Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sick to death of this modern archetype built against modern players that the game doesn't matter to them as much as it did to players of by-gone generations. Insinuating that those from working class backgrounds play the game 'like it matters', in contrary to others is complete and utter rubbish.

So your saying becoming a millionaire before your 21 doesn't affect a young players mentality of attitude ? When your poorer you are definitely hungrier for sure.

Is it?

Still waiting for that evidence

Again, if you're going to go in strong on someone you should probably have something to back it up

All you've done is spew bile at someone with nothing to support it

Eggs doesn't need me to stand up for them as they are capable to do so themselves, but it doesn't sit right with me to see a good poster attacked in such a manner when you seemingly have nothing to back your attack up

Haha mate give over the guardianship role here - this forum is full of people disagreeing with others. Of course there's no way for anyone to prove rightly or wrongly that the statement he made is correct, it's subjective, and as such I was making it clear that I think it's dated and outlandish to suggest. Why don't you find evidence that would suggest players from previous generations cared more about football than nowadays?

Good poster or not, he's not immune to a daft post. And you've just blown it up into a bigger point than it needed to be by getting so defensive.

To my mind, David Moyes would have been a first rate DOF for talent spotting for the player with the right mental and physical requisites.
Aiden Maher (a gifted player for our younger readers) once told me of the importance of the correct 'fit' of a player other than just being a gifted footballer. Moyes used to do his homework thoroughly I thought.
Moyes was extraordinarily diligent.

Unfortunately, that was used as a stick to beat him with, too.

But I'd rather have a Dithering Dave choosing our players than Monopoly Money Moshiri trolley dashing us up to the FFP hilt.

It is blatantly clear that the life of the young footballer has changed completely.
I have read about players in earlier times going to the ground on a Saturday on the same bus as supporters, this kept them grounded and more self aware.

Young players now are under enormous pressure, earn vast sums of money and have become remote and separated from fans... not their fault as the clubs organise this.

Does huge wealth change a young person ?, of course it does.
Talented young players are probably financially secure now aged 23 or 24.
But, I think even worse than this is that even at that young age they have become cash cows for so many around them. Family, agents, minders and God knows what else.
I remember reading somewhere last year that Phil Foden employs his own chef, I find this incredible and completely indicative of what the younf footballer is struggling against to stay normal but also to retain an appetite to play.

It is blatantly clear that the life of the young footballer has changed completely.
I have read about players in earlier times going to the ground on a Saturday on the same bus as supporters, this kept them grounded and more self aware.

Young players now are under enormous pressure, earn vast sums of money and have become remote and separated from fans... not their fault as the clubs organise this.

Does huge wealth change a young person ?, of course it does.
Talented young players are probably financially secure now aged 23 or 24.
But, I think even worse than this is that even at that young age they have become cash cows for so many around them. Family, agents, minders and God knows what else.
I remember reading somewhere last year that Phil Foden employs his own chef, I find this incredible and completely indicative of what the younf footballer is struggling against to stay normal but also to retain an appetite to play.

One of my mates, has just rented one of his flats out, to Richarlisons own personal physio.

I`m led to believe, that this is quite common amongst some of the overseas players.

Sick to death of this modern archetype built against modern players that the game doesn't matter to them as much as it did to players of by-gone generations. Insinuating that those from working class backgrounds play the game 'like it matters', in contrary to others is complete and utter rubbish.

To the extent that we need to take individuals as individuals, and on a case-by-case basis I agree with you. It's not possible to paint people with broad brushes.

But as a description of a population, I disagree very strongly. Materialism, consumerism - whatever you want to call it, for sure has a deadening effect on the vast majority of individuals. Money is libidinal and quite emotionally charged. The game of money promises a lot to people. Of course, these promises are never fulfilled, and the game is very disappointing, and a bit morose ultimately. Add in the tendency of materialism to circumvent the social bond and it's not a great recipe. It kills desire.

Moyes was extraordinarily diligent.

Unfortunately, that was used as a stick to beat him with, too.

But I'd rather have a Dithering Dave choosing our players than Monopoly Money Moshiri trolley dashing us up to the FFP hilt.

There's nothing more 'Everton that' than Moyes leaving at the time he did. Just at the moment we stumble across great riches he exits the club. People slate him for his 'knife to a gunfight' quote but he was absolutely right. I'm always baffled at the mental gymnastics needed to berate him for that one. Unfortunately for us he left exactly at the moment he could start buying actual guns. I'm pretty sure he would have us in the champions league, or regularly competing for it, had he stayed on.

There's nothing more 'Everton that' than Moyes leaving at the time he did. Just at the moment we stumble across great riches he exits the club. People slate him for his 'knife to a gunfight' quote but he was absolutely right. I'm always baffled at the mental gymnastics needed to berate him for that one. Unfortunately for us he left exactly at the moment he could start buying actual guns. I'm pretty sure he would have us in the champions league, or regularly competing for it, had he stayed on.
Yeah, I'm torn on Moyes.

At the time, I felt it was the right thing for both parties. I was frankly astounded that United wanted him when they could've had pretty much anyone, and I shared the general opinion of most Evertonians that he'd taken us as far as he was going to.

But I think the stability and care with which he ran the club was something I underestimated at the time. His steady stewardship masked the deficiencies elsewhere in the football club, and Moshiri's kid in a sweetshop approach to owning a football club has since exposed them all.

If he'd stayed, we probably would be doing a lot better than we are now - but I don't think we'd have won anything, either.

I do like the shout of him being a director of football rather than a manager, but I don't know if it would've worked to bring a new manager in under him - or even if he'd ever accept that kind of role.

Hopefully Thelwell is both capable and strong-willed enough to sort us out. Someone needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back