Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

RB Leipzig

Proper confused by this re-start not gonna lie. Subs are being asked to social distance so possibly they'll sit in the stands.

If the threat of the virus is enough to require social distancing on a bench how on Earth can they play a contact sport?

Proper confused by this re-start not gonna lie. Subs are being asked to social distance so possibly they'll sit in the stands.

If the threat of the virus is enough to require social distancing on a bench how on Earth can they play a contact sport?
I think the idea is to do as much as possible. Since the subs don't have to sit near each other, they can ask them not to. Every bit helps I guess.

I think the idea is to do as much as possible. Since the subs don't have to sit near each other, they can ask them not to. Every bit helps I guess.

Exactly. I think coaches being asked to wear masks as well, being another example.

People will catch it, it's inevitable, so the clubs and league are doing everything in their power to lessen the chances.

You know how they can lessen the chances even more?

Not re-starting the league.

Not heard that suggestion before! (I have of course, I am being facetious).

I am suposing many clubs want to still be in existence to be able to play again when a vacine is found and available. As that could well be a year or two off yet, so that means no this season and no next season, and maybe no season after either. Which is why they are trying to re-start now. Many disagree of course, that is their prerogative.

But I am sure you have had this discussion eleswhere on the forum, this isn't new news.

Everything is going to have to find a balance. I don't want to sound like the kind of guy who takes a rifle to the state house, but we can't leave everything shut down forever. We will have to reopen with some changes still in place.

We certainly, 100%, unequivocally do not have to re-open meaningless football matches in the midst of a pandemic.

Not heard that suggestion before! (I have of course, I am being facetious).

I am suposing many clubs want to still be in existence to be able to play again when a vacine is found and available. As that could well be a year or two off yet, so that means no this season and no next season, and maybe no season after either. Which is why they are trying to re-start now. Many disagree of course, that is their prerogative.

But I am sure you have had this discussion eleswhere on the forum, this isn't new news.

Yeh and I'm glad to have it back to watch the team and support them I just find it hilarious they're pushing to bring it back, which must mean it's safe to bring it back, but then they're like "actually you two can't sit next to each other but you're cleared to go in for head-to-head challenges". Baffles me.

We certainly, 100%, unequivocally do not have to re-open meaningless football matches in the midst of a pandemic.
Like any business, they will go bankrupt if they don't start playing again before total normal returns. The game may be meaningless, but a lot of people have made their livings off it, and that part is not meaningless.

Like any business, they will go bankrupt if they don't start playing again before total normal returns. The game may be meaningless, but a lot of people have made their livings off it, and that part is not meaningless.

These teams will not go bankrupt missing out on 10 games of revenue. The bigger teams are fine, the smaller teams are receiving aid.

Everything is going to have to find a balance. I don't want to sound like the kind of guy who takes a rifle to the state house, but we can't leave everything shut down forever. We will have to reopen with some changes still in place.

There is a balance though. Between lockdown and professional sports that can't socially distance re-starting. I'm not sure we should even be out of lockdown, never mind be at the stage described.

These teams will not go bankrupt missing out on 10 games of revenue. The bigger teams are fine, the smaller teams are receiving aid.
When you add in that they figure to be getting no gate revenue for at least half of next season, plus the FAs will have to really shell out to prop up the lower league clubs, it becomes a dire situation pretty quickly. I don't know the specifics, but I see this more as a survival move than a greed thing.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back