Relegation 23/24 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iraola and Heckingbottom possibly done enough this weekend to avoid any sack talk over the international break.

In a way I'm pleased for Heckinbotham. He was completely thrown under the bus by their failed takeover and then not making any serious signings until the last week of the transfer window. The line ups he was having to put out in the opening weeks of the season wouldn't have been good enough to finish top 6 in the championship.

They could've sacked him aswell after losing 8-0 to Newcastle so there's been patience and now they're starting to believe they can pick up points.

At home to Bournemouth straight after the break. Win that and they're 1 point off 17th with some other winnable home fixtures coming up.

There's three divisions developing within the PL...

1/ City down to Newcastle
2 Brighton down to Fulham
3/ B'mouth down to Burnley

No way are Fulham in Brighton category this season. Yes last season as they were excellent from back to front and in top half pretty much all season but they're miles off it so far. 10 goals all season. Nearly scored that in the away games (9).

No way are Fulham in Brighton category this season. Yes last season as they were excellent from back to front and in top half pretty much all season but they're miles off it so far. 10 goals all season. Nearly scored that in the away games (9).
I'm leaving out form and prospects and looking at this statistically as best as I can approximate it to.

I'm leaving out form and prospects and looking at this statistically as best as I can approximate it to.

Might just be the kit but Fulham remind me a bit of Leeds last season.

They're in tight games, they look "o.k". But they don't score or win many games at all so sleepwalk into bottom 3. I think in next few weeks they'll replace Bournemouth as the team the promoted teams target to catch.

They need a good January transfer window. Last January of course Leeds signed Georgino Rutter for 35m who didn't score a single goal for them in the prem.

In a way I'm pleased for Heckinbotham. He was completely thrown under the bus by their failed takeover and then not making any serious signings until the last week of the transfer window. The line ups he was having to put out in the opening weeks of the season wouldn't have been good enough to finish top 6 in the championship.

They could've sacked him aswell after losing 8-0 to Newcastle so there's been patience and now they're starting to believe they can pick up points.

At home to Bournemouth straight after the break. Win that and they're 1 point off 17th with some other winnable home fixtures coming up.
Completely agree. Clearly they made the decision over the summer that they were happy to take one year of TV money and three of parachute payments, and hope to maybe stay up but plan to go down.

It's probably the correct decision too given their financial position because of how lucrative the parachute payments are - you can spend 100m trying to stay up and not achieve it or you can solidify your finances for years to come by pocketing the money instead of investing in the team. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

Anyway, having made that decision it would be wrong to sack the manager who got them all this money for the consequences of their decision to trouser it- if they do go down it's not on him and he deserves a crack at bringing them back up. But then football clubs do the wrong thing all the time so who knows what they'l do.

Completely agree. Clearly they made the decision over the summer that they were happy to take one year of TV money and three of parachute payments, and hope to maybe stay up but plan to go down.

It's probably the correct decision too given their financial position because of how lucrative the parachute payments are - you can spend 100m trying to stay up and not achieve it or you can solidify your finances for years to come by pocketing the money instead of investing in the team. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

Anyway, having made that decision it would be wrong to sack the manager who got them all this money for the consequences of their decision to trouser it- if they do go down it's not on him and he deserves a crack at bringing them back up. But then football clubs do the wrong thing all the time so who knows what they'l do.

They were supposed to be taken over by a Nigerian "billionaire". However he was going to fail the fit and proper test so that alone shows how dubious his wealth is. The Prince Abdullah guy who owns them decided not to bother putting in any money for last months of promotion season (they were actually under a transfer embargo in the last few months of last season).

Eventually once the season started they signed Hamer, Cameron Archer and then McAtee on season loan who was a big part of their promotion success. The two permanents make sense as they'll be two of the best players in their positions back in championship.

Must be so frustrating supporting the Sheffield teams. Wednesday have had a tragic last 25 years just yo yo ing between championship and league 1 and look like going straight back down after the ridiculous decision to sack Darren Moore.

Sheffield United can never build on things when they get a promotion to the prem either. Talking a city where both teams get 30k + attendances when they're at the top end of the league so there's genuine potential with both as seen in the 1990s.

With the current upturn in form, I'd say we are on for 50 points.

That''s still a big ask. Need to be winning far more than 1 in 6 at Goodison. Away form will balance out after xmas as have to go to all of Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and both Manchester clubs in second half of the season.

40-45 point range is very possible now which I would not have been saying during the last international break.

There’s no way we should be in the mix. IF…and it’s a bit if we keep our core fit.

Pickford. DCL. Tarkowsi/Branthwaite. Doucoure. Tbh you’d also argue for our wide midfielders…we have next to no strength in depth if we had an injury crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back