on loan have some value and bring us a million or 5 into the coffers now and then.

Well lets go from when we actually last won something.

Players who played at least 20 games for us (by debut season, so not those already at the club for a few seasons like Ebbrell and Unsworth)

1995-96
Michael Branch

1996-97
Michael Ball, Richard Dunne, Danny Cadamarteri

1997-98
Francis Jeffers

2000-01
Leon Osman, Tony Hibbert

2001-02
Wayne Rooney

2004-05
James Vaughan

2005-06
Victor Anichebe

2007-08
Jack Rodwell

2011-12
Ross Barkley

2016-17
Tom Davies

2018-19
Jonjoe Kenny

2019-20
Anthony Gordon

So 15 in 27 years. It's not great is it?

I thought I was being too low with 20 games but nobody else even got close to that.
I know the idea is that they play for us but there's also a few who got away/left and still became 20+ game first team quality in a top tier league. Shane Duffy & John Lundstram spring to mind for the Prem, Antonee Robinson seems locked in to do so next year. Mohamed Ali-Cho in Ligue 1.
Not World beaters by any stretch but still talent that came through and we didn't necessarily take full advantage of.

Get him in

Little bit easier when you’re one of the most famous brands in world football, there’s precisely one financial superpower in your league (and they’re in a complete mess), and even an average season can end up on European football of some sort.

Try doing this in the prem housing 6 of the richest football clubs in the world (three of which are probably the best in Europe right now), it takes a brilliant season to get you europa league football, no one wants to play for you because they all want to join a sky six side, yet you still have to pay the mercenaries who do turn out for you record fees just because every other team in the league will pay them that if you don’t.

The prem is completely different to every other European league. DOFs abroad can target CL football in the short term with some decent investment and a cogent recruitment plan. That’s just not obtainable in the PL without sustained humongous investment (now prohibited by FFP), unbelievable long term recruitment, and an absolute world class manager.

Leicester are a prime example. Recruited really well over a long period after their title win Maguire Chilwell Kante all sold at the right time, Ndidi Tielemans Maddison Barnes Iheanacho Fofana all brought in. They brought in Brendan Rodgers, an extremely good manager to oversee it all. In any other European league that sort of operating probably gets you second third or fourth place for a few seasons.

In England it gets you fifth place behind a terrible Manchester United team and the whole thing unravelled and back at square one within a further season (Rodgers under pressure, Vardy older, Tielemans Ndidi probably joining other clubs)

In this league every card is stacked against none top 6 teams, from FFP to corrupt refereeing, the fixture lists, revenue sharing. Everything.

Thelwell could do the job of a lifetime for us and it might only end us up in the top half. That’s the challenge he has.

I know the idea is that they play for us but there's also a few who got away/left and still became 20+ game first team quality in a top tier league. Shane Duffy & John Lundstram spring to mind for the Prem, Antonee Robinson seems locked in to do so next year. Mohamed Ali-Cho in Ligue 1.
Not World beaters by any stretch but still talent that came through and we didn't necessarily take full advantage of.
Gavin McCann would be another.

Even with those players though, they went on to be decent top flight pros. We binned them off for a couple of tracksuits and some caseys.

We tend to get some younger players for fairly cheap but not from our academy, DCL, Holgate, Nkounko, Branthwaite etc so its skews the numbers a bit too.

Little bit easier when you’re one of the most famous brands in world football, there’s precisely one financial superpower in your league (and they’re in a complete mess), and even an average season can end up on European football of some sort.

Try doing this in the prem housing 6 of the richest football clubs in the world (three of which are probably the best in Europe right now), it takes a brilliant season to get you europa league football, no one wants to play for you because they all want to join a sky six side, yet you still have to pay the mercenaries who do turn out for you record fees just because every other team in the league will pay them that if you don’t.

The prem is completely different to every other European league. DOFs abroad can target CL football in the short term with some decent investment and a cogent recruitment plan. That’s just not obtainable in the PL without sustained humongous investment (now prohibited by FFP), unbelievable long term recruitment, and an absolute world class manager.

Leicester are a prime example. Recruited really well over a long period after their title win Maguire Chilwell Kante all sold at the right time, Ndidi Tielemans Maddison Barnes Iheanacho Fofana all brought in. They brought in Brendan Rodgers, an extremely good manager to oversee it all. In any other European league that sort of operating probably gets you second third or fourth place for a few seasons.

In England it gets you fifth place behind a terrible Manchester United team and the whole thing unravelled and back at square one within a further season (Rodgers under pressure, Vardy older, Tielemans Ndidi probably joining other clubs)

In this league every card is stacked against none top 6 teams, from FFP to corrupt refereeing, the fixture lists, revenue sharing. Everything.

Thelwell could do the job of a lifetime for us and it might only end us up in the top half. That’s the challenge he has.

People dont want to accept the reality as its all **insert manager** / Moshiri's fault.

Reality is FFP and VAR have made it so clubs like us will never compete long term again.

May get the odd fluke cup win every so often (in which even that has dried up as you never see any more Boro/Birmingham/Wigan type clubs win a trophy these days).

Why I care little these days and wont be arsed in the slightest if we go down. I think some Championship football might wake many on here up to how over rated and crap/rigged the PL is these days.

