Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is worrying for me is that after calling for 2 wingers, he actually played two wingers for 30 minutes or so, he played lennon and Atsu, worrying part is atsu played attacking midfield ? Baffles me more and more as every day passes this season.

Footballs a simple game with players like we have being made very complicated by the manager we have.

Nothing to do with agenda's, liking or not liking the manager....I hope for the good of our club he goes in the summer.

He's like the meeting of a very fit bird who is everything you've ever wanted until they get their feet under the table and turn into someone you'd happily do with out.

Footballs a simple game with players like we have being made very complicated by the manager we have.

Nothing to do with agenda's, liking or not liking the manager....I hope for the good of our club he goes in the summer.

He's like the meeting of a very fit bird who is everything you've ever wanted until they get their feet under the table and turn into someone you'd happily do with out.

Unfortunately the whole Bobby should he stay or go has been polarized to the point that the cup is poisoned for everybody now. Football has moved on and the only thing that remains is the club irrespective of owners, managers or playing staff. It,s a results game in the here and now with huge fin ramifications for everyone connected with the sport, if the boat is steered off course.

This is one time when the club should be ruthless in my view and I think to some degree the owner is walking the tightrope just as much as the manager at present. I say that because I firmly believe it,s Bill who is personally locked into his own vision of how he thinks Bobby and the clubs future are tied together and he appears to be closing his eyes and covering his ears to the regular explosions going off both on and off the pitch.

I think he got so many things right last year, in the main I think we all thought we had a bright future ahead of us.
This season has been a complete nightmare, and I will be glad when over.
If there are positives to take out of the last 2 seasons, I think it will be the manager will of learnt more than he expected and will grow from the experience.
I wanted RM from the start, and the reason being I think he is a young manager who will try to get us playing the right way. I do believe he has been to rigid at times, but do feel we are seeing a little diversity in our play now.
The reality is that whatever manager we sign, there will always be gamble.

He's had one good season and one bad season. I'll give him another season and see where he stands then. A full season mind, can't make a call at Xmas - how many poor starts have we had only to make a good run at Euro places.

If there was someone waiting in the wings, so to speak, with a proven track record and a willingness to come to us then the pressure would be on but as it stands thats not the case.

Things Martinez has got very, very wrong this season:

- 3 year deals to Barry and Naismith

The Naismith one in particular was baffling. Nobody else wanted him on a freebie from Rangers, why risk all that money on a long contract when he's had about 5 influential game sin his entire Everton career?

Barry deal looked good at the time, but has come back to haunt us with his awful displays, particularly before Christmas. Plus the emergence of Mo Besic who looks every bit as good as Barry, but fitter, quicker and better on the ball.

- Pre-season

It was a joke from start to finish. Didn't get the players in soon enough, disjointed performances all over the place, fitness looked miles off which shown in our early season form (now it's not fitness that is the issue, rather tactics)

- Players out of position

In only having one decent striker he's tried to play three in behind him but generally only one natural wide player, meaning Osman, Naismith, Eto'o and Barkley were rotated on the right of midfield, thus made completely ineffective as they cannot play there. Even with Naismith and Barkley, in particular, stinking the place out on a regular basis, they've still been played there. Which leads to the next point...

- Not dropping players badly off form

Howard, Jagielka, Baines, Barry, McGeady, Naismith, Barkley. All played far too many games in a row without being dropped at various times. Took an injury for Howard to lose his place, only for him to regain it and cost us three points within a week of coming back with an inept performance against Leicester at the weekend. Naismith and Barry, when fit, seem to play 90 minutes every single week (or so it feels). It's taken a suspension for Barry to exit the starting XI! Baines has been poo yet starts when fit, despite Oviedo coming in and playing well before Christmas after Baines got injured.

- Failed to admit the truth

It's all well and good being positive, but after a while, and particularly on the back of such an appalling run of results, the manager needs to admit things are going wrong and we need to go back to basics. Yet he continues using superlatives as often as possible, rather looking to find positives in a 2:2 home game against Leicester and home defeat by Crystal Palace than use it as a public kick up the arse for the players.

I'd say that's quite a lot to have got wrong in the space of just a few months. Relegation is definitely a possibility this season.

He's had one good season and one bad season. I'll give him another season and see where he stands then. A full season mind, can't make a call at Xmas - how many poor starts have we had only to make a good run at Euro places.

If there was someone waiting in the wings, so to speak, with a proven track record and a willingness to come to us then the pressure would be on but as it stands thats not the case.

