New Everton Stadium

I struggle with that argument, the area is a headache for this government and they are well aware, they could build everyone mansions, deliver the worlds greatest infrastructure, get the RS relegated & still wouldn't win a future election.
Not an argument mate, more of an observation, and when you look at at who made previous interventions (Pickles} and why as listed in that article I think it is a justifiable view. The exception is Northampton which was reportedly on the brink of financial collapse. This particular Govt. seems even more ideologically-driven than Maggie Thatcher, so a high profile intervention in a labour-controlled Council would provide great optics for their followers.

If there's a suspicion of wrongdoing/potential fraud within the council, with hints that it reaches high up in the food chain, it wouldn't make much sense to just take over a particular department.

I really really do not think the Govt think they're going to stride into Liverpool and be welcomed like liberators. It's going to be run by civil servants anyway...

I struggle with that argument, the area is a headache for this government and they are well aware, they could build everyone mansions, deliver the worlds greatest infrastructure, get the RS relegated & still wouldn't win a future election.
Peteblue for Mayor.... lol

If there's a suspicion of wrongdoing/potential fraud within the council, with hints that it reaches high up in the food chain, it wouldn't make much sense to just take over a particular department.

I really really do not think the Govt think they're going to stride into Liverpool and be welcomed like liberators. It's going to be run by civil servants anyway...
The Mayor and the Chief officer involved have already been suspended, In Big Joe's case he has gone anyway, so the civil servants could focus on those areas of activity. Why should there be ramifications across the board for Education, Social Care, Public Health, Environmental Health, Leisure Services, Waste management etc. Have there been any accusations of mismanagement in these activities ?

The Mayor and the Chief officer involved have already been suspended, In Big Joe's case he has gone anyway, so the civil servants could focus on those areas of activity. Why should there be ramifications across the board for Education, Social Care, Public Health, Environmental Health, Leisure Services, Waste management etc. Have there been any accusations of mismanagement in these activities ?
If there's evidence of corruption in an organisation, it is never confined to one particular branch. Doesn't matter whether that's a council, a bank or charity.

I think we should be careful of overplaying exactly what is going to happen here - some civil servants will be drafted in to oversee the orderly management of the council - they're not resurrecting Pinochet to be our glorious leader.

If there's evidence of corruption in an organisation, it is never confined to one particular branch. Doesn't matter whether that's a council, a bank or charity.

I think we should be careful of overplaying exactly what is going to happen here - some civil servants will be drafted in to oversee the orderly management of the council - they're not resurrecting Pinochet to be our glorious leader.
With respect, I think that is a perjorative statement. However, I don't want to sidetrack the thread any more than I have already, so I will leave it there.

Not an argument mate, more of an observation, and when you look at at who made previous interventions (Pickles} and why as listed in that article I think it is a justifiable view. The exception is Northampton which was reportedly on the brink of financial collapse. This particular Govt. seems even more ideologically-driven than Maggie Thatcher, so a high profile intervention in a labour-controlled Council would provide great optics for their followers.
lol Yeah... "Government ask civil servants to manage the council in a city you probably never visit or care about" is going to go down a storm in Tory marginals.

Well my certainty it wouldn't happen has changed with the facts.

But that doesn't mean it cant still go wrong. FWIW I think it will be built. But this project will be put back a lot of time with this development.
And there are no facts to make anyone believe that this situation is not exactly as it seems...a government official wanting a little more time to rubber stamp this .....in light of current circumstances.
Get your spoon ready.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back