New Everton Stadium

I'm not sure who in Government makes decisions like that, maybe the secretary of state?

Everton have done everything possible to appease these heritage people but these freaks have to justify their existence somehow.
But they have justified their existence by making us change things. Including preserving the docks underneath.

I just don't get why they are adamant it shouldn't go ahead. They haven't provided any good reasons for that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the LCC completely ignore their recommendation and give us planning permission.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting, because we'll see those with an agenda jumping all over this and calling for it to be either denied or called in by the government.

Actually I read the Historic England statement a bit differently. It was always 99% certain they would ask for it to be called in with a request to refuse given that their remit is to conserve as is or return to original or sympathetic to original use. Anything outside of that they are basically legally & morally bound to object. However, they have stressed our cooperation, sympathetic approach to design and basically written the wording in their final paragraph that will be used by the minister responsible to either refuse to call it in or call it in but then approve it. This is the most ‘we know we technically have to do this but we know you will over rule us’ wording I can see in any of their major recent formal objections.

But they have justified their existence by making us change things. Including preserving the docks underneath.

I just don't get why they are adamant it shouldn't go ahead. They haven't provided any good reasons for that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the LCC completely ignore their recommendation and give us planning permission.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting, because we'll see those with an agenda jumping all over this and calling for it to be either denied or called in by the government.
Must have missed that we are preserving the docks underneath. I thought we were draining it and then filling it in. Has that changed?

Liverpool One didn't involve the filling in of a dock though. Liverpool One was a replacement of the likes of the Moat house hotel, the derelict council offices on south john street and the old bus station. The dock was long gone.

Did the Heritage crowd complain when the dock next to this became a sewage plant?

Actually I read the Historic England statement a bit differently. It was always 99% certain they would ask for it to be called in with a request to refuse given that their remit is to conserve as is or return to original or sympathetic to original use. Anything outside of that they are basically legally & morally bound to object. However, they have stressed our cooperation, sympathetic approach to design and basically written the wording in their final paragraph that will be used by the minister responsible to either refuse to call it in or call it in but then approve it. This is the most ‘we know we technically have to do this but we know you will over rule us’ wording I can see in any of their major recent formal objections.
It was up to the club to recognise from the off that filling in the dock was a red line that consevation groups would never wear. They thought they could blag it...as per 'kin usual. Now we'll be dragged into a long drawn out inquiry and the moment may be gone for any partners lined up.

It's the same old amateurism we've been used to with these divvies for decades now.

"But, but, but...look at the public consultations lad".

FFS.

It was up to the club to recognise from the off that filling in the dock was a red line that consevation groups would never wear. They thought they could blag it...as per 'kin usual. Now we'll be dragged into a long drawn out inquiry and the moment may be gone for any partners lined up.

It's the same old amateurism we've been used to with these divvies for decades now.

"But, but, but...look at the public consultations lad".

FFS.
Planning legislation has recently changed , with an emphasis on allowing development as I understand it. Nothing to worry about here.

Planning legislation has recently changed , with an emphasis on allowing development as I understand it. Nothing to worry about here.
The damage will be done, even if it finally gets permission. UNESCO and Heritage England aren't a couple of nimby middle class neighbours who will be ignored quickly. This will be drawn out and costly.

What it all boils down to is that this is another Everton FC stadium wing and a prayer plan.

I've forgotten how many times I've stated that Everton FC + stadium schemes = disaster in the making.

Must have missed that we are preserving the docks underneath. I thought we were draining it and then filling it in. Has that changed?
Must admit I always thought that the stadium was being built in such a way that if need be in the future the dock can be returned to it's original use, that's why there was a lot of focus on an underground car park.

Not just you mate.
Once thier obligatory posturing is laid out earlier in the piece there is a definate swing to what I take it they see as inevitablity.
The last sentence says it all.

You can be sure also that LFC will be pulling levers all over the show with this application. They want the city; they never tire of trying to claim it for themselves right now. It's key to their marketing strategy that LFC = Liverpool and all that goes with it. For its neighbours to have an outstanding stadium in an outstanding location that's impossible to ignore locally, nationally and globally is a development they cant put up with.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back