Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing ... we have dropped 17 points from a winning position this season so far.
How many to allocate to Howard? How many to allocate to the stubborn Martinez?
Quite a fair few of those are directly because of the keeper and the defenders.

No...not at all. Not even close...he had a fabulous ability to find real talent on the cheap.

Just not convinced he'd be able to sign the likes of Lukaku.

Yeah, that's fair.

I think Martinez has done a decent job in the market, on the whole. But I do think there's still some question marks over it.

He's got a big one coming up. We need a lot of players replaced. If he can do that well, we'll be flying.

More Besics, less McGeadys.

We honestly arguing that David Moyes had no eye for a player, here?

That wasnt what I was saying at all. Anyone who doesnt recognise that quality he had clearly knows nothing about football.

My point was that our current squad probably wouldnt have been assembled by Moyes. Utd would not have bought Fellaini for a start, and even if Bill stumped up the cash, not sure McCarthy would have been bought by him. He would have gone wherever Martinez went.

All the stuff we heard about the Rom loan deal was that he would have been at West Brom if Moyes was still here.

So the point about Moyes being higher than 12th with this squad is academic.

And I know that is only two players. Well 3, cos Fellaini would maybe still be here. But you get the point.

And who would have been our 2nd goalie when Howard was injured?

That wasnt what I was saying at all. Anyone who doesnt recognise that quality he had clearly knows nothing about football.

My point was that our current squad probably wouldnt have been assembled by Moyes. Utd would not have bought Fellaini for a start, and even if Bill stumped up the cash, not sure McCarthy would have been bought by him. He would have gone wherever Martinez went.

All the stuff we heard about the Rom loan deal was that he would have been at West Brom if Moyes was still here.

So the point about Moyes being higher than 12th with this squad is academic.

And I know that is only two players. Well 3, cos Fellaini would maybe still be here. But you get the point.

And who would have been our 2nd goalie when Howard was injured?

And would barkley be in the first team? Would stones?

And on the other side, would we have better players than alcaraz, mcgeady and kone around.

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Domestically, a complete write off. Where has it all gone wrong?

Our pre-season effort was pathetic.
Second season syndrome?
Players unable to cope with the Europa League?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
No wingers, not adequately replacing Pienaar/Deulofeu?,
Being found out?
Goodison pitch going to the dogs...

The excuses are far and wide.

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll have another summer. He deserves it based on his first season.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Review the manager in December...

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...
Very well summed up Mr GOT, there are many things to be concerned about. My main worry is, if some players want out, can we attract the calibre of player good enough to replace them?

Very well summed up Mr GOT, there are many things to be concerned about. My main worry is, if some players want out, can we attract the calibre of player good enough to replace them?

I doubt it because the players will have wanted out for a certain reason which would probably mean the players we would like, would not like to come here for that same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back