2023/24 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be more difficult, he either gonna sit out the last year of his contract or except if he wants to keep paying footie he got to accept 15 to 20 grand a week contracts at other clubs
He's on 70 grand a week here?

Using your figures, 12 months with us nets him 3 1/2 years wages elsewhere, plus a better deal for signing on a free.

He ain't walking away from the best deal he will ever get.

He did genuinely look like he was going to be a world beater under Carlo. I remember how devastated we all were when he got injured in the last game of 2020-2021 preseason!

Can’t say I ever thought that. Stones was light years ahead, and Branthwaite has already shown more.
Neither did I. He did look like a decent player at one time (potential to challenge for the first XI), yet since then the decline has been cataclysmic.

As I said elsewhere, it's telling that he's played a total of five games for Southampton in the Championship before he was frozen out. Dyche doesn't favour him, too.

I find it so odd that about 3/4 seasons ago people were talking about him playing for England, as was Godfrey. How can players fall off so much? Are they simply not being managed correctly? Holgate I’ve never considered terrible and Godfrey should have retrained as either a left or right back.
I don't think he was ever that good anyway but it's not odd even he was. There's been loads of players who have actually got England caps who've ended up becoming journeymen nevermind people who might have been talked about as getting one.

The replies to that says a lot.

Since Moshiri, we've not been a great club for developing players.

Lashing an often injured Holgate next to Keane and a PL record number of defensive configurations did the lad no good. He's a centre half and we'd have him full back, defensive midfield or whatever. Sometimes in a 2, then a 3.

Similar with Godfrey really. I'm 50/50 on whether they're just crap, or as a club we've been setting players up to fail.

The replies to that says a lot.

Since Moshiri, we've not been a great club for developing players.

Lashing an often injured Holgate next to Keane and a PL record number of defensive configurations did the lad no good. He's a centre half and we'd have him full back, defensive midfield or whatever. Sometimes in a 2, then a 3.

Similar with Godfrey really. I'm 50/50 on whether they're just crap, or as a club we've been setting players up to fail.
Having a different manager and coaching team every year won’t have helped matters. Club has panicked and jumped from one kind of manager to the next with no long term plan. Players have to take some responsibility but we must be one of the worst clubs to come to as a young player. You’d hope that’s changed now.

Having a different manager and coaching team every year won’t have helped matters. Club has panicked and jumped from one kind of manager to the next with no long term plan. Players have to take some responsibility but we must be one of the worst clubs to come to as a young player. You’d hope that’s changed now.

Exactly.

The last 2 being Bielsa or Dyche says it all.

Never thought he had the physical characteristics of a PL centerback. Was always a tweener, not tall enough to handle the aerial threats, not broad enough (think Tarkowski) to create space for himself to leap, not fast enough to make up for his lack of size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back