Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
* heads to Tesco.com and orders massive shipping container full of Domestos

sold out.webp

Okay fine I'll do one tl;dr about this if you insist!

Interesting question.

I'm a big sample size guy. I played poker and now I have a regular "business-y" job and in both situations I need a large sample of data before I draw any conclusions. 72o can beat AA a few times -- doesn't mean it's a better hand. Heads can come up 10 times in a row -- doesn't mean it's not a 50/50 chance.

So it's not that I don't think it's valid to discuss so much as I think people are jumping the gun. It's a debate with insufficient data (both pro and con) and that's never a good debate on either side. So we end up spinning our wheels and getting angry because neither case is that strong in terms of evidence.

Obviously I want to keep RM but not because I KNOW he's a great manager; I don't know yet one way or the other but I have some evidence he might be great (and some he might not be) and I don't think the risk of firing him (potentially losing a great manager) is worth the reward (starting over again with a new random manager) at this time.

We had a good-great year and this one is TBD (but heavily leaning toward a bad year granted). Sacking him now just seems absurd to me. It's not that I think it's impossible RM might not be the right fit.

I was Team VP so I am not that far removed from complaining about the fact RM got relegated.

Hell I'm not that far removed from getting vaulted for not wanting to hire RM by some of the people who want to sack RM now. :)

For someone to have ZERO doubts after some of the stuff this year would be fairly silly. Yes I have doubts ... I don't think it weakens my argument to admit that.

If I'm honest ... I'm not genuinely worried we'll be relegated. I'm very worried about the impact on our finances of finishing bottom half v. a top 7.

I don't think this year has been SO bad (yes it has been bad) that it has wiped out last year's positive elements. Even then, even if it did, then we're just back to neutral.

This year would have to be SO bad that it wipes out last year and then is so horrible on top of that that we want a manager fired. I can't imagine anyone genuinely thinking that is the case. We just aren't there yet. Anything else is crystal ball nonsense. Nobody knows. Go with what we know ... and what we know is: we don't know yet. So he stays and we support him until we know better.

He needs a third year. Yeah obviously if we were bottom at Christmas next year (or something really horrible happens this year) we'd not give him the full year but bar something extreme you need to give a manager at least three years (especially a guy who booked such a high points tally just a year ago).

Anything else seems short-sighted ... I said this when people wanted to fire Moyes: there really aren't a lot of good managers banging about. If there were we'd be finishing bottom half all the time because there are a lot of teams with more money than us who usually finish below us. We've had a better (albeit in both cases far from perfect) manager than they have for most of the last decade plus so we've finished higher than them. If it was that easy to hire a great manager we'd be in serious trouble.

Awww ... thanks! I miss this place too. I miss last year's vibe SO much. I think a lot (not all but a lot) of our angst is because last year was so much fun. Yeah we missed CL but overall what a year and what a come down this year has been. That said many people thought we'd have a dip in the league (didn't expect this though) but do really well in Europe (TBD ... god I hope so).

COYB! FFS please CO!
What on earth was all that about?

Annyone else think we've been massively unlucky this year both in games and with injuries.

We have indeed.

Which is why the poor managerial decisions have been even more critical.

That may not be a bad thing, though......if we had had been getting better results due to more competent reffing and less injuries then we might still be labouring under the belief that Bobby was a guru and eventually the reality would have taken us by surprise when it dawned.

Been reading the latest from Rm. He has to make decisions for the best of the team and not just to keep people happy.On Sunday took Mo off because he and Macca do the same job, right decision to sub Mo but if they do the same job why were they both on in the first place. All decions have to be for the benefit of the team and he is not afraid to make them???? Add to that quote "If I can't please everyone, I am sure that everyone who loves the club will be pleased if we can get the right results at the end of the season.” For me I would ask in his opinion what is the right result at the end of the season and how is it going to be achieved? For me just more blah, blah, blah.

Probably saying the same things to the Wigan fans on their website in their last season in the PL.

Been reading the latest from Rm. He has to make decisions for the best of the team and not just to keep people happy.On Sunday took Mo off because he and Macca do the same job, right decision to sub Mo but if they do the same job why were they both on in the first place. All decions have to be for the benefit of the team and he is not afraid to make them???? Add to that quote "If I can't please everyone, I am sure that everyone who loves the club will be pleased if we can get the right results at the end of the season.” For me I would ask in his opinion what is the right result at the end of the season and how is it going to be achieved? For me just more blah, blah, blah.

Probably saying the same things to the Wigan fans on their website in their last season in the PL.
Its easy in hindsight to say besic and mccarthy should not have played together. But we had plenty of chances to be a couple of goals up and should not have lost a lead. . I think Martinez is being over cautious in his recent selections but 1 loss in 9 league and cup has been needed after a poor xmas period.

And we have been playing on Thursday/Sunday too. It can make a difference!

Saturday 21 Feb Chelsea 1 Burnley 1
Saturday 21 Feb Tottenham 2 West Ham 2
Thursday 26 Feb Fiorentina v Tottenham
Sunday 1 March Chelsea v Tottenham

Who will be better prepared for the League Cup Final?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back