Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on

Before Martinez turned up Wigan had finished 17th 14th 11th, Steadily getting better

He turns up and it's 16th 16th 15th 18th after spending 35m on new players

The mans a fraud

Let's judge Martinez on the facts.

Daily Mirror April 2013; "The prudent Martinez has overseen a whopping 22 per cent cut in Wigan's wage-bill since he took over in 2009 - meaning the club no longer needs hand-outs from chairman Dave Whelan's personal fortune. "As a club, we work on a smaller budget and, in terms of contracts, they are a little bit shorter," he said."

Whelan ordered Martinez to reduce Wigan's wage bill after the spending of Steve Bruce. Martinez did this - just at the time other clubs were increasing theirs substantially. Every season, Martinez had to sell his best players and rebuild his team. The sales of Valencia, Cattermole, N'Zogbia and Moses alone raised £40m. Other players left at the end of their short contracts. So spending £35m on new players does not sound extravagant.

However, cutting the wage-bill as other clubs dramatically increased theirs could only have one conclusion. Further, Wigan's small squad could not provide the resources to compete in two competitions. Thus Wigan won the Cup Final on Saturday. On Tuesday, their tired players lost to an Arsenal team who had not played at the weekend - and were duly relegated. They didn't even get a chance to celebrate their Cup victory.

We honestly arguing that David Moyes had no eye for a player, here?

His eye for an player is the only thing i gave him credit for, his negativity and what he did with them is a different issue. That is why i was amazed when he went to United, who don't have to look around for cheap bargains, and why clubs like Newcastle or Villa would be perfect for him.

The Telegraph June 2014; Atlético Madrid want £25 million-rated Lukaku to replace Costa, while Juventus, Tottenham and Everton are all interested in the Belgium striker.

The Guardian, August 2014: Alex Song to Liverpool, Joe Allen to Manchester United, Xabi Alonso to Manchester United, Liverpool to land Falcao, Welbeck to Hull City, Arsenal on verge of double swoop for Cavani and Tiote.

Not always a great indicator.

I doubt it because the players will have wanted out for a certain reason which would probably mean the players we would like, would not like to come here for that same reason.

My head says that we should still be a great prospect for a great many quality players from everywhere as we have been or should have been for many years. However, if you mean that we won't attract the finished article type of player who can walk into our side and immediately kick us on I agree, but don't think we're able to do that now anyway. Rather, I think we are still trying to rely on finding good players and giving them the chance to become much better, even great, if they stay and help us improve. I do admit however to being privately worried that if things go spectacularly bad for El Jefe that it could have a very negative effect on our drawing power. Mostly because it could mean we panic and get some dire re-tread manager.

The Guardian, August 2014: Alex Song to Liverpool, Joe Allen to Manchester United, Xabi Alonso to Manchester United, Liverpool to land Falcao, Welbeck to Hull City, Arsenal on verge of double swoop for Cavani and Tiote.

Not always a great indicator.

Indeed. So what was the source of your information that no-one else was interested in Lukaku?

Why play 2 wingers when you can have Sir. Gareth Barry.

Why drop your in-form keeper when you can have Sir. Tim Howard.

These are managerial decisions, these are the decisions that he should be under scrutiny for.

For me, he has until the end of the campaign (Europe/PL) to fix his [Poor language removed].

Rumours in the North East is that he is Ashley's number one target in the summer to become Newcastle manager. Apparently a big fan of how he works on a limited budget and it would help appease the fans feelings towards him.

Not sure Martinez could make the step up of managing a big club.

People use the sacking the manager stance to show to what extent they waht change, we all know the situation is passed the sacking point in the season, just wouldn't be feasible now.

It's just venting anget, genuine anger as once again Everton take a big opportunity to build and then throw it away with contempt for supporters.

Said over and over again, from pre season we were always playing catch up, Bobby had his ego pumped after last year, went to the world cup where, lets be honest, we all thought he would be acting in Evertons interests too, Besic aside, nada, zip, that had a big affect on plans as he then hedged all his bets on Lukaku signing and Lukaku signed late when he realised no big clubs (sic) were chasing him. By then it was too late.

Bar sporadic games we have been atrocious all season. Where does the buck stop?

People use the sacking the manager stance to show to what extent they waht change, we all know the situation is passed the sacking point in the season, just wouldn't be feasible now.

It's just venting anget, genuine anger as once again Everton take a big opportunity to build and then throw it away with contempt for supporters.

Said over and over again, from pre season we were always playing catch up, Bobby had his ego pumped after last year, went to the world cup where, lets be honest, we all thought he would be acting in Evertons interests too, Besic aside, nada, zip, that had a big affect on plans as he then hedged all his bets on Lukaku signing and Lukaku signed late when he realised no big clubs (sic) were chasing him. By then it was too late.

I think it's a bit harsh to judge him now on his signing Lukaku. The majority of Blues were buzzing went the deal went through

If ever GOT has a real life get-together, @magicjuan will be the poster I make a bee-line toward...he understands zeitgeist/'social meme' vs reality. And by the way people, when the truth about ISIS finally hits your iphones, you will ALL be amazed (in a horrible way)

Last edited:
I think it's a bit harsh to judge him now on his signing Lukaku. The majority of Blues were buzzing went the deal went through
I think lukaku was a great signing.
What puzzles me is playing him on the wing or up top on his own against 3 defenders with the rest of the team too deep.

I'm not 100% convinced we definitely won't be relegated. How can anyone be? We've shown we are capable of losing 5 or 6 on the trot, and have put in too many spineless performances. A couple of key injuries (Jags and Stones say) and I'd be seriously worried.
Agreed. . We shouldn't go down. We have players capable to keep us safe but one has to consider our horrible form but The difficulty is getting sucked a bit nearer to the zone. Then it becomes a different ball game. Every match becomes a nervous fight and our current ball playing system does not bode well for a battle. Mistakes and poor confidence is a current issue with half our team. A loss against arsenal is probable and will not help. Then the battlers Stoke. .....
1. Teams above or below us now enjoy coming to a dead goodison. Home form is vital to ease relegation fears.
2. RM will not under any circumstances change his teams footballing style. His own players have asked to change things if necessary but we evolve back to playing across the pitch. We should move the goals to the main and bullins stands. The lack of a proper playmaker number 10 means this system does not work in the premiership esp if we then don't use 2 wingers.

We should be ok only due to the poor teams below us but to say 100 % we are safe is kind of asking for trouble. I'd be more confident if we can get a win over arsenal or Stoke. I can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back