This is how I feel, and seems to be the most sensible stance.

Been saying it all season. He needs another season here to get it right and learn from the mistakes of this season.

To those who want him out, who realistically would you replace him with at this moment in time?

Conceding six at home was just not acceptable in any circumstances,certainly not at Everton were expectation was as high it was.

I think Martinez would like to play with two out and out wingers, but because ,again, of the goals we conceded against Chelsea, and subsquently other teams, he needed a worker like Naismith, not technically the most gifted, but a player he could rely on to track back and always help in defence, as well as contribute in attack.

People have made a lot of the six goals we conceded against Chelsea. The real problem was that we presented them with two goals before our defence had settled down - we were two goals down after four minutes!

If we had sat back for the remaining 86 minutes, the game could well have ended 0-2 - Chelsea were happy enough to be ahead without making any effort. But Everton threw themselves at Chelsea in a determined attempt to score. And to their credit they did score three goals against one of the best defences in the league! But their constant attacking play on this occasion inevitably left holes in the defence - and every time Everton scored, Chelsea were smart enough to pull one back.

In my view, Everton showed enormous courage and skill in trying to come back after a ridiculously careless start.

But it wasn't a typical display at all - and there hasn't been another one like it. The problem was the two goals we gave away at the beginning - not the four we conceded later in the game. However, it gave Everton a high total of goals against, and an unwarranted reputation for a leaky defence. Unfortunately, the constant criticism of their defensive record by fans and the media seems to have steadily worn the team down. And in that respect, it proved to be a damaging result.

I think Martinez has been badly let down by some players this season, but at this point, there's not a lot he can do. People will point to January and ask why he didn't spend then, but given the overhaul the squad is going to require in the summer, I don't think he had that option. We simply could not afford to spend a load of money in January knowing that 6 months later, we will need to spend massively again.

Howard, Hibbert, Distin, Alcaraz, Garbutt, Barry, Osman, Gibson, Pienaar, Mirallas, Kone, McAleny, Atsu, Lennon...

That's 14 players who will most likely need replacing come the summer, and that's not even taking Eto'o into consideration, who already left without being replaced.

Some of these positions will be back filled with youngsters taking squad places of players who have barely contributed, and some of the more promising youngster pushing for starting places.

But that still leaves a huge amount of bodies that we will need to bring in, to bring the squad up to speed.

Obviously, of those listed, a couple will probably stay on as back up, especially if we are desperate, but the majority of these players listed are either too old, too injury prone, or whose performances have begun to wane to a point they are no longer reliable over a full season.

Of those who are likely to go, only Mirallas will command anything like a reasonable fee that can be reinvested, and though we will save a lot in wages, we will still to need spend an awful lot to get us up to speed.

But this was always going to happen. Martinez inherited his squad from Moyes, and he has only really added Lukaku, Besic, Mccarthy, McGeady and Joel to what he had before (not including players listed), who are all younger, talented players that can, with the addition of Barkley, Stones Oviedo and Coleman, go towards creating a strong core of our next team. But it was always going to take time, and we are in a transition period.

Last season was great, but in some ways, it was the worst thing that could've happened. Martinez claim to Kenwright that he would deliver Champions league football was an eventual goal that Kenwright made public, much to Martinez apparent discomfort, as he will have known himself it would take time.

But the performances last season have led the fans to believe we where basically already there. And that has placed too much pressure on the team this season, when it was always going to be almost impossible to keep up the form from last year, as well as adapting to balance the strains of both the league and European competition.

But even Martinez will have not expected this collapse. And as already pointed out in a couple of fantastic posts, there have been a number of contributing factors. None of us are privy to the team talks he gives, but I'm pretty sure none of them will include instructions to Howard to [Poor language removed] up twice a game, or for Jagielka to start the season badly, or for Rom to miss chance after chance in games we need to win, or for Stones and Mccarthy to get long term injuries, all just so we can test the teams resolve...

Martinez has been badly let down by a number of players this season, and while he is not infallible, I for one, would still like to give him the benefit of the doubt, and my support, at least into next season. I still believe he can turn it around, and i hope he goes on to prove a lot of people wrong.

Last edited:
Been saying it all season. He needs another season here to get it right and learn from the mistakes of this season.

To those who want him out, who realistically would you replace him with at this moment in time?

they have no answer to that, ive been asking them for weeks now. they just want him out and get all grumpy when asked who could replace him now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back