Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross is developing into the playmaker- I know he just said that to cover up for not being able to find one but Ross has done a very good job. He certainly has the ability to pick out that key pass into empty space.
I agree that he is talented and can pick a pass but , for me , he still does not influence play enough to be the guy that we need to unlock packed defences

still a long season, and it's only early.

His first season was fantastic, but he was extremely poor, and chatted far too much BS last season.

This season, he's started positively, and hopefully he has learned from last season, but we'll see, we're literally five games in.

I'm in the middle with him, but he still obviously will have my support just because he manages Everton.

As I have said fairly consistently through last season, that was a formative experience for Martinez, but it was the formative experience he was always going to have and in some ways needed to have.

Developing a new system, a new way of playing is always a challenging process. Given he had a lot of older players (some of them have been moved on) you could see he would run into difficulties. I can see that we have emerged at the other side of them now, and we have emerged stronger than before. We now have players who have bought into his way of playing, or alternatively players he himself has recruited to play in his system. Those who couldn't adapt, were unable to or didn't feel it necessary have been moved on.

There is a sense of calm and continuity that I liked about Moyes and I also like about Martinez. In his transfer dealings he rarely panics with signings and keeps the level of recruits we have per season at a manageable level. This was another quality of Moyes. We would add 1-2 to the squad each season in terms of transfers, and 1-2 would improve to be ready to step into the fray. Think how long Jagielka and Baines waited until they were eased in when the team allowed it.

Martinez is similar to this. We saw it last season with Stones, in season one with Barkley, this season with Galloway and Browning. He hasn't managed to acquire our much needed "number 10" but Martinez is able to see the bigger picture. He will not spend silly money on a player who isn't right for us. If you are building for the long term, what is another 6-12 months to wait in order to get the right player.

This calmness is translated into his tactics. Much like Moyes before him he has a calm and clear approach to the game. While these approaches differ greatly and are criticised by some for being too stubborn I think it has benefitted us for Martinez to stick to his approach.

I look at Liverpool now and the Echo are their fans are rightly saying they have no idea what their "identity" or "philosophy" is. These were catchy words Rodgers used to go on about consistently yet have no completely disappeared. They have gone from being a possession team, to a counter attacking team, to a side that controlled the game with a deep lying playmaker, to a side that played with 3 at the back and were hard to beat, to a side now that lump the ball forward to a big oik Benteke.

What this leads to is a group of players who have no idea what they are meant to be doing. Players are brought in to do one job, then that changes the following season and again the following season. Martinez came in for some stick last year for not changing things at the first sign of trouble like Rodgers, but in the end he has changed it so much and so often they have no idea what his end goal is.

By sticking to our convictions we have been able to ascertain who does and doesn't fit that system and slowly see improvements. rather than questioning the method we can question the personnel and find the bets suitable players to fit it.

Beating Chelsea 3-1 at the weekend was not a fluke, and the Echo are correct to say that sort of win is two years in the making. I watched our defenders, be they the majestic Stones dribbling it past their attackers, but also Mori, Jagielka and also Galloway moving the ball out of defence and you realise you are watching something very special. We had tired and demoralised one of the nastiest and best attackers in the league (Costa) to the point that he couldn't chase us anymore. This was always Martinez's vision and we are slowly starting to see the benefits of it.

To arrive at this point has taken time and a fair bit of patience and endurance. It has meant giving game time to Barkley, Stones, Lukaku etc and persevering with them even when they were struggling. They are all ready to be match winners now on the biggest stage.

I think we are on the brink of something quite special under Martinez. I hope he and the players don't let us down!

What a fantastic post.

@Dithering Dougie take a look mate

Chelsea - won 2, lost 1
Arsenal - won 1, drew 1
City - drew 1, lost 2
United - won 2

In total, won 5, drew 2 and lost 3.

It's a superb record so far, really. Totally vindicates his approach to football.

far better to have a team that can beat the big boys and work on making them more consistent than trying to improve the quality of a team that consistently lay down and die whenever a heavy hitter rolls into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back