People dont want to accept the reality as its all **insert manager** / Moshiri's fault.

Reality is FFP and VAR have made it so clubs like us will never compete long term again.

May get the odd fluke cup win every so often (in which even that has dried up as you never see any more Boro/Birmingham/Wigan type clubs win a trophy these days).

Why I care little these days and wont be arsed in the slightest if we go down. I think some Championship football might wake many on here up to how over rated and crap/rigged the PL is these days.
Everton have wasted 600million on players, that was Everton that did that.

Not FFP, not VAR, Everton, the desire to blame others for Everton is pathetic, own the mistakes the club has made.

Well lets go from when we actually last won something.

Players who played at least 20 games for us (by debut season, so not those already at the club for a few seasons like Ebbrell and Unsworth)

1995-96
Michael Branch

1996-97
Michael Ball, Richard Dunne, Danny Cadamarteri

1997-98
Francis Jeffers

2000-01
Leon Osman, Tony Hibbert

2001-02
Wayne Rooney

2004-05
James Vaughan

2005-06
Victor Anichebe

2007-08
Jack Rodwell

2011-12
Ross Barkley

2016-17
Tom Davies

2018-19
Jonjoe Kenny

2019-20
Anthony Gordon

So 15 in 27 years. It's not great is it?

I thought I was being too low with 20 games but nobody else even got close to that.
Thanks. I think that just shows that Rhino is no worse than others at bringing them through really. 1 every couple of years on average in the last 30 years. Doesn’t make great reading to be honest. We are producing some more that go on the have careers further down the pyramid too I guess.

where is Peter Clarke …. earlier ? Or maybe bought ?

Everton have wasted 600million on players, that was Everton that did that.

Not FFP, not VAR, Everton, the desire to blame others for Everton is pathetic, own the mistakes the club has made.

Man Utd have wasted similiar - yet could spend another £100 million in the summer whilst Everton spent £1.7 million and had to offload big earners and go cap in hand to the PL begging for no punishment.

Ultimately the difference - the top 6 can make as many mistakes as they like and never drop away - we cant.

Hence @Saint Domingo point on Leicester - they have been absolutely perfect from top to bottom yet are only 1 bad transfer window or awful managerial appointment away from dropping off back into mid table - something the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea will never do and certainly never City/RS.

This league is an illusion - you have fans on here championing clubs like Brighton with perfect set ups.

The same Brighton that will never qualify for the Champions League never mind win anything.

Man Utd have wasted similiar - yet could spend another £100 million in the summer whilst Everton spent £1.7 million and had to offload big earners and go cap in hand to the PL begging for no punishment.

Ultimately the difference - the top 6 can make as many mistakes as they like and never drop away - we cant.

Hence @Saint Domingo point on Leicester - they have been absolutely perfect from top to bottom yet are only 1 bad transfer window or awful managerial appointment away from dropping off back into mid table - something the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea will never do and certainly never City/RS.

This league is an illusion - you have fans on here championing clubs like Brighton with perfect set ups.

The same Brighton that will never qualify for the Champions League never mind win anything.

It’s why I pay zero heed to any ‘we should have gone for this manager’ ‘look at what x has done at this club’ ‘look at the football y is playing within a few months, why can’t our manager do that’

They all end in failure. Bielsa the forum’s favourite last season is now fired, Potter is back in mediocrity, Wilder is in the championship, Dean Smith will be, Nuno soared and then got burned badly, you can throw all our managers in there, Rodgers is now falling back at Leicester, Hasenhuttl can’t sustain it.

Only two teams from outside the sky six have broken the top 4 since Abramovich took over Chelsea, and they are us in 04/05 and Leicester (who I’m convinced were probably doping) in their title win. That’s 18 years and no one else has even been close aside for Leicester under Rodgers.

Only one manager in PL history in this period outside of the top 6 has picked up a team in the lower regions of the table, improved them, and then consistently built on that improvement to challenge for Europe consistently. That was David Moyes.

One, in 18 years. For every other team no matter what manager, DOF, budget, academy output, owner, stadium, the end result has been the same. None of them can even maintain European qualification in the unlikely even they’re good enough to even get into the europa.

‘We should have gone for Bruno Lage though’ - no, a completely irrelevant shout, that Wolves team won’t make top 4 under him whatever he does and in a best case scenario they’re still where they currently are in three season’s times (because he’s been good enough to maintain performances whilst replacing his best players successfully). The most likely scenario though is he loses his best players to the top 6, he then either recruits badly or one his replacements gets injured, Wolves hit a rocky patch of results, and the media and referees are on them in a flash and loss after loss follows until Lage is fired with Wolves in the bottom half battling relegation and the owners unwilling to risk PL survival.

People will say it’s tin hat stuff but it’s happened to almost every manager at every club. They either move up in rare circumstances (Poch, Santo, Moyes) or they’re gone in a few seasons. Every time. All of them. Doesn’t matter what club.

So yeah our owner has made probably every mistake in the book, but if he hadn’t, we still wouldn’t be playing CL football. Will be interesting to see how Newcastle un folds but it wouldn’t surprise me if they made exactly the same errors, overspending on players the elite don’t want to try and close the gap on the elite even though the game is rigged against you by the elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back