Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says who?

I think we could have afforded them last Summer, I've yet to see anything stating that he was demanding obscene wages in order to leave Swansea. And City only became interested towards the end of last year, he had no idea that City were going to come in or him in the January 2015 transfer window back in August 2014. So I don't see how he would have been demanding City style wages, considering a move to City was not on or him back in August?
Its the reason Pool swerved. He wanted 100K a week which our salary structure couldn't afford plus he also wanted CL. He actually accepted less from City than he wanted. We could have obviously bought him before he went to Swansea.

What's the alternative? Barry? He's even slower than Gibson and hasn't even got the passing range. If Roberto is smart we'll play compact and use Gibson to play quickly to Lukaku Barkley and Mirallas on the counter. What we'll see instead is a massively open game with Barry Besic and McCarthy making hardwork of passing it around before Arsenal choose when to get into top gear and put a few past Howard (aka get any type of shot on target).
If we play those 3 we will be setup to defend so it wont be open. If we play Besic and McCarthy (which we won't) then we might actually stand a chance of trying to beat them in an open game.

If we play those 3 we will be setup to defend so it wont be open. If we play Besic and McCarthy (which we won't) then we might actually stand a chance of trying to beat them in an open game.

Besic and McCarthy didn't exactly tear Leicester to pieces though. They're both great players but they haven't had enough time on the pitch together to build an understanding and neither of them have really looked that creative. Gibson's display against Leicester was the most heartening thing I've seen from a player in the Everton shirt for some time. Good understanding with McCarthy and was able to quickly spot and execute incisive passes to put forwards into threatening positions.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/roberto-martinez-no-issue-everton-8722747

Martinez discussing the anxiety of the fans at home and the difference between the PL and EL campaigns.

Yes, this bears out what people have been saying.

It wasn't Besic whom was being booed nor where the boos aimed at the lads coming on.

It was purely and simply about people liking a particular player and being unhappy with his being taken off.

And that is what all the booing has been about in recent months.......tactics and substitutions but no player has yet been booed off for his own performance.

In a way it is a compliment to Roberto that an unknown quantity he brought in for little money has made such a hit with the fans in such a short time.

BTW his decision was totally vindicated as we looked a far better attacking proposition after Gibson came on.

So it's all good ;)

Okay fine I'll do one tl;dr about this if you insist!

Is this because you don't think the debate is valid? Aren't you at all concerned?

Interesting question.

I'm a big sample size guy. I played poker and now I have a regular "business-y" job and in both situations I need a large sample of data before I draw any conclusions. 72o can beat AA a few times -- doesn't mean it's a better hand. Heads can come up 10 times in a row -- doesn't mean it's not a 50/50 chance.

So it's not that I don't think it's valid to discuss so much as I think people are jumping the gun. It's a debate with insufficient data (both pro and con) and that's never a good debate on either side. So we end up spinning our wheels and getting angry because neither case is that strong in terms of evidence.

Obviously I want to keep RM but not because I KNOW he's a great manager; I don't know yet one way or the other but I have some evidence he might be great (and some he might not be) and I don't think the risk of firing him (potentially losing a great manager) is worth the reward (starting over again with a new random manager) at this time.

We had a good-great year and this one is TBD (but heavily leaning toward a bad year granted). Sacking him now just seems absurd to me. It's not that I think it's impossible RM might not be the right fit.

I was Team VP so I am not that far removed from complaining about the fact RM got relegated.

Hell I'm not that far removed from getting vaulted for not wanting to hire RM by some of the people who want to sack RM now. :)

For someone to have ZERO doubts after some of the stuff this year would be fairly silly. Yes I have doubts ... I don't think it weakens my argument to admit that.

If I'm honest ... I'm not genuinely worried we'll be relegated. I'm very worried about the impact on our finances of finishing bottom half v. a top 7.

I don't think this year has been SO bad (yes it has been bad) that it has wiped out last year's positive elements. Even then, even if it did, then we're just back to neutral.

This year would have to be SO bad that it wipes out last year and then is so horrible on top of that that we want a manager fired. I can't imagine anyone genuinely thinking that is the case. We just aren't there yet. Anything else is crystal ball nonsense. Nobody knows. Go with what we know ... and what we know is: we don't know yet. So he stays and we support him until we know better.

He needs a third year. Yeah obviously if we were bottom at Christmas next year (or something really horrible happens this year) we'd not give him the full year but bar something extreme you need to give a manager at least three years (especially a guy who booked such a high points tally just a year ago).

Anything else seems short-sighted ... I said this when people wanted to fire Moyes: there really aren't a lot of good managers banging about. If there were we'd be finishing bottom half all the time because there are a lot of teams with more money than us who usually finish below us. We've had a better (albeit in both cases far from perfect) manager than they have for most of the last decade plus so we've finished higher than them. If it was that easy to hire a great manager we'd be in serious trouble.

You've been missed, man.

Awww ... thanks! I miss this place too. I miss last year's vibe SO much. I think a lot (not all but a lot) of our angst is because last year was so much fun. Yeah we missed CL but overall what a year and what a come down this year has been. That said many people thought we'd have a dip in the league (didn't expect this though) but do really well in Europe (TBD ... god I hope so).

COYB! FFS please CO!

Its the reason Pool swerved. He wanted 100K a week which our salary structure couldn't afford plus he also wanted CL. He actually accepted less from City than he wanted. We could have obviously bought him before he went to Swansea.

How much is Ballotelli on then? I think Liverpool chose Ballotelli over Bony and Remy because they incorrectly thought that Ballotelli was the better player. I think all three would have been offered wages of around 100k a week. The Telegraph states that Ballotelli is on 90k a week, with an additional 40k a week thrown in if he stays out of trouble. So that's circa 130k per week http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-after-he-agrees-to-significant-pay-cut.html

How do we know that we cannot afford 100k per week wages? We were capable of paying Arteta and then Fellaini 75k per week almost ten years ago, when our revenue was far less than what it is now, and the new TV deal will have our revenue at near double what we had when we first started paying Arteta 75k per week.

I don't agree that our top rate of pay is not capable of increasing beyond 2008 levels when our revenues have risen so higlyh since then. Also, we have lots of players on high wages who haven't contributed anything. Get rid of them (Distin, Alcaraz this summer, and Gibson, Hibbert, Osman and Kone etc the next summer) and we can easily add an extra 30k on to the supposed 75k maximum.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/roberto-martinez-no-issue-everton-8722747

Martinez discussing the anxiety of the fans at home and the difference between the PL and EL campaigns.
It'd be time to go if he was making changes based on likely crowd reactions, so it was a somewhat reassuring read in that sense.

However, the crowd needs to be brought back onside eventually, and I don't see that happening until Martinez shows a willingness to be ruthless with ageing or underperforming players.

The thought of another season of watching the likes of Howard, Naismith, Lukaku, Jagielka and McGeady try to play like Barcelona is less than appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back